Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Fixing the speedometer

This is a discussion on Fixing the speedometer within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; I'm finally getting around to fixing the speedometer on my 99 XC, I was just curious though as to what I should order exactly. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing the speedometer

is anyone know of any place that
    builds race legal clutch
    guards?

Member #
    I'm finally getting around to fixing the speedometer on my 99 XC, I was just curious though as to what I should order exactly. I am replacing the bearing and the speedo key, but should I order 2 bearings or just the 1? And is this all I need to order?

is has a snowmobile in the back
    of his S10 blazer

Member #
    hmm. what happend to it. my dads decided to stop working on his 99 xcsp 700. i figured it was the cable. but havnt gotten around to look at it.

Ninja
    is is Sleding ALL DAY TODAY

Member #
    yeagh mine stoped workin all i did was changed the speedo key and regreesead it all

builds race legal clutch
    guards?

Member #
    Just stopped working. Ive been told it is the drive shaft bearing that goes out and then breaks the speedo key off and it causes the speedo to quit working. I was then told it is a good idea to replace it because then the drive train under the tunnel wears out completely and that will need to be replaced. Even if it did not wear anything else out I would still like to replace to know the exact miles on the sled, I only rode about 10 miles with it not working. When did your dads speedometer quit working?

ninjallo, did just replacing the key fix it? I'm still going to replace the bearing as well.

This user has no status.

Member #
    What happened to the speedo on your 99 XC?
    I bought my g/f a ZR 500 EFI this summer. The speedo was out and I guess the guy that had it put a whole new speedo/cable on it only to find out it STILL did'nt work. So when I got it I took the speedo gear off, wiped up the grease and found out the speedo key was broken. I ordered 2 speedo keys(one extra) and some low-temp grease from countrycat.net. Should be in the mail by Monday and im hoping just the new key will fix it!

is Got an Idea for the Assault
    this summer, might look very
    different next winter.

Member #
    Did mine last fall. The key, the one bearing on the clutch side, and the cable is what I needed. First I got the bearing and the key and put it almost all the way back together, but figured I would test the cable and found out it had fused solid, so I had to get that to.

You shouldn't need anymore then that unless you happen across something else while you have it apart.

I wouldn't just put a new key, there is a reason the key broke and if your cable is good the bearing is most likely the problem. Its better to replace it too and only have to do the job once, then put a new key and have it not work again after a few miles.

builds race legal clutch
    guards?

Member #
    Speedo key is broken off. I was told a worn bearing breaks it off, so I'm replacing that with the key.

driftpounder, I had already planned on replacing the bearing with it. Or are you saying to replace the cable too?

This user has no status.

Member #
    haha. I'll see how the new speedo key holds up by itself. Thats why I got two. I'll get a new bearing and put the second speedo key in if it turns out to be a bad bearing.

is Got an Idea for the Assault
    this summer, might look very
    different next winter.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris_xc_racing
    Speedo key is broken off. I was told a worn bearing breaks it off, so I'm replacing that with the key.

driftpounder, I had already planned on replacing the bearing with it. Or are you saying to replace the cable too?
    I would just check your cable and see if its working before you get it all the way back together. just grab the end with a set of pliers and twist it, if it moves freely its good, if it is hard to move or doesn't move at all then its no good and a possible reason that the key broke.

Destroyer of Porches
    is Started teasing myself looking
    at sled prices. Starting to
    get the itch back...

Member #
    I just went through this whole ordeal, and I'm getting my sled back from the dealer this week. $850 later.....Whole driveshaft needed to be replaced. All started with a seized cable

Replace the speedo cable as well just to be safe.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links