Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Polaris xlt 600 special performance

This is a discussion on Polaris xlt 600 special performance within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; Geting back into the sport after about a 5 year break. My sled was stolen and havent been able to get a new one for ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polaris xlt 600 special performance

This user has no status.

Member #
    Geting back into the sport after about a 5 year break. My sled was stolen and havent been able to get a new one for a while, just ran into the oppurtunity to get one cheap so I can try to get my new wife interested. Is there any places to find performance parts for a sled this old? can anyone tell me what generation sled a 1993 xlt 600 special is considered. Is there any reoccuring problems with the sled I should watch out for? Thanks for any help.

If its to loud your to old.... It's a bitch gettin old!
    is hopeful

Member #
    Those machines are bullet proof. Good engine decent ride with i tbeing the special it should have the xtra 10 or 12 suspension with fox shocks. I have had 2 xlt's one 95 and a 97 special and thet were great, not to powerful but still do 100mph. Performance wise make sure the clutches are in good shape clean the carbs and make sure they are in sync,these sleds are kinda fussy about that and also if it is hard starting make sure all the carb vent lines are not pluged and the needle seats are good(not flooding when it sits overnight). Put a DG silencer on it, will sound awesome and save a lil weight. Do a search on the forum for xlt to see what ithers have done performance wise. Then just be safe and enjoy

This user has no status.

Member #
    I think the 93s were 580s. Concentrate on handling mods rather than horsepower mods. I heard those triples don't take to pipes very well.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply when school is back in session I am gonna have the students go thru a check up clean the carbs and what not. Do you know a place to find a synchronising procedure for the carbs?
    Quote Originally Posted by cat_man_doo08
    Those machines are bullet proof. Good engine decent ride with i tbeing the special it should have the xtra 10 or 12 suspension with fox shocks. I have had 2 xlt's one 95 and a 97 special and thet were great, not to powerful but still do 100mph. Performance wise make sure the clutches are in good shape clean the carbs and make sure they are in sync,these sleds are kinda fussy about that and also if it is hard starting make sure all the carb vent lines are not pluged and the needle seats are good(not flooding when it sits overnight). Put a DG silencer on it, will sound awesome and save a lil weight. Do a search on the forum for xlt to see what ithers have done performance wise. Then just be safe and enjoy

is is at full shift-out.

Member #
    Leave the engine stock- the best upgrades you can do with this machine are a set of plastic skis and some clutching.

I want SNOW!
    This user has no status.

Member #
    The first thing I would do is up grade your rear suspension. The Extra 10 & 12's didn't come out until 94' I think.

I have 8500 miles on my 93' and it runs and drives great still, it's bone stock and is very well taken care of, but the rear suspension sucks.

I have also heard that the triples do not like to have an aftermarket exhaust.

Good Luck and enjoy!
    Mike

This user has no status.

Member #
    We had an extra-10 in our 95 XLT and it rode very nice.

is fusion seat swap on the wifes
    sled is done, now for the
    switchy on mine!

Member #
    Extra 10 was in 96, very good, and fairly easy upgrade!

DILLIGAF
    This user has no status.

Member #
    As said by others, some people don't think the engine handles more power. Some of the earlier sleds went through some crank bearings. They eventually added an oil line and a 2nd bearing on PTO?? side, one of the sides.

XC / XCR. Its what Polaris should have built...
    This user has no status.

Member #
    I have had a 93, 94 95 96 xlt tripple in sleds me and my father owned. Our 93, 94 were great but were stolen with our trailer at our machine shop - ballsy people. I had the 94 and my fathers was the 93 long track if I remember the years correctly. The 94 had the fox shocks if I remember? That thing was awesome for trails. no soo good in the bumps but for flats - awesome howl and flat cornering with tripple "pull" These were both very, very good to us. Then we bought some others, mine, a 95 xlt xtra 12 which was great - the handling thing was not an issue for me - people bitch wayyy to much about the little things - loved the challenge and honestly - for the $$$ I paid for it - awesome suspension! That was the best motor of the bunch. I put a DG silencer on it and it definetly had a crisper throttle response and the sound was wicked but not overly annoying. buy a can - now. NOO pipes - ever. Also - I would replace your trailing arm bolts if its the 12 front - I had both of them shear off within a ride of each other. I ended up drilling out the bolts and threads - clear hole and then buying some stainless stell long bolts and nuts from Fastenall. Worked like a charm - SS will twist and bend but it does not break like carbon steel. The next one the 96 was actuall an xcr but with the xlt motor. lost the motor in it around 3200 miles. the best part was that I had just purchased the sled from out of state and it only had about 100 miles under my butt. - everything was trashed gone, some worn, crank bye bye. actually thought the thing handled poorly mostly because it had wayyy to many studs with a newer much more aggressive lug. I am 6'3" and let me tell ya - the cool factor of having a low slung racer went away in about 50 feet. I would have loved it when I was 16. Put a replacement motor off of Ebay in it for $600 and finally sold everything, both sleds and the trailer. I was done with the sport for a while due to lack of snow anyway. So, XLT - great sled with the xtra set up, get the best shocks you can afford, get a DG can on it, raise the handle bar angle to your needs, take out the skid frame at the end of the season, take it apart, replace stuff, add more grease fittings to the cross shafts, check your track tension and watch the sliders closely. Pick up a wilwood brake kit for it - the mastercylinder/lever assembly works the nuts and swap out your brake fluid. I also used blue marble oil after the problems with the XCR - looked for something new and went for it - awesome stuff - use it in everything now - wicked clean internals, more snap/free reving and low, low smoke. Enjoy your new toy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links