Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1996 XCR 600 Sp

This is a discussion on 1996 XCR 600 Sp within the Sled Shed forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; Hello everyone, I'm just getting back into snowmobiling again and was wondering what everyone thought of a 1996 XCR 600 Sp, with about 1700 miles. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1996 XCR 600 Sp

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hello everyone, I'm just getting back into snowmobiling again and was wondering what everyone thought of a 1996 XCR 600 Sp, with about 1700 miles. Is this sled a good one, anyone one that has one, or had one, or knows anything about them I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this sled.
    Thanks
    Bryon

This user has no status.

Member #
    Welcome to the Forum.

I have only ridden a 96 XCR once, and it was okay. I had been told they are fast but tough to handle in the trails. They also are heavy and they feel heavy when your drive (pushes in the corners, heavy on the turns, etc.) My limited experiance gave me the same opinoin. But, I was just at the local sled shop this weekend and a guy was bragging on how much he liked his. He claimed it was a real fast lake machine and that he could smoke newer 700 and 800's. I only believe so much of what I hear (if you know what I mean).

1700 miles is low, is it in real good shape and well taken care of?
    Well that is my 2 cents worth. Let us know what happens.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a 1996 XCR 600 and its a pretty decent machine to ride. Its not the fastest and best machine around but its not the worst either. I have had pretty good luck with it.

How much are you paying for the sled is the biggest question? Like Ranglr said 1700 miles is low and if its cheap and in good condition, I think it wil be a decent sled.

Right now I am in the process of repainting and doing varius mods to mine. I personally love the Polaris classic body style. Check out my post xcr 600 new paint scheme.

Later!

This user has no status.

Member #
    The sled looks to be in mint condition, just a small ding in the bumper and a scratch on one of the decals, the guy is asking around $1800 for it, and I'm going to drive about four hours to look at it, so I just want to make sure it is worth the trip. Says it is a well kept machine.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm also looking at a 96 XCR 600, with 1000 miles on a new track and a thousand miles on a rebuilt engine. Whats the difference between the XCR 600, and the XCR 600 Sp.

Bryon

is is gone

Member #
    I think the specials had 38 mm carbs

This user has no status.

Member #
    The XCR SP was the tripple piped reed valve 600 in the aggresive chasis.If you are buying an SP make sure it has had all the updates.They had a fairly bad burble in the midrange.The updates cleaned it up pretty well though.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Originally posted by Ranglr
    [brThey also are heavy and they feel heavy when your drive (pushes in the corners, heavy on the turns, etc.)
    id have to dissagree. i have the 96 xcr sp chassi and it handles like its on rails. if you take a turn fast on a trail and your not leaning into it your inside ski will lift right off the ground.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The aggressive chasis is piss poor. Its a real pig. Look for something in the classic or the newer chasis. The evolved and the aggressive are like riding in a bath tub in the corners. The sad part is that the xcr600sp couldn't even run with the newer 600 twins on a lake never mind the corners. Just ask kickstand.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The SP had a different block all together. All of the cylinders are seperate from each other including the purple cooling covers. It was Case Reed inducted and sported the aggressive style front end with triple pipes and carbs. It can have that "heavy" feeling in the front but if setup properly you really don't know it unless you push the limits all the time. That sled wasn't intended to be a screaming lake racer, but it will still hang with the big dogs.
    2001 PRO-X 600
    1996 XCR600 SP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links