Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

2002 rotax 800?

This is a discussion on 2002 rotax 800? within the The Performance Tuning Shop forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; a friend of mine bought a 2002 ski-doo summit 800 and we have herd that there is problems with the engine he just put a ...

Thread: 2002 rotax 800?

This user has no status.

Member #
    a friend of mine bought a 2002 ski-doo summit 800 and we have herd that there is problems with the engine he just put a new crank seal and piston rings in we've heard there has been problems with the rings if so how often do you needto replace them?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Have a look on http://www.dootalk.com/
    Flaking rings, low compression..

This user has no status.

Member #
    sp judt do freakwent compression tests. and you will no?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ya, just do a comp test regularly and if the number starts drifting down, do the rings before more damage happens. I have heard around 1200 miles is when they start going, I have 1500 miles on my 02 800 and it still runs great. Worst case, you do rings once in a while. I run my summit on trails, so I never really heat soak it like mountain guys do, so I think that makes a BIG difference.

Formerly known as luvsnowncold
    is I am quite bit shocked to see
    HCS got sold to new owners.

Member #
    800x here. no rings problems so far. basically it has been pretty good to me except that damn recoil starter when you pull it sometimes it skips on you espically on warm days or long trips then shut it off during your break time then start it up.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ya, I really think the only time you have to worry is if you constantly heat soak 'em. Thats why the summits do it, and the MXZ's don't. They are basically the same inside, but MXZ's have A LOT less load. Blasting across a field or trail is nothing compared to going straight up a mountain. Some of those mountain guys hold it to the bar under full load for minutes at a time. This is what kills 'em.

TXC
    This user has no status.

Member #
    garret- check this site out on the explaination about the carburator differences of that year that do's used on there 800. Very interesting in the least.
    www.xtreme-performance.com/snowarticles02summit.htm

This user has no status.

Member #
    Originally posted by TXC
    [br]garret- check this site out on the explaination about the carburator differences of that year that do's used on there 800. Very interesting in the least.
    www.xtreme-performance.com/snowarticles02summit.htm
    My 02 is out-of-the box and I experience none of what they're describing. Best running sled I ever rode. Apparently 02's are luck of the draw.

TXC
    This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a friend with one and he loves his too. No probs.

This user has no status.

Member #
    yea he had a part wore outin the clutch and it cept blowing belts so the firstbelt he blew he was going 140km and it rapped around the crank shaft took out the seel luckely there are to so he did not blow a piston he drove it most of the year like that cause he could not figure out the problem took it to the dealer twice and they could not find nothing wrong finally after the fourth belt they took it right appart and noticed that the crank seal was shot so they reaplaced the seel and the piston rings and took out the mountain weights he only got about 100km on it and the season was over so it should be awsome this winter there are plans for reeds and a can any other sugetions for the sled oh and he is going to gear it up so it should realy fly.

Links