Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

98 zrt wont start

This is a discussion on 98 zrt wont start within the Arctic Cat forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; hi all posting for my brother. he has a 98 zrt 800 ran pritty good last year, he did a crappy job for summer storage ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 98 zrt wont start

This user has no status.

Member #
    hi all posting for my brother. he has a 98 zrt 800 ran pritty good last year, he did a crappy job for summer storage and cant get it running unless we pour gas in the combution chambers, then when thats gone it cuts out. so i pulled the carbs off cleaned then out blew out the jets and so on. still wont start. so i checked the fuel pump and seems tight, diafram and gasket still good. without it being hooked up to the carbs it pumps a little gas, when it is nuthing... the checked the vacuum hose that powers the pump and there seems to be very little vacuum! dont have a compresion tester(going to grab one latter today) so i dont know what the comression is...but what else could couse week vacuum if the compression checks out? also noticed that the line that feeds the carbs is quite long(does a big loop) would shortning this up so its almost a straight shot to the carbs help? also would running this without the air box cause a loss of vacuum? fuel filter is pritty clean(still getting plenty of fuel to the pump)also would a flooded crank case cause a loose of vacuum?

sorry for the long post...tring to be thorough

Adam

This user has no status.

Member #
    update...compression is 150 across the board (if i tested right) unplugged the killswitch still wont start....please help!....got a foot of snow coming this week and we want to ride!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Clean the jets? Is fuel in all the lines? Make sure there isn't air or the lines are vapor locked from the summer storage.

This user has no status.

Member #
    whats the best way to purdge air out of the lines?

Snowmobile Addict
    is whacked a deer with his truck.

Member #
    When I started up my ZRT this season I had to prime mine through the spark plug holes about 5 times to get enough fuel pulled up through the pump and into the carb bowls to keep it running. Be sure to use a 50:1 mix to prime so you do't damage your engine.

also, remember that the line that powers the fuel pump is not a vaccum line in the the traditional sense, but a pulse line, you shouldn't feel a constant pull through it.

If you have clear fuel line you should be able to see fuel pulled up to the pump, and then pushed out to the carbs. watch this carefully to see how it is moving, this might help you diagnose further.

Running without the air box could affect the carbs ability to suck fuel into the venturi.

This user has no status.

Member #
    ok, i filled the bowls of the carbs after cleaning them, so i will have to start it up with the spark plug holes a few more times tommorow. the pulse from the vacume line seems a little week but i dont know how strong the cyce is suppost to be from that line, so i will just have to hope for the best. i will prob just put some tape over the back sides of the carbs and see if that help pull the fuel so i can keep an eye on everything with the air box out.(super choke it!)

This user has no status.

Member #
    ok think i finally figured it out...decided to blow air threw the gas tank vent hose and relizes the shut of valve was stuck when i herd a pop...and seen gas run down to the filter...that needs to be changed. but know it will stay running when i prime it threw the spark plug holes...but wont start on its own...prob. sucking to much air(no air box) and dirty filter is slowing the fuel down. so we are gonna change out the fuel filter, shut of valve and put the air box back on and hope that it works!

Snowmobile Addict

Member #
    Good Luck. Make sure you keep a set of new plugs on hand, if you foul one out it will be a dog.

if you feel bored, read this thread on why my fuel filters kept plugging.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/98865/display.aspx?page=1

This user has no status.

Member #
    haha thats pritty wild. in my polaris i had mice nesting in my airbox once luckly nuthin made it to the carbs.

Snowmobile Addict

Member #
    did you get it running yet? just remember, if your getting air, gas ( ie. no clogs, clean carb and a functioning fuel pump) Spark and compression, it will run.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links