Snowmobile Fanatics banner

95 indy xlt sp 600 top speed???

20K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Branden73 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a [black][blue]95 indy xlt sp 600 [/blue][/black]for a spare sled does anyone know what this sleds top speed should be give or take? Only 1300 original miles, stock with studs I brought it out on Lake Sunapee in NH last weekend for a test run needles to say got smoked by my 04 xc700 like it was standing still of course but I only could get like 65-70 mph does anyone know if this sled is capable of more than that in good stock condition???????????? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

#2 ·
yea it should do around 90 true miles a hour, and maybe more depending on conditions. I know for sure though that any xlt can get more that 65-70 mph. somethings wrong if you can only get 70 mph and wot.

#5 ·
new belts will actually have less top end and much better bottom end while old belts will have much better top end and worse lower end. when you replace the belt, make sure u break it in and go easy on the throttle for the first 20-30 miles and then try your speed run again. if you get the same results, check your clutches. what are your rpms at at WOT and are your clutches fully shifting out?

#6 ·
I guess I'll have to check it at WOT.If this sled wasn't firing on all three would it be noticeable to someone who never rode this sled before??? Guys thanks for helping a rookie learn a little bit I guess I have some troubleshooting to do this weekend I love this sled and love the sleek look of this sled and want to get it running like a charm!!

#9 ·
I have a 96 xlt sp. I had it up to 95 on the lake. My friend has a 93 xlt sp and he says he goes over a 100. He seems to get up to speed quicker. I think his is lighter than mine. He has a standard suspension and I have the x-tra 12. That might have something to do with it. who knows.

#10 ·
The 95 XLT SP with the 12 / 12 is extremely touchy concerning the clutching. I have owned mine since new. The best it ever ran on radar was 100 but that was on a 5° day on ice. On average it would run 90 on radar. If the Drive clutch has the gold spring in it change it for a blue one. Check your suspension for anything that is not greased well and any wheels that might seized. There are 7 grease fittings in the rear suspension. Make sure your drive clutch has some in and out free play too. Especially low milage sleds are prone to things getting gummed up because of lack of use so I would take off the clutches if it was me and throughly check them out. The mono blocks respond very well to porting and polishing as well as shaving the heads for higher compression. And they are reliable as can be. Maybe change the needles and seats in the carbs too , they tend to have a leaking problem and can effect overall performance as well , allthough I never personally experienced that problem with my 95 .

#11 ·
Originally posted by IndyXLTSP600
[br]I guess I'll have to check it at WOT.If this sled wasn't firing on all three would it be noticeable to someone who never rode this sled before??? Guys thanks for helping a rookie learn a little bit I guess I have some troubleshooting to do this weekend I love this sled and love the sleek look of this sled and want to get it running like a charm!!
Yea I bought mine amd it ran quite well but you just knew it shouldpull harder. pulled the plugs presto! the middle plug was pinched shut. New plug and it was a different machine.
Also I've seen ahundred on the speedo.

#12 ·
Thanks Tripplethret seems like you've got this sled figured out top to bottom thanks for all your advice i just bought this sled and brought up to Lake sunapee in NH for its first run and it just seemed like it wasn't all there it ran around 65-70 on lake hard pack like a charm but didn't have that extra juice and seems a little sluggish on the bottom end So I'll be going through it and hopefully I'll have a screamer love this sled and your right with such low miles (1300) on original eng. I'll be going through and greasing everything! I'll let you know how I make out!!!

#16 ·
[br]tripplethret????????? The Belt thats on my xlt now looks ok but how much should I be able to push down on it in between cluthes seems like I have alot of play????????
Put a straightedge on the belt and push down on the belt between the two clutches. Deflection should be 1 1/2". to adjust loosen the three bolts on the outside of the secondary and rotate the plate.

