sealing exhaust flanges(leaking) - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

sealing exhaust flanges(leaking)

This is a discussion on sealing exhaust flanges(leaking) within the The Performance Tuning Shop forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; Why can't you just get a gasket set and replace the exause gasket? Then this summer, take it apart, and replace the old gaskets with ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sealing exhaust flanges(leaking)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Why can't you just get a gasket set and replace the exause gasket? Then this summer, take it apart, and replace the old gaskets with the new ones in the kit. You also make sure that the bolts were tightened down? Under tightening will cause the bolts to loosen and back out, over tightening will either strip the threads out of the jug, or stretch the bolt. I had that problem, those exaust bolt loosen up all the time on my sled w/locktight and lock washers, I just bring a few extra and check it once in a while.

This user has no status.

Member #
    ya, I know I can't spell, exause should be exhaust, thats why I'm a math major and not an english major.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Trust me guys that stuff is good but the Ultra copper is the best for exhaust

This user has no status.

Member #
    Originally posted by iindy650
    [br]I dont have a good seal where my pipes go onto the flanges..
    There is no gaskets there..!!! The pipes are held on w/ springs it's metal on metal.. use the silicone to get a proper seal..

You can definatly use the copper stuff if ya want too.. It's more pricey though it will probably last longer too.. But I have my pipes on and off more times then I care to count so I use the cheaper of the two..

This user has no status.

Member #
    my bad,
    then rust probally got into it and expanded the pipes apart, take them apart, inspect them, and if there is rust on it, smooth it down using some sort of abrasive pad. The reason springs hold it together is cause it moves, if it didn't move, then it would be bolted together and a gasket between the surfaces. look to see if there is rust there first. If you want to go with the RTV, then smooth the metal down, RTV need the absence of air to seal. Rust is tiny little flakes of metal that air got inbetween and oxidized when water was present.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I believe you have confused RVT with anerobic sealer. RVT will seal in the presence of air.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Post pic of leaking flanges. 2 or more bolt C Flange Bracket works. I been using them on my truck after failing inspections for exhaust leaks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links