Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

how to adjust idle

This is a discussion on how to adjust idle within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; please help a real newbie out..I am the least mechanicly inclined person ever...I have 97 xlt touring...beautiful sled only 1750 miles on it..purchased this past ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: how to adjust idle

  1. #1
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    26906
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    45
    please help a real newbie out..I am the least mechanicly inclined person ever...I have 97 xlt touring...beautiful sled only 1750 miles on it..purchased this past summer. I had a local mechanic clean my carbs last month..Now that we finally have alittle snow to ride on I just had one question...sled seems to idle between 1800-2000 rpm...engine seems to run fine, so far no trouble, thing is great so far.. But the book says it should idle 1600 =/-200, which I take to mean mine is idleing alittle high...how do I adjust the idle down? is there an easy way to do this without screwing anything up? I really dont know much about this stuff, and would rather not mess with anything that can make things worse as I can not fix this myself... Im so mechanicly inclined that I cant even take my carbs off to clean myself...I thank you....

  2. #2
    This user has no status.
     
    TylerC's Avatar
    Member #
    24993
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    244
    I can't imagine it going 200 rpm above the normal limits will hurt anything.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    is is at full shift-out.
     
    TRIPLEB's Avatar
    Member #
    10724
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    814
    Mine idles in the 1800-2000 range depending on the temp- that's no problem, I would leave it right where its at. However, you can adjust the idle by turning the idle screws on the carbs- but you need to make sure you get the slide heights equal on all three carbs.


  4. #4
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    12687
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIPLEB
    Mine idles in the 1800-2000 range depending on the temp- that's no problem, I would leave it right where its at. However, you can adjust the idle by turning the idle screws on the carbs- but you need to make sure you get the slide heights equal on all three carbs.

    Your idle is fine, no need to change anything.

  5. #5
    arctic cat fanatic!
    is is going to cancun on sunday!
     
    randall's Avatar
    Member #
    17712
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    634
    just commenting on here to cement the fact that your idling is fine! go out there and have a blast!

  6. #6
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    30268
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1
    I've got a 96 XCR 600. Idle was to low, it tried to run about 500 RPM and would die. I slowly add to the idle screws and got it up around 1600 or so. (Spec on that sled is about 2000 +/- 200
    1600 seems plenty high for it to sit an idle. However, randomly when I stop or if shortly after it has been started, the idle will creep down to just below 1000 and in some case it will die. Start it back up and it idles fine. Any ideas?
    If I hold the throttle slightly at say 2000 it runs fine and does not change. Just trying to figure out how it can idle at the set speed then drop from there?

  7. #7
    CFM
    CFM is offline
    Former Cat Doctor
    is is pretty sure the crank
    slipped outta phaze today
     
    CFM's Avatar
    Member #
    30231
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16
    I have an XLT and I prefer it to idle at about 2000 just because those old piston port engines are somewhat boggy off idle, and it helps to minimize that.

  8. #8
    is has one more work day for the
    year!!
     

    Member #
    24491
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Brophy_Creek
    I've got a 96 XCR 600. Idle was to low, it tried to run about 500 RPM and would die. I slowly add to the idle screws and got it up around 1600 or so. (Spec on that sled is about 2000 +/- 200
    1600 seems plenty high for it to sit an idle. However, randomly when I stop or if shortly after it has been started, the idle will creep down to just below 1000 and in some case it will die. Start it back up and it idles fine. Any ideas?
    If I hold the throttle slightly at say 2000 it runs fine and does not change. Just trying to figure out how it can idle at the set speed then drop from there?
    The quoted RPM is for a cold engine. Once the engine warms up, it will drop down some. When did you last clean the carbs? The pilot jets might be slightly plugged causing the engine to die once warmed up?


  9. #9
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    23698
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by CFM
    I have an XLT and I prefer it to idle at about 2000 just because those old piston port engines are somewhat boggy off idle, and it helps to minimize that.
    I agree. I don't have the book for a 97 but the book for a 96 XLT says 1700 +-200 so I went with that. I set my wife's 97 XLT SKS to idle in the 1700 - 1900 range.

  10. #10
    This user has no status.
     
    BigJohnson's Avatar
    Member #
    15097
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    351
    The idle is good but if it bothers you just flip your choke on and off and see if that brings it down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •