Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Retread Tires

This is a discussion on Retread Tires within the Alternate Transportation forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm looking for some new tires for my truck, and retread tires are looking much cheaper. I'm wondering if anyone has or has had them ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retread Tires

is Imagine if this 2 days of rain
    was at 20 degrees....

Member #
    I'm looking for some new tires for my truck, and retread tires are looking much cheaper. I'm wondering if anyone has or has had them and what they thought. Please don't reply if you don't have any expierence..

FYI: heres the site https://www.treadwright.com/p-55-285-75r16-guard-dog-m-t-d.aspx

is .

Member #
    My dad is executive director of OTDA (ontario tire dealers) and TDAC (Tire dealers Association of Canada) and so far as what I've heard from him, they are cheaper and mainly used on widescale projects ie. someone with a truck like you is more likely to purchase new tires where as a guy with a fleet of 400 trucks is going to save a ton on retreads. The problem with that is that some truckers pay less (and some more) attention to the safety of their truck. Retreads work just as well as the next tire untill they wear out where there has been cases that they fail and chunks of the retread starts flying off. Transport truck drivers a lot of the time dont notice when that is happening so it kind of gives them a bad rep but overall I'd say if your just looking for something cheap to get the job done then go for it. Keep in mind I dont know what the rules are for where you live but they gnerally aren't permitted on the front axel of a vehicle for safety issues

is This new interface is gonna
    take some gettin used to!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeboarderboy
    My dad is executive director of OTDA (ontario tire dealers) and TDAC (Tire dealers Association of Canada) and so far as what I've heard from him, they are cheaper and mainly used on widescale projects ie. someone with a truck like you is more likely to purchase new tires where as a guy with a fleet of 400 trucks is going to save a ton on retreads. The problem with that is that some truckers pay less (and some more) attention to the safety of their truck. Retreads work just as well as the next tire untill they wear out where there has been cases that they fail and chunks of the retread starts flying off. Transport truck drivers a lot of the time dont notice when that is happening so it kind of gives them a bad rep but overall I'd say if your just looking for something cheap to get the job done then go for it. Keep in mind I dont know what the rules are for where you live but[highlight=yellow] they gnerally aren't permitted on the front axel of a vehicle for safety issues
    [/highlight=yellow]

Why is that? Because of the fact that pieces can fly off and potentially hurt someone or something? Or because of the steering factor?

was at 20 degrees....

Member #
    My dad is executive director of OTDA (ontario tire dealers) and TDAC (Tire dealers Association of Canada) and so far as what I've heard from him, they are cheaper and mainly used on widescale projects ie. someone with a truck like you is more likely to purchase new tires where as a guy with a fleet of 400 trucks is going to save a ton on retreads. The problem with that is that some truckers pay less (and some more) attention to the safety of their truck. Retreads work just as well as the next tire untill they wear out where there has been cases that they fail and chunks of the retread starts flying off. Transport truck drivers a lot of the time dont notice when that is happening so it kind of gives them a bad rep but overall I'd say if your just looking for something cheap to get the job done then go for it. [color=red]Keep in mind I dont know what the rules are for where you live but they gnerally aren't permitted on the front axel of a vehicle for safety issues[/color=red]
    I checked on that, that rule is only for passenger vehicles. I.E. Busses, taxis.....

is .

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon700
    My dad is executive director of OTDA (ontario tire dealers) and TDAC (Tire dealers Association of Canada) and so far as what I've heard from him, they are cheaper and mainly used on widescale projects ie. someone with a truck like you is more likely to purchase new tires where as a guy with a fleet of 400 trucks is going to save a ton on retreads. The problem with that is that some truckers pay less (and some more) attention to the safety of their truck. Retreads work just as well as the next tire untill they wear out where there has been cases that they fail and chunks of the retread starts flying off. Transport truck drivers a lot of the time dont notice when that is happening so it kind of gives them a bad rep but overall I'd say if your just looking for something cheap to get the job done then go for it. [color=red]Keep in mind I dont know what the rules are for where you live but they gnerally aren't permitted on the front axel of a vehicle for safety issues[/color=red]
    I checked on that, that rule is only for passenger vehicles. I.E. Busses, taxis.....
    Yeah sorry I just relayed the bits and peices of info I've picked up from workin with him.

