Helmets...what is your helmet/goggle combo?
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Helmets...what is your helmet/goggle combo? within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; Looking only for opinions on MX/backcountry style helmets and goggle combos. I am not opposed to spending some coin for a light weight and good ...

Thread: Helmets...what is your helmet/goggle combo?

This user has no status.

Member #

Looking only for opinions on MX/backcountry style helmets and goggle combos. I am not opposed to spending some coin for a light weight and good fitting combination. That being said, I am not too impressed so far and have tried on quit a few. Post up what you have and how you like/dislike the helmet or goggle. I will likely be going with a yellow lense as we do a bunch of night riding and I am not into swapping out lenses...if it comes to that I will buy a second pair of goggles if necessary. The other thing is I plan on wearing a Klim Arctic balaclava if it has any bearing.

I did get my hands on a brand new CKX Titan modular backcountry helmet(CKX TITAN Snowmobile Helmet - The most versatile Helmet). What a great idea and the view from the goggles is better than any I have tried. Problem being I bought what should have fit my head and am not convinced they are sized correctly(yes a gamble, I know with it being shipped from Canada). I should have gotten an XL but went with a L in gloss white based on measurements. Check out the link if you haven't already....they have some great features for the pricepoint....if you can get your hands on one at this point. I will sell this helmet if anyone local is interested as I'm sure you want to try it on. PM for info.

Went to a couple stealerships in a past few days and tried on FXR, Castle, 509, GMax, BRP(can't do the Doo), and maybe a few others. One dealer was really pushing a new GMax MX style with a full visor(electric or double available) that was made to work with goggles. It's the GM11S(https://www.denniskirk.com/3307605XL...ad=45712965997). Sorry for the long winded link...but it's Dennis Kirk, a reputable place. This helmet is pretty cool and fit well for the price but it is on the heavy side. You can literally just flip the shield up and leave it, put some goggles on and go. If things get crappy, you take the goggles off and drop the electric shield, plug in and keep on keeping on. Decent idea but a lot going on and heavy....not sold on it.

Goggle wise...I have tried Sinister x5's by 509 and some Scott goggles that had really nice foam but had a smaller field of vision. I haven't tried any Castle or Oakley goggles yet as they don't seem to be as available. Any others worth checking out?

I have two modulars I can fall back on if the weather is that fridgid or whatever.....just want a basic helmet/goggle combo that has been proven to work for others. Thanks Fanatics for your time and happy trails, snow covered that is.
    Last edited by whitexc; 12-31-2016 at 06:53 AM.
    Polaris...it IS the way out!

Super Moderator
    is ND Meatball Crew

Member #
    Helmets and goggles are all too subjective. What works for one person may not work for the next. Hell, what I thought I liked one season, I didn't like the next. Not to mention sizes between brands don't always fit the same.

That being said...

I'm currently rocking a Motorfist Dominator helmet. I've used it for one season and like it so far. Really like the weight (or lack there of). I've primarily used it with my 509 Aviators and Stage Stunt goggles, along with a Klim Glacier balaclava. Both goggles seemed to seal well. I have some 509 Sinisters I keep for spares as well. Not sure I've even worn them with this helmet yet.

I've previously wore 509, Fox V2, and HJC CL-X4 helmets. The 509 fit a little goofy around the ears, but was tolerable (especially with a balaclava). The Fox was too tight for me in the jaw line. I had the cheek pads sewn flat so I could wear it, but was never super comfortable. The HJC was probably the best fitting helmet I've had, and the Scott goggles I had at the time fit it like a glove.

If you're interested in something, it's always best to try to find it somewhere locally to try it on...or...find a website with a really good return policy.

Happy hunting.
    2011 Polaris RMK Assault 800 155"
    1998 Arctic Cat ZR 600 EFI "Custom"
    1996 Ski-Doo Formula III 600

A mountain lion roaming the prairie found a bull, killed it and ate the entire bull. With a heavy belly, unable to walk, the lion laid in the tall grass moaning and roaring. Soon a hunter, attracted by the roaring, shot and killed the lion.
    Moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Nice, thanks Quinlan. I am definitely purchasing local after trying stuff on. Not gonna make another one of those blind moves. I so wish the Titan fit cuz it's a really nice set up that is very light. We drove to a dealer the other day that advertised Motorfist gear but they had about nothing. I have their Carbon bibs and a few shirts....they make really nice gear. 50 and rain tomorrow so no big rush here.
    Last edited by whitexc; 01-01-2017 at 07:29 PM.

is brused battered and smiling
    from ear to ear

Member #
    I still swear by the Oakley Wisdoms...but I'm considered old school too.
    Nothing else matters when you're in the mountains, sucking up that thin air sitting on a sled and its so quiet it hurts your ears

is time to make the firewood!!!

Member #
    as mentioned above, Try helmets and different goggles on at store. What works for me may not work for you. I use polaris moto helmets and either 509 sinsiters or progrip light sensative. They both seal well in my helmets. You will have to see what works in the helmet your using. Remember you want to unprotected skin. Frost bite happens in a hurry!!!
    2003 Pro x 700
    almond/blue,10-66, black/red,team 719, T-flow, 440 mains

1997 XCF 440

1997 XCR440
    HSP Black,S51HR, Team Sec,19/39,380 main,17.5 PAJ's,ufo's,T-flow below shelf,159 P-4 nozzles, stock 6DH7 needle #2 pos.

1998 Indy 500

1987 Sport 340

Past toys;
    1998 Explorer|1999 F-250 SD V10 | 1997 F-150 SC 5.4L | 1995 F-150 RC 5.0L | 1980 F-150 RC 5.0L | 1980 Chevy CK 1500 350ci 3.4 ton lifted springs |

1998 XC 700 | 1996 ULTRA SP | 1995 XCR 600 | 1991 RXL | 1992 XCR 440 | 1990 INDY 400 | 1987 INDY 400 | 1987 INDY TRAIL |

This user has no status.

Member #
    I just got my first helmet goggle setup from FXR. I've ridden once, first 10 minutes or so I could feel the wind around the goggles, but it settled down. Never got fogged until we stopped for an extended period of time. I got clears and tinted goggles, both work great. I mainly got the setup for the visor when riding towards the sun I can tip my head down and block it. So far so good.

This user has no status.

Member #
    So....update....i have since tried on a bunch of helmet/goggle combos and after all that decided to keep and use the new Titan. It really is a nice helmet. I don't have much time into it yet but I did notice a huge difference in the weight between that and the modular helmets. The goggles have great vision and seal up really well. I am waiting for CKX to release the goggles separately so I can purchase a pair and have some for day (tinted) and night (clear/yellow). Thanks for the replies.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links