Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Best wood for snowmobile trailer?

This is a discussion on Best wood for snowmobile trailer? within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; I just stripped the deck of my tilt trailer as it was all rotted out. The wood was tongue/groove plywood, which I am going to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best wood for snowmobile trailer?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I just stripped the deck of my tilt trailer as it was all rotted out. The wood was tongue/groove plywood, which I am going to replace it with, about 7/8". Anyway, what I was wondering by anyone else who has replaced a deck, does it need to be pressure treated ply or will regular plywood do just as well. I am leaning towards regular as its cheaper, and I think it will last as long.

is Still no riding in for me yet
    this season.

Member #
    Regular has been fine for me. Before you screw it in get a good coat of deck stain on each side, top-&-bottom. This will help preserve it and it looks good.

I like the redwood stain;
    Attachment 143800
    Attachment 143795

Super Moderator
    is I have a new stack of Monster
    stickers. Free, just PM me

Member #
    Pressure treated FTW!

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infpre.html

This user has no status.

Member #
    Depending on what trailer you've got, 7/8" sound's Excessively thick !
    We just re decked the trailer here, and used 5/8" pressure treated, and had to notch dovetail's into that to fit into the front of the frame.

If you have a covered trailer, pressure treated is'nt as important, just seal it real well top, and bottom.
    If it's not covered, Pressure treated all the way.

Rick

This user has no status.

Member #
    Pressure treated, if you use untreated, cut the time in half that your old deck lasted. if you are going to go to all of the trouble and expense to stain it you are going to have spent nearly as much as pressure treated and still not have as good a product. Do it right the first time.

No longer riding a BRP machine
    is thinks the CYI and COI are
    abusing the rating system BIG
    TIME

Member #
    Pressure treated 7/8" plywood, then spray it down with spray on bedliner.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Marine Grade! Expensive but will be the last deck you ever install. I used outdoor structureal grade ply when I redid my trailer a few years back...only held up for three seasons....didn't have the cash at the time to do it right....I will this time though! Her is the link for my rebuild....

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/53458/display.aspx

This user has no status.

Member #
    cedar. lol it would be very spendy but cedar has a natural ability to stand up against water. just a good water seal on it every couple years.

no matter what wood you use after a trip you should wash the trailer off as soon as possible.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a Lil-Tag along 2 place tilt, no cover. The main deck is basically two sheets and teh front section is one cut triangular. I live in the mountains and cant wash my trailer off at all pretty much all winter, so it always sits covered with slush and snow, so maybe the pressure treated really makes sense. Its about 7/8's but it is so flaked and rotted it could be 3/4 or 5/8 also. I think I will go pressure treated. I may add the plastic ski runner strips also as my old wood got pretty ripped up by the carbides. Mine had wood slats bolted on for the track grip, seemed ot work fine, I am going with that again instead of buying plastic traction sections. I had sections of the frame replaced last year as they had rusted out pretty bad, if I can get 2-3 more sreasons out of it I will be happy, I think I am going with a covered one after that.

is sad my mom is dying in the
    hospital

Member #
    you dont want spray on bed liner on the trailer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links