Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Snap-on Vs. Matco ?

This is a discussion on Snap-on Vs. Matco ? within the Off Topic forums, part of the General Discussion category; Well i am in my last year of automotive technology(for my associates) and i am planning on becoming a full time mechanic(either deisel or gas). ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snap-on Vs. Matco ?

Vdub & 907 For life
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Well i am in my last year of automotive technology(for my associates) and i am planning on becoming a full time mechanic(either deisel or gas). Snap-on, Matco offer student discount( 30% off or better),and at the moment I have no idea which company i want to go with. So which one do you guys think is overall better? I want to know all the Pro's and Con's you guys have experienced with snap-on or matcos tools..(

This user has no status.

Member #
    Things may be much different now, but back in the 80's I asked the same questions, snap-on, mac or matco?

Tool quality and warranty were good with all. Then Matco was a little less expensive. I chose primarily Matco while living in Florida. Then I moved to NW Ohio and there was not a Matco dealer that visited the shop. This made for some serious frustration when dealing with warranty, mailing the tool(s) in (at my expense) for replacement. Sometimes it took weeks. I had Matco boxes and loved them.

I don't know how much different the industry is now, I have been out of that trade for more than 20 years.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Chances are both of them will come to your shop, I would wait and see what guy you like better and compare pricing and the tool themselves to each other on every major purchase.

For air tools the ingersol rand will blow snap on out of the water at half the cost. Did back to back runs on that learning experience.
    For things like snap ring pliers snap on or matco wanted 140$ for a blow molded case of 12 pliers, went to napa and got the exact same kit for 60$, literally the same case and everything, if you break a snap ring plier you are using it wrong.

For a lot of little tools like pliers and screw drivers I would price shop the auto stores vs the tool trucks, you might be amazed.
    For the sockets and wrenched I would stick to the tool truck because you don’t have time to be spending almost the same amount of money on a “hope its just as good”.

is been a while...how is
    everyone?

Member #
    I agree with talking to the tool guys at the shop but chances are the OP-er doesn't have a job lined up yet and also needs to go into a job with his tools. I have a mixture of both, with a bit more Snap-On and they both make quality pieces. They will both own you because its like crack....you always want more! Yeah just throw it on my tab....and they love the fact that you give them $50 a week....forever. Just be wise in your decision making.

Super Moderator
    is voting for Hillary in 2016

Member #
    They all made overseas now anyway. Almost all of the snap on tools you get are made in Taiwan nowadays anyway.

This user has no status.

Member #
    A lot of mechanics are using Craftsman wrenches too.

were not here for a long time were here for a good time
    This user has no status.

Member #
    i always called it snap off lol. , but i like snap on boxes and matco tools , matco is less expensive and i think a little better quality, i love my matco ratchet swivle head wrenches i couldnt live without them , they are the ones with the black rubber handles, i have some bluepoint stuff to that i love, you just have to buy what you need and what you want, matco and snap off both come to my shop so i shop off both trucks, sorry kindof got off subject,snapon box , matco tools. be careful you can rack up 20,000 pretty fast , especially if you buy a big box, and they will let you too.
    Attachment 183729

Gathering the pieces
    is Should be riding...but packing
    to go shoot wild boar. This
    should be interesting!

Member #
    A kid that use to work here, went to a tech school...bought the 15 grand in tools deal...now he is looking for a job, and they are looking to get paid...

Get yourself a basic set and then add tools as you need them...

That 30% deal sounds good, till you dont have an income and they come looking to get paid...

and your answer to this will be, "I have a job allready and some other offers if that falls through"

I have been at my place of employment for 10ish years...this is the first time that I am working on a day to day basis...ie..dont come in till thursday then take friday and sat off...

Vdub & 907 For life
    This user has no status.

Member #
    This is the Kit i am looking at from matco (its actually like 53% off). It seems like a good basic tool set, and it comes with a nice size box. I have saved up olmost enough money to buy it $3k+ . Snap-on has the same kit but for $1,000 more. I have had craftsman tools, they are pretty good, but i just seem to break them quite a bit. Plus they don't have a truck that drives to any shops. Basically Snap-on, Matco, and some Cornwell are the only trucks i have seen come to the shops.
    I have heard that Snap-on, Matco, Craftsman, Black Hawk, KD, and Stanley are all made by the same company, but to a different standard.

TECH ED MASTER SET W/BOX

• Tech Ed Master Technician Starter Set with Tool Box
    • This 453 piece tool set represents one of the most comprehensive "Industry Standard" tool sets available to students.
    • Ideal for the OEM bound student or an excellent all encompassing school set.
    • It includes the most popular chrome socket sets in 1/4" and 3/8" drives,, with additional 3/8" and 1/2" drive impact sockets and adapters.
    • Complete combination wrench sets of SAE, Metric, and SAE/Metric flare nut wrenches.
    • Additional general tools including: RMS multimeter with leadsm screwdrivers, snap-ring pliers, Allen wrenches, raditor pressure tester, complete brake and batteery sets, 48 pc master Allen/Torx and driver set.
    • vacuum/pressure tester, a variety of hammers, punches & chisels, pry bar set, torque wrenches, 43 pc ratcheting screwdriver set, fender cover, and a number of other general tools.
    • Master set shown with 4225R 2-bay powder coated rollaway to protect your investment.
    • Master set can be customized with the help of your Matco Tools District Manager.
    • ITEM #TEMASTRB

[kit details]

Part#: 16945496 List Price: $12,062.83 Student Price: $5,731.27

Qty. 1

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have snap on for my work tools and i love them especially because I didnt have to pay for them my home tools are a mix of matco and craftsman fine for home use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links