Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

polaris 600 triple wont stay running

This is a discussion on polaris 600 triple wont stay running within the The Performance Tuning Shop forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; Hello gents, Here is the issue. I have an 87 polaris 600 indy triple. I was having trouble with it being a very hard start ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: polaris 600 triple wont stay running

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hello gents,

Here is the issue. I have an 87 polaris 600 indy triple. I was having trouble with it being a very hard start then flooding out last year. I just tried to fire it up again and its a no go. Well I can get it to run with starting fluid but it won't stay running. When it starts to die, I give some gas and and it just gets all "throaty" and dies out. Any ideas? Or more importantly do you need more info to help?

Junior
    is is riding today

Member #
    probely a nice clean to the carbs/ check the fuel lines maybe

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticcatf5
    probely a nice clean to the carbs/ check the fuel lines maybe
    See i knew I should have said that. I completely tore down the carbs and gave them a thorough cleaning. I did a float test on the floats...they float. I reset the idle and air mixture to factory settings. I even sync'd the carbs when it was running last. I didn't replace the needle and seats as they looked good to me, no pitting or abrasions visible. There is fuel from the carbs to the top of the filter, but its just a trickle from the tank to the filter. The filter never gets below half full though.

Last season, when it was running it would really get up go. This year...not so much.

Super Moderator
    is Broke and Broken

Member #
    Sounds like a plugged or partially deteriorated fuel line to me.
    I'd try changing those out and the fuel filter too.

Vdub & 907 For life
    This user has no status.

Member #
    NEEDLES!!! i think happened to my dad and i on our XLT

is is a poor golfer

Member #
    as said before, start with a good tune up. You said it was flooding last year! check your needle and seats, or your jetting is too rich. Check you plug color, you wanna have a little tan/brown color. check the carb sync. Fresh gas, new plug, gas filter. You start a new season, you wanna start it with a nice tune up.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I assume the plugs are clean and are getting good spark?
    And you said each carb has fuel in the lines?
    Is each plug wet with fuel?
    Are you saying it won't start at all if you do not use starting fluid? If it does start, how long will it run until it dies?
    You did check float height?
    The pilot jets are clean?

is banned!

Member #
    Sounds like the classic tale of bad needles and seats, reagardless of appearance.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the direction. Sounds like I am headed to the shop for more carb parts.

So sum up a few of the questions from above. It won't run more than a few seconds w/o starting fluid. The plugs foul out right away. I have pulled the plugs, which have good color and they will be soaking wet. After drying them with a torch, when I try it again they get wet right away. Gas not oil The float height...haven't figured out how to adjust that yet. As for the pilot jets being clean...couldn't tell you. I pulled the carbs apart and gave everything a good soaking in carb cleaner.

Since they are apart this time I am going ahead and install the Power Jet kit from Dennis Kirk.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Power jet kit? not sure what that is. I'd get it running right before more changes. I tink you have two issues and they were covered above.
    When you cleaned the carb, did you pull the pilots? , sounds like one problem. Low speed circuit is plugged.
    Swap need and seat too, flooding will go away. f you have a gas shutoff it won;t continue to leak.
    Don't use quick start in a sled..
    Also get 3 inline spark checkers. They work great and take the guess work out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links