Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Polaris voltage regulator / stator problem?

This is a discussion on Polaris voltage regulator / stator problem? within the The Performance Tuning Shop forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; Hey guys! I have enjoyed browsing around learning from you gurus! I just acquired my first sled in over 20 years. I was raised on ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polaris voltage regulator / stator problem?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hey guys! I have enjoyed browsing around learning from you gurus! I just acquired my first sled in over 20 years. I was raised on ski doos but came across a deal on an 1995 RXL that I couldn't pass up. It is an EFI sled but I don't have an issue with the EFI portion (I don't think).

The sled starts and runs great for the first 10 minutes or so. Then I get a top end bog which turns into an overall bog within 5 more minutes and if I don't get home quick, I'm screwed. The charging system isn't doing its thing and the sled won't run very long off battery power (brand new battery - checked out OK). I get about 12.5 volts on a charged battery with no load and it drops to 11.8 to 12.0 upon startup. I understand that the EFI requires tons of power at top end and that would be the first place a shortage of voltage would show up.

I hope the problem is very obvious to someone out there and can point me in the right direction.....voltage regulator or stator? I think I have eliminated grounding as a possibility. I don't have a service manual yet but the owners manual gave resistances on the stator and all readings came up good except the one that should have read 288 ohms (mine read 253 ohms...is that within tolerances?) Is there a way you can test a voltage regulator off the sled?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    is looking for a yellow injector
    for a fusion

Member #
    Find the diode on the sled and check the voltage on the battery side while running for 12+ volts DC...it is possible that the diode pack may have burned out. But i'm not sure on how much voltage is supposed to be going into the diode pack from the stator, just know that it will be AC voltage before it and should be at least 12+ volts DC on the battery side

This user has no status.

Member #
    Interesting...... Since I don't have the shop manual, any help with identifying / locating the diode? I assume it will be between the stator and regulator?

Anyway, thank you for the tip. I'll give that a try. I might be pulling the the magneto tonight to see if there are any wires rubbing behind there.

This user has no status.

Member #
    rev it to 5000 and test teh battery voltage ...
    should be at 13v or close .

below that it will be around 12v

after looking at the wiring diagram there is only 2 things it could be ,
    1 the regulator/rectifier
    2 the stator.
    i can't seem to find that diode on the diagram .

but then again it doesn't need one since it has a regulator/rectifier tayht has the diodes built into the rectifier section of it.

there is 3 regulators on that year of rxl . if yours has a gas guage

you could try testing the output from the regulator/rectifier
    by unplugging (its) power wire to the battery . but make sure the battery is connected at all time !!!!
    you should see some prety good power comming from it ..
    if less than 12 v at idle then it may be fried or it could be the stator.

hope this helps ,
    good luck

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thank you for the tips! After looking it over last night and reading these two responses, I'm coming to the conclusion that it must be the regulator / rectifier that MekaniX referred to. I checked the stator resistances again last night and even wiggled the wires to see if there might be a bad connection and found them to be right on the money.

I'm getting a new regulator / rectifier from Polaris this morning and will try it out. I can test it in the garage but all of the snow we had melted yesterday

I'll post results when I find out....good for the archives.

Thanks again!

Spam Artist
    This user has no status.

Member #
    how are you lights etc, Your regulator should not effect the performance of your sled. It will just dim or completly knock out your accessories. But shouldnt do anything to the sled. I'm not sure what the problem is but I'm very sure its not the regulator.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The lights are very dim but occasionally flicker bright at idle. At first I thought this was a bad ground or a loose connection but the more I think about it, I think it almost has to be a regulator problem. Also, the battery is NOT charging....making me think it is the regulator / rectifier.

Now I have mixed feelings.........

Spam Artist
    This user has no status.

Member #
    How long has this been going on? The batery should be able to support the sled for a while before its dead. I guess since you have EFI that will change the performance of the sled wont it? I never thought of that...

This user has no status.

Member #
    It has been going on since I took the first ride this year. Since the sled is new to me, I can't comment on how it ran previously. I was told by the previous owner (father-in-law) that it was only ridden about 100 miles in the past 2 years.

Yeah......I can ride for about 20 minutes....but the last 10 minutes are just limping along. I can get to top end during the first 5 minutes and then it starts to bog out there (the EFI sucks lots of juice in the higher RPM's). Eventually it will run worse and worse until it just plain dies....when the battery can no longer operate the EFI & fuel pump.

I checked the stator resistances and they all checked out OK....I should have the new regulator by tonight.

Thanks again!

Spam Artist
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Yup, sounds right. I wouldnt want to let it die like that to many times... Its pretty hard on your engine.. Sounds like you got it covered...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links