Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Broken clutch bolt

This is a discussion on Broken clutch bolt within the Arctic Cat forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Anyone ever have this happen ?? The bolt broke off about 6" inside the shaft on the primary The sled is a '00 ZR 500, ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broken clutch bolt

This user has no status.

Member #
    Anyone ever have this happen ??

The bolt broke off about 6" inside the shaft on the primary

The sled is a '00 ZR 500, (there is an access hole on the side panel to get to the bolt).

I talked to a local sevice guy and he made it sound like a nightmare to get it out. (Which translated into big $$ to me).

I know it wouldn't be easy. My dilemma is.....I don't have anything in my shop to reach that far inside of that narrow of a shaft to be able to get it with an easy out. So, do I go out and spend $50.00+ on tools and try it myself.... or bite the bullet and pay the sevice. guy ?

If anyone else has had this happen maybe they could enlighten me on how difficult of a job it was to do personally ...or how much of a service charge it was. Or even if there is some easier way of doing it.

Thanks

This user has no status.

Member #
    You can try a set of easy outs, but I don't know if they make ones long and skinny enough to so something like that.

What they are is a four sided piece of steel with sharp edges that bite into a broken off bolt. You drill a hole a little smaller than the easy out and pound the easy out into the hole. You then use a tap and die handle to try and thread it out the broken bolt. Thats the only suggestion I have right now. I'll try and ask around.

Spence

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply porter...Ya, I thought of the easy out as well but like you said I don't think there is one to do this job.

Can anyone tell me if the inside of the shaft is tapered or not.
    If it is not I wonder if a gear puller of some type might work.

As long as the head of the bolt is gone and the other end is threaded into the crank it seems as if a puller might work.
    Then I could easy out the bolt after the clutch is off.

Whatever works I will post incase this happens to anyone else.

Porterpolish...Thanks again, let me know if you hear anything.

kick@$$
    is has a partially collapsed
    lung.

Member #
    A gear puller my work. That would definitly be something to try. Worst case scenario, you cut the clutch off and then you can get to the bolt real easy.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Cutting it off was suggested to me today and actually sounds like a good idea. I'm replacing it anyway. With the side panel on the ZR as high as it is I think I would have to remove it or the engine to be able to use a gear style puller.

I guess I'll have to be real careful not to be anywhere near the end of the crank when cutting !

Thanks ripperd.

is hope this promise of snow
    holds true. all I have to do
    is open the door and pull the
    cord!

Member #
    i broke the bolt in my el tigre last year. i used a 12"x 1/4" drill bit. but you need to go slow because it is a hardend bolt and will kill the bit if you try drilling to fast. the only easy out that would fit with a socket and extention is one of those square pound in style from sears. the bolt came out real easy as there is no load on it. also i had the machine on its side and dumped some cutting oil in the hole to help with the drilling. if you can find a reverse drill bit odds are good that it will catch and the bolt will come out. good luck.

This user has no status.

Member #
    If the bolt broke off deep enough, you may be able to just grab a normal puller and measure the threadded portion of it, Go buy a bolt the same size and threads and try screwing it in. See a clutch is threaded inside so you can use a normal clutch puller to remove it. The puller has threads on it that thread into the clutch while the shaft of the puller goes in deeper so it pushes against the crank end.. which makes the puller "push" the clutch off the crank end. If this is possible the broken bolt end would act like the shaft end of the normal clutch puller. This is a long shot mind ya, but it would be better then cutting the clutch off if it works.

kick@$$
    is has a partially collapsed
    lung.

Member #
    That is a great idea jtman!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the help guys.....

The length of the broken shaft is about 5", so I think you're right jtman.... a normal puller will probably work, I'never removed one of these clutches so I didn't know the puller worked off threads on the inside of the shaft.
    I have a friend with access to one so to save myself $30.00 I'll wait to use it.

butcher....my first consideration was drilling...it just seems risky...and with my luck I'd drill right through into the damn crank end.. then I'd have more than a clutch to worry about..

Thanks again for the replys.... I will post what works for me.

is hope this promise of snow
    holds true. all I have to do
    is open the door and pull the
    cord!

Member #
    yes it it a little risky, but i had no choice as my clutch would not come off. i had a puller and a 1/2" snap-on impact on it till it would'nt turn no more. then i beat on it with a 1 pound hammer and still nothing. that clutch is stuck to that motor for the rest of time. good thing it's my beater sled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links