#17 ·
Your top end seems a bit on the slow side, even on a warm day it should run 84/86 mph.
ACEXLT has it correct on the belt deflection though I found my 95 to respond better for downshifting while using the stock helix to adjust the belt so it is just shy of making the sled creep at an idle. You should take the carbs apart for a cleaning too. If you plan to own this sled for any length of time I have a suggestion for strengthening your skid rails so the front pivot arms wont egg-out the holes. Keep in mind I have parts for sale too for this engine as well as heads already cut for higher comp. , adds nicely to the mid-range pull as well as hole shot.[;)]

#18 ·
THANKS TRIPPLETHRET,
I checked my belt deflection and I was right on with the 1-1/2"
but after checking my plugs one was awfully clean furthest to right when sitting on sled this sled is new to me and I can't believe it didn't seem like it was only firing on 2 could I have done any damage riding like that it wasn't long! when I first brought this sled to my house and rode it for a few minutes the skis lifted off the ground alittle.So its back to itself with three firing cylinders just hope I didn't do any damaged riding on only two?? I'll keep you in mind tripplethre for parts thanks again for your advice!!! I'd like to buy another one of these exact sleds if anybody knows of one for sale let me know

#19 ·
I hope you have as many fun reliable miles as I got out of mine. Mine ran flawlessly for 7500mi and then a wrist pin bearing failed and destroyed what had been a real smart running 600. The suspension is awsome and once you get it dialed in to your weight and riding habits it will be hard to give it up. Best of luck.[;)]

#20 ·
[br]THANKS TRIPPLETHRET,
I checked my belt deflection and I was right on with the 1-1/2"
but after checking my plugs one was awfully clean furthest to right when sitting on sled this sled is new to me and I can't believe it didn't seem like it was only firing on 2 could I have done any damage riding like that it wasn't long! when I first brought this sled to my house and rode it for a few minutes the skis lifted off the ground alittle.So its back to itself with three firing cylinders just hope I didn't do any damaged riding on only two?? I'll keep you in mind tripplethre for parts thanks again for your advice!!! I'd like to buy another one of these exact sleds if anybody knows of one for sale let me know
Same here. new plug--mint. Iwould buy another as well

#21 ·
My '95 XCR600 topped out @ 108mph on frozen a lake bed up in Elliot Lake two years ago... The conditions were absoloutly perfect and I had a loonngg stretch of smooth trail and -20C. Didn't keep it there for long as it scared the $hit out of me, not to mention I have a wife and three kids to raise if you know what I mean [;)]. Re-clutched it last year with a rebuilt of a '96 xlt two up. Two different clutches as I can only get up to about 95mph now [:(]

#22 ·
I never checked my top end with the origional helix but I reclutched with a SLP 40-36 dial-a-clutch on my 1995 XLT SP and I got up to about 95 mph (speedo) on Island Pond, VT at -15 with 205 main jets. The 205's are PERFECT for 90% of the riding I do. They are safe down to about -15 (I checked plugs a bunch of times that weekend cause I was so nervous and it was nice and tan even after WOT runs) and they still don't bog and run crappy at 30 degrees. Everyone that hears that machine with its stock pipe and muffler still say it sounds sweet and I can hang with the big boys (Rev 800Ho) up to about 50-60 mph with the clutching.....

#23 ·
my brother has a 95 XLT special and in perfect conditions will hit 105 on the speedo. Clutching is stock, carbs were dialed in perfect and the motor has been completely rebuilt from head to toe. On any regualr day though it usually has no problem hitting 95+ on the speedo, has yet to be radared..Basically I'm just concurring with what everyone else on here has said. IMHO a very good all around sled.

#24 ·
Originally posted by CanadianXCR
[br]my brother has a 95 XLT special and in perfect conditions will hit 105 on the speedo. Clutching is stock, carbs were dialed in perfect and the motor has been completely rebuilt from head to toe. On any regualr day though it usually has no problem hitting 95+ on the speedo, has yet to be radared..Basically I'm just concurring with what everyone else on here has said. IMHO a very good all around sled.
doesn't the speedo stop at 100 on a 95' XLT??? My friend has a 95 XLT special and his speedo stops at 100, as did my 94' XLT.

#26 ·
Yes the 95 changed to the 120mph speedo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.