Organized Trail Systems
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Organized Trail Systems

This is a discussion on Organized Trail Systems within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; The Manitoba sno-pass thread got me thinking. High insurance rates, over worked volunteers, rising fuel prices, etc, etc. Who are these trails really for and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Organized Trail Systems

This user has no status.

Member #
    The Manitoba sno-pass thread got me thinking. High insurance rates, over worked volunteers, rising fuel prices, etc, etc. Who are these trails really for and do we need them? It seems like these trails are causing more harm than good to our sport. Since I am from the praire provinces, and I can only speak for myself, I think that there is no good reason for us to even have a trail system west of Ontario. What are the opinions of other people from similar areas?

Super Moderator
    is Probably Banning Another Damn
    Phone Sales Spammer Right Now

Member #
    I think that these trail systems being there are part of what is keeping these areas open as a winter recreational area.

Administrator
    This user has no status.

Member #
    I think they are worthwhile and fun if they aren't abused. Ditch riding here after one of our million MPH winds making every drift rock hard is a miserable experience and I'd rather drive fast on a smooth trail.

Plus the sno-passes give us access on trails in provincial parks, riding in the duck mountains without a groomer would suck so bad. We rode on a trail that wasn't groomed for a week and it was 1 to 2 foot moguls the whole way. That sucks like crazy, I'd rather have people have trail systems and not have people abusing them.

It's the lack of appreciation that gets on our nerves. Don't forget, there are hundreds of people who pay, don't complain and appreciate us. They all just keep quiet though. One or two people start shooting off at the mouth about trail pass costs and stuff, and it just looks bad.

Remember, most of the time you do good work, you don't hear anything. You make one mistake and people are all over you.

Same goes here, all the people who enjoy the trails are quiet and ride them. Then you get the assholes who want trails, but don't want to pay for them.

This user has no status.

Member #
    See the provincial park part I can see. It is also alot more environmentally friendly to have a trail system in a park. The trouble is that people are always going to abuse trails and people are always going to bitch. That's human nature no getting around that. As for winter recreation areas staying open, we always rode in the parks before the trail systems came to be. The fact that someone came and put signs up on trails we rode for years and drags a groomer thru there doesn't change it for us. It just means that now we pay for something we've done for years, which we have to since we are the "good guys".... you know pay if you want to play, etc.

This user has no status.

Member #
    riding w/o a trail system out here in the west would suck,the local groups and other agencies do a great job grooming and maintaining our trail systems.the small amount of money to register your machines is cheap price to pay. i for one agree to having a nice smooth trail to the play areas.i live near some small towns up here in the cascades that depend on the winter recreation for their livelihood, it's bad enough that they have to depend on mother natures cooperation.i register all my machines,every year.it's a small price.

Super Moderator
    is Probably Banning Another Damn
    Phone Sales Spammer Right Now

Member #
    You know Greezemonkey, I do see your point on that.
    I also have a belief that once they start charging for things, they automatically seem to get the right to close these things down.
    It's sort of a raw deal, but things seem to work out that way.
    Is it really fair in that respect? no. But what can we really do about without losing our riding areas?
    I'd rather pay a little and keep my area to play with my friends and family.

This all being said, It is just my opinion as I don't have any thing that proves my theory so please don't flame on me for this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Oh I don't flame. Some people take things too personally. People are allowed to disagree. Some areas it does help such as you stated in the mountains, or like P-man said the parks. However we still used to ride these places (remember I am talking about my riding areas I have no idea what yours is like). I would be only too happy to show people around in my areas. The point I am trying to make is that I think the trails will ultimately lead to the closure of areas, maybe not directly, but indirectly. Remember snowmobiling existed long before trails did.

Administrator
    This user has no status.

Member #
    If we stopped grooming, nobody would stop you from going where the trail used to be. Most of our trails are in ditches anyway. But it would be rough and it would suck. I mean I like ditch banging as much as the next guy, but ditchbanging gets old after awhile too.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yes you're right, nobody would stop me. I'd hear alot less about the evils of snowmobiling, how someone from the city got torqued out of their touque and killed themselves or somebody. Maybe it would be rougher, and I know that your area would be bad since you are out in the prairies, but not all areas are like that, and I bet you'd still love snowmobiling.

Administrator
    This user has no status.

Member #
    I would still love sledding, but why should we give up the trail system, due to a couple of people being assholes? I still believe there are more silent people who like us, than these loudmouthed people who don't like us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links