Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Drag Racing Engine Mods

This is a discussion on Drag Racing Engine Mods within the The Performance Tuning Shop forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; Hey All, Hope this is the correct place to post this. We build and race drag quads on 1/8 and 1/4 mile drag strips. The ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drag Racing Engine Mods

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hey All,
    Hope this is the correct place to post this.

We build and race drag quads on 1/8 and 1/4 mile drag strips. The tried and true setup had been banshee frame with a banshee engine with NO2. We just build our first triple cylinder Polaris based drag quad which we have gotten into the 9s on a stock motor.

My question is, if you could do anything to this motor, what would it be and what usually gives the greatest benefit? Sky's the limit.

We are looking at NO2 or a turbo. We don't have any manufacturers for snowmobile turbos, so if there is a trusted one, please let us know.

FYI. Here is a look at one of our 9s Banshee bikes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/howardscustoms/

Hellbilly Deluxe
    This user has no status.

Member #
    wow that sounds like fun, polaris tripple on a shee[8D]. I wish I knew more about them so I could help out.[V]

is is just checking in. :)

Member #
    Well, it looks like you have a 600 or 700 Polaris Twin, with twin pipes. Decent setup. You should look for an XCR 800 motor and really have fun!!![]

Turbos are tough, there really are no manufacturers specifically for sleds. So mainly you'll see people stick aerochargers or just grab a turbo off a small car and throw them on.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the replies.
    The pics are of a banchee engine. Our our quads have the triple cyls in them.

I guess putting a bottle on them is the quick and easy solution. We blow teh heck out of our Banshee engines when putting a bottle on them though because they are so high strung and we like to run them in the 1/4 instead of just the 1/8 mile. We're hoping we don't go through as many sled engines as that could get $$$.

Thanks for the motor suggestion. I may have to look for one of those to build up while we experiment with the one we have.

Member #
    Ah, okay, I'm not familiar with the Banshee's, I actually hate quads, but what you have there looks sweet. Do you know what engine you have? 500, 580, 600 XCR/SP, 650, 680, 800 Storm, 800 XCR? Then we can throw you a couple of mod ideas.

is Tryin to figure out this new
    formatt. Been awhile since he
    has signed into SF

Member #
    Sounds like some porting and aftermarket pipes forsure. But like 650Indy said, do you know excatly what engine that is?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Just spoke to my brother who does the mod work.

He says we have an Articat 900cc (or 970cc [can't read my handwriting]) engine. He wanted to know if people put the turbos before the carb and force the air through, or do people run the turbo behind the carb and suck the air through...

Any other ideas would be great as well...

Member #
    Normally you put them before the carbs. I wouldn't think that putting the turbo after the carb to suck would be a good idea considering the flamibility issues.

is Tryin to figure out this new
    formatt. Been awhile since he
    has signed into SF

Member #
    You have to be carefull tho when putting turbos on those engines...thay can gernade badly. I would get some porting done. I'm not sure which company would be best for a A/C engine to do the porting. Also a set of pipes would work well...and you should be putting up impressive #'s in the 1/4. I couldn't imagine a turbo in something like that tho..don't know how you would keep it on the ground.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Bob Watkins at Hardcore Performance in Houghton Lake ran a bored and stroked thundercat motor with a huge nos kit i think 250hp shot . It cost him a lot of money to figure it out he may be willing to help on the nos end of things . Most aftermarket turbos ive seen are blowthru one name comes to mind Turbo Phil in Highland MI not sure if hes on this site or not i know hes on hsc PI-2 hes ben doing it for years . Good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links