Quote Originally Posted by firecatF5
    My dad is executive director of OTDA (ontario tire dealers) and TDAC (Tire dealers Association of Canada) and so far as what I've heard from him, they are cheaper and mainly used on widescale projects ie. someone with a truck like you is more likely to purchase new tires where as a guy with a fleet of 400 trucks is going to save a ton on retreads. The problem with that is that some truckers pay less (and some more) attention to the safety of their truck. Retreads work just as well as the next tire untill they wear out where there has been cases that they fail and chunks of the retread starts flying off. Transport truck drivers a lot of the time dont notice when that is happening so it kind of gives them a bad rep but overall I'd say if your just looking for something cheap to get the job done then go for it. Keep in mind I dont know what the rules are for where you live but[highlight=yellow] they gnerally aren't permitted on the front axel of a vehicle for safety issues
    [/highlight=yellow]

Why is that? Because of the fact that pieces can fly off and potentially hurt someone or something? Or because of the steering factor?
    I'd assume it's because of the danger of loosing a tire that you use to steer.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I think one of our loader at work have a rethreaded tire. didn't know they would have it in a smaller sizes.

Hope it works out well for ya.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a small fleet if you call 4 trucks a fleet at all. I'll use retreads on the duals on the rear of the trucks but not on the front. That looks like a good 4x4 tire in the link, that going on a daily driver? What's the price diff between new & retread? 100 bucks? I would spend the extra money on new for a daily driver.

was at 20 degrees....

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder
    I have a small fleet if you call 4 trucks a fleet at all. I'll use retreads on the duals on the rear of the trucks but not on the front. That looks like a good 4x4 tire in the link, that going on a daily driver? What's the price diff between new & retread? 100 bucks? I would spend the extra money on new for a daily driver.
    The price difference is around $100 a tire. These would be going on my aftermarket ProComp rims, and only used in the summer. (Avg. 3k - 4k miles a summer) then once I go to college this Fall, the truck is going into storage for the school year, then back out in the summer, so on and so forth.

So they wouldn't get much use in 4 years, so I don't want to buy $1,000 worth of tires and have them sit for 4 years.

From what I've seen on the truck forums, nobody who really owns these tires on their daily driver has anything bad to say.

Thanks for the imput!

is fusion seat swap on the wifes
    sled is done, now for the
    switchy on mine!

Member #
    I use to work at 2 different retread plants, we did plenty of smaller tires, but personally I wouldn't run them on a car/light truck, I would go with a new tire. You end up with heavy spots in the tread that makes them hard to balance, the tread is very easily installed crooked, especially at the tread splice, and if something goes wrong with the retread, the tread will come flying off and do plenty of damage to your vehicle, or the one next to you on the highway.

is has one more work day for the
    year!!

Member #
    ^^^You are right on those points. They are hard to balance and you never know when the recap will pull away from the base tire. I thought these things were pretty much extinct for passenger vehicles.

There is a reason that over the road haulers only run them on the dual rims. Air pressure has to be spot on in order to reduce the chances of failure-tire temps are tied directly to tire air pressure.

When do you see more tire debris on the highway? Summer or winter??

I do get that the OP doesn't want to spend a grand on tires that will only see 10-12 miles in 4 years. But any tire that sits for extended periods is subject to failure.

I get that style and/or price is a determining factor in a purchase, but SAFETY should be the number one priority.

Personally, I would NOT trust my life or my families to retread tires.

BTW, when I was your age-way back in the stone age, retreads were ALWAYS mentioned at a tire dealer as a way to reduce cost. Not so much anymore!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links