96 xcr 440 carb help
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

96 xcr 440 carb help

This is a discussion on 96 xcr 440 carb help within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; I have this sled here I just cleaned the carbs and put it back together. Would idle but wouldn't go anywhere without the choke. So ...

Thread: 96 xcr 440 carb help

is Northern ontario with about 2
    - 2 1/2 feet of snow. But
    f**king cold!! sat at - 47
    with the wind chill last
    night!

Member #

96 xcr 440 carb help

I have this sled here I just cleaned the carbs and put it back together. Would idle but wouldn't go anywhere without the choke. So I raised the needle all the way and the sled idles but as soon as I give it throttle it just Boggs and wants to die but when I hit the choke it starts again and goes. So I put one size bigger pilot in. Went from a 50 (which I thought was big to begin with) to a 55. And the sled is doing the same. Idles fine but when I go to give it fuel it just Boggs and when I flip the choke it picks up again. Now at 55 pilot, 270 main, needle clip at the very bottom and air screw at one turn. Is it
    possible I have to give more pilot ???? Or is this a Lean main jet ? Thanks

with the wind chill last
    night!

Member #
    I just looked in the air box and I have a little puddle of fuel at the bottom.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Bad floats? Im not sure what the 96 440s are supposed to have to jets. Sorry I cant be much help.
    Rip Nasty '98 XCR 440 with 136" SLP Extension 1.25" Ripsaw
    Carbs: 340 Mains, 40 Pilot, 6DH7 Needle, 159-P4
    Air Screws 0.75 turns
    Driven: 21:41 Gears, 52-36 Helix, spring in 2nd hole

This user has no status.

Member #
    You have an underlying problem in the fuel system, you must address this first before you start randomly throwing oversized jets in to mask the real issue. In general Polaris sleds are jetted pretty fat from the factory and this provides decent leeway for big temp swings.

First off, put everything on those carbs back to stock. It sounds to me like you have an air leak or something else restricting fuel delivery.

Start from the gas tank and move thru the fuel system right into the carbs. Check the in tank pickup for clogging, if the sled has been sitting a while I would recommend tank removal and ensure you clean it thoroughly and replace with fresh premium fuel. I have seen several in tank pick ups rotten right off the barb just floating around inside the tank due to old gas and age. Check you fuel lines or even better buy some high quality fuel line and replace for piece of mind, its cheap and easy, make sure the lines are clamped so no air can get in. Fuel pumps rarely go, but again if the sled has been sitting, diaphragm kits are cheap and easy to install. Check the pulse line for the fuel pump coming off the crankcase, make sure its well sealed. Double check your carb cleaning job, check floats for cracks, ensure the height is set correctly, and as I previously mentioned put all jetting specs back to stock for now. Make sure your carb slides are synchronized as well. Closely inspect your carb boots for cracking or delamination, an air leak here can cause your problem. That should keep you busy and along the way hopefully solve your problem.
    '98 XCR 440 "Red Rocket"

370 Mains W/TempaFlow Airbox Vented Under Shelf 1/8 Turn CCW
    17.5 Pilots W/UFO's & Torque Flows
    P-4 286 Needle Jet W/6DH7 Needles #2 Position W/1 .020 EGT Shim
    S53Red Weights, Polaris Almond/Gold W/911 Response Cover
    TEAM TSS98 66-44-.46, Red/Blue
    22/41 Gearing
    Camoplast Ice Ripper
    Kimpex Arrow Skis W/Woodys Carbides
    Koso EGT/H20/RPM Digital Gauge

'16 Switchback Pro-S 800 Snow Check

with the wind chill last
    night!

Member #
    I've checked the carbs half a dozen times so I know they are good. I've adjusted the chokes and synced the carbs. Everything is absolutely back to stock in the carbs which is a 260 main, 50 pilot, needle clip in middle, air screw at 1 turn. All the lines are new. And they all look in good shape as well as the pulse line. The only thing I noticed was the main line coming from the tank to the pump wasn't full of fuel. So I took compressed air and blew it in the tank. No fuel went into the main line but as soon as I took the line off the tank fuel started coming out. Is it possible that the pump can be clogged at all? Would water in the fuel cause this kinda issue ?

This user has no status.

Member #
    If there was a ton of water, yes. Sometimes if the sled has been sitting a long time and has a lot of water in the fuel, it can freeze and cause hairline cracks in the pump housing, rare but possible. If not sure, just pull the tank and clean it out and replace with fresh fuel. When you manage to get the sled running have you checked your carb boots and crank seals for possible air leakage? If air is getting in any of those spots that could be your problem too.
    '98 XCR 440 "Red Rocket"

370 Mains W/TempaFlow Airbox Vented Under Shelf 1/8 Turn CCW
    17.5 Pilots W/UFO's & Torque Flows
    P-4 286 Needle Jet W/6DH7 Needles #2 Position W/1 .020 EGT Shim
    S53Red Weights, Polaris Almond/Gold W/911 Response Cover
    TEAM TSS98 66-44-.46, Red/Blue
    22/41 Gearing
    Camoplast Ice Ripper
    Kimpex Arrow Skis W/Woodys Carbides
    Koso EGT/H20/RPM Digital Gauge

'16 Switchback Pro-S 800 Snow Check

Remove Ads