Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Xtra-10 Rear Suspension with Adjustment Knob

This is a discussion on Xtra-10 Rear Suspension with Adjustment Knob within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I'm having some problems with the X-10 rear suspension on my 97 XC 440. Its one of the ones with the adjustment knob in front ...

Thread: Xtra-10 Rear Suspension with Adjustment Knob

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm having some problems with the X-10 rear suspension on my 97 XC 440. Its one of the ones with the adjustment knob in front of the handlebars.

One day, the suspension will be fine, albeit a little soft, but after riding hard for a solid hour the other day, we stopped to take a break and the weight of the sled alone would pretty much fully collapse the rear suspension.

I had pulled the skid about before this season and had to disconnect the line that connects to the knob, so is there something I need to adjust the shocks to re pressurize them or something?

is Northern ontario with about 2
    - 2 1/2 feet of snow. But
    f**king cold!! sat at - 47
    with the wind chill last
    night!

Member #
    Ive worked with the xtra10 tons, what knob are you talking about? the only thing i can suggesting is that the short end of your springs are sitting on a block that can turn, turn it to its tallest setting, or buy a new pair of shocks.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by James007
    Ive worked with the xtra10 tons, what knob are you talking about? the only thing i can suggesting is that the short end of your springs are sitting on a block that can turn, turn it to its tallest setting, or buy a new pair of shocks.
    Yeah, that block is turned up all the way unfortunately. Would it be possible to make a new one that pushes it up even higher?

And here's the pic of the knob:

Theres a steel braided line that runs to both shocks in the skid.

is Northern ontario with about 2
    - 2 1/2 feet of snow. But
    f**king cold!! sat at - 47
    with the wind chill last
    night!

Member #
    yeah, not sure what that knob is. But no, dont put anymore stress on those springs or they will wear out. or heck maybe there aleady worn out. Like i said you can buy new shocks or new springs.

This user has no status.

Member #
    i know what you're talking about. only the 1996 xcr 440 and the 1997 xc 440 had that knob, because they are consumer versions of the race sleds back in the day. the knob allowed the racers to adjust shock stiffness. however, that only controls the stiffness of the front track shock. but if your whole suspension can't support the weight of a riderless sled, that most likely means the rear track shock is shot. but it would be best to get both rebuilt (both front and rear track shocks are Fox).

the black plastic blocks that change the spring tension won't change anything about the current condition of your sled. there should never be any need to ever modify those to make them taller.

That front track shock should also have a resevoir mounted back near the idler wheels. I came across a 1997 xc 440 that had the steel cable running up to the steering column, but there was no knob. I took that cable off the shock body, screwed a brass plug in its place to keep snow out, and then installed the whole shock/resevoir onto my '99 xc500. it works well with the position sensitve fox in the rear torque arm [thumb]

Links