Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

skidoo RAVE Exhaust Valves

This is a discussion on skidoo RAVE Exhaust Valves within the The Performance Tuning Shop forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong with my RAVE Exhaust valves? I have removed them, cleaned them and now they seem ...

Thread: skidoo RAVE Exhaust Valves

This user has no status.

Member #
    Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong with my RAVE Exhaust valves? I have removed them, cleaned them and now they seem to leak an abundance of oil, enough to dirty up everything, and lightly coat the entire engine,???

This user has no status.

Member #
    Where are they leaking from??? Near the engine or the other end??

This user has no status.

Member #
    The other end. there is a little drain hole in the bottom side of the rave housing.

This user has no status.

Member #
    you may have damaged the spring the holds the vacuum resevoir on. i've had that happen before..

This user has no status.

Member #
    Do you know the force and displacement that should be observed in the spring? As a check?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hey Jigs, if your springs are stock and not rusted out or anything they should be fine, make sure that the little red adjusters are turned all the way in, that is the factory position for them. There is an O-Ring that goes on the shaft of the RAVE valve itself and if it is missing oil will leak out but also make sure those rubber boots are on tight and that the spring retainer is in the groove the whole way arround the boot. One final thing, if you clean(ed) the rubber boots with solvent they will expand, I know I had this happen to me the first time I cleaned mine. Simply take a heat gun to them or a blow dryer and evaporate any solvent that they sucked up and they will shrink back to their normal size, dont be shy to get them a bit hot either. Make sure your gaskets are in good condition and installed correctly but since the oil is coming from the housing itself I doubt that the gaskets are a problem.

You can go here http://216.37.204.206/ingles/Skidoo_oem/Skidoo.asp and find your sled and see how the valves go together and if your missing any parts. The section that the RAVE valves are located in is usually called "CYLINDER - EXHAUST MANIFOLD".

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the information! I do believe I sprayed them out with Carb cleaner, and so will give it a look see. The spring retainer is what I will check first, if I remember right it was a bit tricky to get back on. Thanks again, ps any advice on the temp gages, what normally goes wrong with them if they quit working, I checked the connections and all is intact but gage wont register. Anything I can check before replacing?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Are you reffering to your water temperature gage? I don't have one on my sled, but first I'd look at the gage make sure its not frozen or something if not then I would check the connections making sure they were in the right spot (probably not an issue because I think you can only plug the harness in one way) and then check the wiring with a continuity tester (most volt meters have this feature) and if that failed I would probably have a look at the sending unit, put a volt meter to it and see if it is sending out a singnal within specs, If it was then perhaps replace the gage. Hope that helps a bit.

Links