Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Krylon paint.

This is a discussion on Krylon paint. within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; I am looking for facts here not opinions, so please if you havn't used this paint, don't post here. I was searching around and saw ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Krylon paint.

is .

Member #
    I am looking for facts here not opinions, so please if you havn't used this paint, don't post here.

I was searching around and saw lots of people saying this paint will chip, but then posts from people who have actually used it saying it's held up great for years? All I want to know is for anyone who has used it, how did it hold up?

is Thanks for showing up 2 months
    late winter...

Member #
    Whats most important is using good plastic adhesive spray to avoid chips. The paint itself isn't so much the problem, clear coat will help also.

Super Moderator
    is sick of the furniture store
    calling me to come back. All I
    wanted was one night stand...

Member #
    I've seen it used first hand on idler wheels and ski loops, both which were flaking by the end of the season. You also have to keep in mind that any sort of rock chip will help induce the flaking process, so areas prone to abuse (like idlers and ski loops) will be more prone to flaking.

is got a new track and new pants.
    successful trip

Member #
    i did painted a cover and ill see how itt holds up...i just sanded it and sprayed it on

BOTTLE FED
    is WOW! been awhile since I've
    been on here!

Member #
    I have used it on my belly pan and It looks like garbage by the end of the season but the body shop claims there is really no paint that will hold up on that type of plastic because it emits some kind of chemical or something.

But my cousin painted his hood screens with it a few years ago and they still look excellent. If you avoid parts prone to shock and vibration you should be OK.

is Got my first ride of the year
    in!

Member #
    [color=hotpink][font=Comic Sans MS]I used it on my bogey wheels, top/front hood piece and the piece that goes around the gas cap and handle bars. I ended up just buying a black gas cap/handle bar piece after I had painted the yellow one black cuz it was starting to bubble around the gas cap from getting gas on it.

The bogey wheels have held up ok, some chipping but that is to be expected with getting hit with ice chunks all the time plus I didn't sand them before I painted them.

The front hood piece I just painted around the edges where my wrap wouldn't cover. I've only had one little chip on that and just touched it up with black nail polish[/font=Comic Sans MS] [/color=hotpink][]

[color=hotpink][font=Comic Sans MS]I don't remember if I did a clear coat or not. I don't believe I did. It's only been one winter but it seems to be holding up for the most part.

Just make sure you spend LOTS of careful time sanding, prepping, and cleaning first. [/color=hotpink][/font=Comic Sans MS]

is Yeah two belts in one weekend,
    nothing like ridng a cat lol

Member #
    I'll know in a little while how it holds up on metal. I sand blasted all of the loose rust and paint off then cleaned the parts with denatured alchohol. I did my front/rear skid arms in black. We shall see how it comes out.

is Without snow Lot's of beer to
    drink summer sucks !

Member #
    Used it on my hood vents seems to be holding up decent prep for sure sand and make sure its spotless before fresh paint let it cure a while before you use it .

is .

Member #
    I bought a can, I was told for things like smaller screens etc, it doesn't hold up well, but for things like gas caps, consoles, hoods etc. It holds up well (I know the guy at the hardware store pretty well and he paints his sled with it). For 5 bucks if it doesn't work I guess I'll just get it redone professionally next year. I also have a heater that will be good for this I'll leave it by it for an hour or two since my garage is pretty cold right now.

is spent 80%of my money on women
    and booze...the rest I wasted.

Member #
    If youre going to paint plastic parts, then get spray paint thats made for spraying on plastic. The platic paint has a flex additive that helps it to bend a little without flaking or chipping. Also, if you paint something thats going to have chunks of ice flying at it (idlers, ski loops, belly pan, etc.) then it dosnt matter what type of paint you use, its almost def going to chip.

Wether you paint metal or plastic, its important to sand/scuff the surface you want the paint to adhere to. Then wipe it down with acetone. The paint and surface you are painting should be the same temp and above like 55 or 60 deg. Basically just follow the directions on the can, it helps a lot.

All this stuff is important when using spray bombs. Kryon, Duplicolor, or any other. There isint much difference in the different brands of paint. The inportant thing to remember when using any kind of paint is that the prep is the most important. If you take your time and prep everything good, then you can def do a pretty good job on most surfaces with Krylon.

hope this helps, good luck

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links