Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Good sled for somebody with a bad back?

This is a discussion on Good sled for somebody with a bad back? within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; I put my 02 ZL SS back together for my wife & dad to ride, but since it's a spare sled for me, the rear ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Good sled for somebody with a bad back?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I put my 02 ZL SS back together for my wife & dad to ride, but since it's a spare sled for me, the rear suspension is set up VERY stiff. Dad is talking about getting his own sled if he winds up enjoying the experience (he used to ride years ago), but he's got a bad back, so that's going to be a consideration in sled buying. I'm trying to do the homework so I can provide suggestions.

Riding will be slow paced, certainly not agressive like I typically ride. Trails out here are groomed regularly, but can easily start out smooth as glass on Saturday morning and have 1-2' moguls by saturday night. Ungroomed feeder trails are always bumpy. The sled needs to be able to smooth out big bumps, though they will likely be ridden over at slow-ish speeds (certainly under 40mph).

Dad weighs about 200lbs, and will be a sit-down rider, though right now I'm unsure whether he'd be more comfortable on an older style sled, or if a rider-forward position would be more comfortable for him.

Another issue is that he's afraid that he's going to get cold. I recall that some sleds had the heat exchangers under the foot areas instead of up in the tunnel, so that may be a benefit as well.

I'm looking at sleds like Polaris Classic, Arctic Cat ZLs, Skidoo RSX, and maybe something from Yamaha if they offer something that actually has a rear suspension in something affordable.

Of course I'm also bound to whatever winds up being available locally when he's ready to buy, but this is why I'm doing my homework ahead of time. My guess is that he's going to be shopping in the under-$4k range, and is much more likely to prefer spending under $3k. Due to the speeds and terrain that we're going to travel, he has no need for high horsepower. A 550 fan would be adequate, a 500 or 600 liquid would certainly be overkill.

If you're going to provide a suggestion, please tell me WHY. I don't benefit from a post that just says "ZL" with no explanation why.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Polaris Classic, since I seem to hear good things about the M-10 suspension. There also seems to be more of those for sale in good shape with modest miles compared to similar sleds from 'cat or 'doo.

Thanks for the help.

Throttle Jockey
    is Another Ticket, awesome, At
    least this time I won't loose
    my license, I hope..

Member #
    I think in 02 Polaris had a 700 and 500 (or 550f) snowmobile with the M10 suspension. M10 provides 10 inches of travel and is one of the BEST suspensions you can get, especially for fast studder bumps. And Im pretty sure it is easily/very adjustable for personal adjustment.

You can always buy a sled and drop an M10 under it, but that gets slightly costly. Some of the slightly newer polaris models also came with M10 in 05 (I think) on most models. I also think that they had a couple Consumer IQ's with m10 under them.

Ive also only ridden a REV once, from an out of stater friend of my moms. It was an 800 x package and I was extremely impressed with its handling. They get pricey but they also come in a 550f and are the "rider forward design"

Hope this helps some

Luke

JD
    This user has no status.

Member #
    I think you'd have a tough time beating a Polaris EDGE chassis with a M-10 suspension, such as the Classic. For the reasons you mentioned. Are you buying now or in the spring. Used sled values seem to be high in my area right now, but in the spring I'm sure they'll go back down to where they were last spring/summer.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I doubt he'd be buying this year. I think this year he'll use my sled to see how he likes it. He might look this year, but I'd be more inclined to think that he'd be looking for next year.

is still trying to sell my old
    cover, cdi, wiring harness and
    tach...

Member #
    i agree 100% with JD. an edge chassis with an M-10 is they only route to go in my opinion. The m-10 will eat up all the bumps on the trails. That suspension is designed exactly for what your dad seems to want. It is a bit pricey but will be worth every penny.

is the cost of the Pro is now
    less than $100 per mile,
    sweet!

Member #
    I am also in agreement on the M-10 Edge chassis sleds. I don't think that you can beat the suspension on them for a cushy ride. You also might want to look at the special edition ski doo touring sleds. I believe they were built only in 98 and 99. They were 700 and 800 which I know is overkill for what you said, but they have electronic adjustable rear suspension tensions on them. I haven't seen too many around, but I know I've seen a couple in the $3500-$4K range.

is Went for first ride of year

Member #
    Polaris also has sleds with a ace suspenion, which is m-10 that you control ride from the handle bars

This user has no status.

Member #
    Edge chassis with M-10, My dad loves his.

arctic cat fanatic!
    is is going to cancun on sunday!

Member #
    id really say a zl500 or a z440. i just sold my 98 zl 500 on ebay and i only got 960 bucks! but thats a good thing for you! that thing had 13.5 inches of travel and had enough power to do whatever he'd probly ever need to do. for me it was a nice sled, i grew up on that thing! its gonna be hard to see it go, but it was time for an upgrade. best of luck.

others to consider (imo) would be maybe an poo xcf 440. maybe a jag too. even those little z370's ride real nice. we own a 2002 z370 2003 z570 and my sled was a 98 zl 500 (just bought a sabercat! haha thats like the tenth time ive mentioned that on this site since yesterday) and out of all those that 570 rides like heaven!!! i just hope that it'd be in the price range.

that 370 and the zl were pretty close but i put some stiffer shocks in mine so the 370 was a bit smoother. with the right shocks those zl's ride pretty dang nice. but even then in my opinion nothing i have ever ridden comes within an earshot of how smooth that 570 is!
    best of luck
    alex

Loves the fluffy...
    is is waiting for snow

Member #
    Or, just one with the edge chassis. Fox clicker shock makes it a dream to ride on, compared to my old 95 RXL Indy....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links