Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

93 Polaris Indy 500 efi that does not run

This is a discussion on 93 Polaris Indy 500 efi that does not run within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Hello I have a 93 Polaris Indy 500 EFI that does not run. I have spark. I can spray starting fluid in the jugs and ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 93 Polaris Indy 500 efi that does not run

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hello I have a 93 Polaris Indy 500 EFI that does not run. I have spark. I can spray starting fluid in the jugs and it will start, However it will die after about 10-20 seconds. It ran fine a month ago. it would start 1st or 2nd pull.

This user has no status.

Member #
    starting fluid is very hard on 2 stroke motors and shouldnt be used. iv never owned an EFI sled but your not getting gas by the sound of it, is the fuel pump working? have u tried a charginging your battery or putting a new one in?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I did charge the battery. I do hear the the fuel pump turning on, at least I think that is what I hear.

This user has no status.

Member #
    im not sure then , pull the line off the thorottle body and see if any gas is getting there

This user has no status.

Member #
    How old is the gas in it?

Have you changed the fuel filter?

After it stalls, have you checked for spark?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by feebles
    starting fluid is very hard on 2 stroke motors and shouldnt be used. iv never owned an EFI sled but your not getting gas by the sound of it, is the fuel pump working? have u tried a charginging your battery or putting a new one in?
    I use it all the time on the carbed sleds we have, it reduces the amount of pulls needed to get them started from 10 or so down to 2.
    Any reason it should cause a problem?

This user has no status.

Member #
    "Any reason it should cause a problem?"

Your kinda high jackin this thread but most people do not use starting fluid in a two stroke because it does not contain any oil thus scuffing the cylinder walls causing premature wear.

Any way....beenji. I had a similar problem with my efi two years ago. I had a bad electrical connection in the connectors down near the recoil starter. Start there, pull them apart (carefully) and make sure there nice and clean. Do the same with the connectors that are on the EFI control box. If they are all good (no green gook)put some dia-electric grease on them and put em back together. Another thing you can check is the main ground wire. Follow the little cable from the negative pole on the battery over to wear it's attached to the recoil. Take that bolt out, scuff the connection with emery cloth, grease it, and reconnect.

There are EFI experts on this site (I am not one by any means) who will chime in with additional suggestions so be patient.

How long have you owned it and how well maintained was it?

Super Moderator
    is Meatball CYI

Member #
    Make sure the battery is 100% or it will not run right.

This user has no status.

Member #
    ok you say you hear the fuel pump run.

I need to know do you hear it cycle each time you pull the cord ? Or do you only hear it run when you first turn the switch on?

Also try to start it and then check to see if there are any codes being displayed (red light blinking on side of computer)

We need to determine if the EFI is or isn't supplying a pulse to the injectors , if it is and there is still no fuel being injected we will have to look at fuel pressure

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrholmquist
    ok you say you hear the fuel pump run.

I need to know do you hear it cycle each time you pull the cord ? Or do you only hear it run when you first turn the switch on?

Also try to start it and then check to see if there are any codes being displayed (red light blinking on side of computer)

We need to determine if the EFI is or isn't supplying a pulse to the injectors , if it is and there is still no fuel being injected we will have to look at fuel pressure
    I hear it run each time I pull the cord.
    I do not have any codes that I can see on the side of the comp box.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_old_Poo_kid
    How old is the gas in it?

Have you changed the fuel filter?

After it stalls, have you checked for spark?
    I have strong spark.
    I have not looked at the fuel filter.
    Gas is from this summer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links