Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Fat Boy Torsion Springs

This is a discussion on Fat Boy Torsion Springs within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Hey Sled heads I need some advise on what torsion springs to buy and where. I do have an xtra 10 suspension installed with the ...

Thread: Fat Boy Torsion Springs

I need SNOW!!!
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Hey Sled heads

I need some advise on what torsion springs to buy and where.

I do have an xtra 10 suspension installed with the springs that came with it, the donor was a 96 Indy I think.

My 92 Indy 500 wedge is sitting pretty low when I get on, my torsion springs are stock and original and sagging. What other year Polaris sleds can I get some stiffer springs from to hold up my 230lbs and will fit the xtra 10 skid. Does somebody make aftermarket springs for the Indy wedge?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yep, go to Polaris website and check the numbers, if they have a Euro spring, buy it. If not, let me check in the garage, have some round ones from my '96 XCR600 that should work

is Black friday makes me hate
    working at menards

Member #
    ive got the same problem

I need SNOW!!!
    This user has no status.

Member #
    [font=Verdana][12pt]Hey polaris1man

From what I have been able to gather from searching the net is that I may need a Med spring (Polaris OEM part) and it sounds like a square wire is what I am looking for. The problem I have is I dont know the years that xtra 10 suspensions where made. So searching for the correct Oem springs and upgrading will be a guess.

I was hoping someone here had done this transplant and or spring upgrade on a extra 10 skid for a heavier guy (230lbs) with Polaris springs from a different sleds maybe 2 ups. Good old fashion shade tree mechanic part swapping to achieve the desired results.[/12pt][/font=Verdana]

Attachment 173630

Attachment 174286

I need SNOW!!!
    This user has no status.

Member #
    [12pt][font=Verdana]I just returned from the garage and discovered my 92 original OEM 8in skid and it had a larger dia wire in the spring than the springs on the installed xtra 10 skid, so I swapped them out, but with no snow I will have to wait to test it out on the trail.

It sits higher now and compresses less (about 3 in) when I sit on it flat on the garage floor. I don't have any way to measure the outside dia of the springs. I will buy an outside caliper soon and give it a measure and update here so others can benefit from my findings.

In summary the xtra 10 skid I bought had smaller springs than the original skid so I installed the original springs that came on my sled on the xtra 10 skid. I hope when I get the time to go up north to the snow and ride, it works out the way I want it to.[/font=Verdana][/12pt]

This user has no status.

Member #
    Look at you, all ready a garage mechanic!! Let me know if that set up doesn't work, I've got extra torsion springs in the garage

I need SNOW!!!
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks polaris1man

We are finally getting snow now I will be able to test soon, I will update asap.

Links