Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Bad crank bearing??

This is a discussion on Bad crank bearing?? within the Arctic Cat forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; okay, so I decided to sell the girls formula and have her ride my old 97 zr 580efi, Ipulled it out and it fired right ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bad crank bearing??

not really a kid anymore :(
    is F7 is ForSale email me

Member #
    okay, so I decided to sell the girls formula and have her ride my old 97 zr 580efi, Ipulled it out and it fired right up. ran great seemed to have plenty of balls, but it's making a tinny whining sound that sounds like it's coming from behind the clutch. My neighbor seems to think it might be a crank bearing. any trouble shooting ideas, and is this something that can be changed w/out tearing out the motor??

This user has no status.

Member #
    if it is the crank bearing you will have tear apart everything to get the crank out

This user has no status.

Member #
    Could be crank bearing, could just be clutch. The whole engine has to be disassembled to change a crank bearing and unless you're a machinist, you will have to send it to a shop. You might be able to wear the bearing in if it is just a bit corroded from poor storage by running it real easy for a few hundred miles, nothing over 5000 rpm. If it goes it will cost you a cylinder, piston and crank at the least though.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by thundercat
    Could be crank bearing, could just be clutch. The whole engine has to be disassembled to change a crank bearing and unless you're a machinist, you will have to send it to a shop. You might be able to wear the bearing in if it is just a bit corroded from poor storage by running it real easy for a few hundred miles, nothing over 5000 rpm. If it goes it will cost you a cylinder, piston and crank at the least though.
    Is there anything I could do to the clutch to decifer what it is, The sled a 6000mi on it and it had a complete rebuild by an AC shop at 4800, I was really hoping it was the clutch

This user has no status.

Member #
    My clutch makes a slight whining noise, hasn't been a problem. The way to eliminate it as your culprit is to remove it and run the engine. If the noise is still there I'd take the engine apart. If the noise is gone I'd put the clutch back on and not worry about it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Sounds kind of like what happened when I needed to rebuild my clutch. At any rate, it would be cheaper to start with the clutch. Good luck!

Was the noise there before you put the sled away for the summer?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by F6CATMAN
    Sounds kind of like what happened when I needed to rebuild my clutch. At any rate, it would be cheaper to start with the clutch. Good luck!

Was the noise there before you put the sled away for the summer?
    honestly can't remember if is made the noise last year, I'm going to pull the clutch off tonight, we'l see how it sounds then. I'll keep you guys posted.
    Thanks!!

is headed to the Snowy Mountain
    Range as of 5A.M on Dec. 26th

Member #
    I had mine go out and Arctic Cat covered it I believe. I used to have that exact sled.

Member #
    Removed the clutch, and no noise!! Big sigh of relief., I'll get it rebuilt!!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by zxkid
    Removed the clutch, and no noise!! Big sigh of relief., I'll get it rebuilt!!
    Just a heads up. Don't ever run the engine without the clutch attached. It can destroy the engine. The clutch acts like a flywheel to keep a forward momentum. With the clutch removed it puts a heavy load on the connecting rod bearings.

I too have a 97 ZR580 EFI. I agree the clutch should be gone through. That engine likes to wear out clutches. I never could get more than 2,000 miles without a rebuild. They are also known for burning PTO crank bearings. Mine went down at 6,500 miles. It destroyed the cases and crank and PTO side cylinder & piston.
    If they didn't rebuild your crank when they freshened up the your engine, I would definately do some preventive maintenece and tear it down and get the crank bearings replaced and have the crank trued. Or you may end up like me having a hard time finding a replacement engine. I ended up going wild on mine and transplanted a 2002 ZR800 into it. It's a real freak now. Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links