Snowmobile Fanatics banner

how long do u let your sled warm up?

7K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  BISSHYS REPAIR 
#1 ·
im just trying to get some ideas of how long to let my sleds warm up. how long do you let yours? i try to let mine warm up at least 5 min. any replies welcome.[:eek:)]

#27 ·
I got wiseco's. I jam the end of my tether cord against the throttle block to raise the idle to around ~3000rpm (it won't idle otherwise when cold). I let her idle like that while I get suited up, check oil, check all bolts for tighness, jump on suspension a bit to free it, pull sled down trailer. Then I will open the hood, and feel the block. If it's only lukewarm, I will let her idle some more. When it is hot to the touch, but not so hot I can't hold on to it, I will begin leisurely driving it around for the first mile, then I ride normally.

Yes, cold siezures are a big problem, and more-so with aftermarket pistons. My sled still has 145psi compression after 2000 miles on my wiseco's. Amsoil synthetic, 90 octane, and my warmup method has done this motor well, it rips for an older 440, ask anyone I ride with.

-Dean

#28 ·
Originally posted by Michael
[br]as long as it takes my hand to go from the pull cord to the gas
That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard...

Originally posted by Michael
[br]it does bog and try to stall until you get to about 30 then it idles right up
Now that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Want to know why it bogs? BECAUSE IT'S NOT WARM ENOUGH.

I hope your engine blows. That's just wrong. Take care of your equipment. [:(!]

#30 ·
Im pretty impatient so... i usually start it up and get it to idle on its own. then I go around and pick up the skis and track a few times to make sure everything is loosy goosy. Then depending on the tempurature I tip it on its side and run the track a little, then take off. But to answer your question, the proper way is what the other guys mentioned above, if you have the patience and want to take better care of your rig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.