Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

polaris 600 backfiring

This is a discussion on polaris 600 backfiring within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; earlier this fall the sled was backfiring when it was cold, but then when it warmed up it was fine. now i just went through ...

Thread: polaris 600 backfiring

This user has no status.

Member #
    earlier this fall the sled was backfiring when it was cold, but then when it warmed up it was fine. now i just went through the rebuilt the primary (cause it needed it) and went threw the carbs, put it all back topgether and now it runs great when i start it, it hasnt backfired once, but when it gets warm and i give it gas and get the track spinning and then let it go back to idel, then it starts backfiring, but once again once i get the rpms up it runs good. its just when its ideling once its warm. need to give it a compression test still, but dont have a tester (they feel the same when i spin the clutch)

any ideas on whats wrong????????????????

BTW: the sled is a 2001 edge x 600 all stock

This user has no status.

Member #
    try going through your carbs again and check the adjustment on your choke, also change out the fuel with some fresh stuff.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by feebles
    try going through your carbs again and check the adjustment on your choke, also change out the fuel with some fresh stuff.
    ok, i know how to adjust the choke, but is there a line or something that i should set it at, how do i know if it is set right

is suffering from a sore butt

Member #
    I chased a backfire pretty much all season last year. First I thought it was the crank out of phase. Had the crank shop check it and it was fine. Then I chased every imaginable electrical problem. Everything was fine. Then I went hard after fuel problems. My fuel system was so clean that I couldn't possibly have a problem there. My problem turned out to be the tiny brass taper on the end of the fuel screw was broken off and stuck in the carb body. My backfire was through the exhaust. I don't know where yours is. Eliminate every possible problem in your carburetors before you move on to other things. I had my motor completely torn down last year and rebuilt the top end for what turned out to be a carburetor issue. I even bought a parts motor to swap out all the ignition components. All a waste of time and money.

Once you figure out the problem and get it fixed, make sure you check out your fuel pump. I ruptured diaphragms twice last year while the sled was still backfiring.

Here's a link to my troubleshooting thread last year. Something might give you an idea here: http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=5256

This user has no status.

Member #
    http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/105766-choke-problem post #10 has a diagram

Links