Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Who Sells SPI pistons?

This is a discussion on Who Sells SPI pistons? within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I have a 2000 rmk 700. I am looking for spi pistons for it and having a hard time finding them. Found some with only ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who Sells SPI pistons?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a 2000 rmk 700. I am looking for spi pistons for it and having a hard time finding them. Found some with only one piston ring, heard not to use the single, the double is a better piston. Also considering the wiesco pistons.

is pround new owner of a 2012 800
    etec

Member #
    Im pretty sure parts unlimited sells both

This user has no status.

Member #
    Micron pistons are good they are cheap at royal distributing. They are teflon coated and look identical to the SPI pistons. wiesco are great pistons but I think they are way over priced and they are looser in the bore during warm up than the cast factory or spi, Micron pistons. I found that its the cylinders condition that makes the differnce. if a cylinder is not great condition dont expect a high end quality pistion to make the differnce.
    (a cheap piston + a new cylinder = good relible result)
    (an expensive piston + a less than perfect cylinder = poor unrelible result)

This user has no status.

Member #
    You can get a pair of them from SRP (Smart Rec Parts) for around $130 delivered.

If that price suits you, call them at 800-871-8966 and ask if they're single or double ring.

no guts no glory
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by morriss71m
    I have a 2000 rmk 700. I am looking for spi pistons for it and having a hard time finding them. Found some with only one piston ring, heard not to use the single, the double is a better piston. Also considering the wiesco pistons.
    The SPI are just Kimpex pistons, brittle with cheap rings. Hyperdyne are better quality made by Namura for SPI and about same price as Wiesco.

This user has no status.

Member #
    dennis kirk sells wiesco and oem pistons

is for sale 98 XC600 near MINT
    cond!

Member #
    best pistons to use in a polaris.....are oem polaris. I wont use anything else and if the sled lasted tht long with oem pistons then it will last just as long again

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_old_Poo_kid
    You can get a pair of them from SRP (Smart Rec Parts) for around $130 delivered.

If that price suits you, call them at 800-871-8966 and ask if they're single or double ring.
    This.

I bought my SPI's from that same place and mine have the two rings.

See above. Also im running SPI pistons in my 98 xc 700 motor mounted in a 98 rmk chassis. I got a 98 xc 700 with around 2500 miles or so on it, it wasnt running, pistons were scored. I got the cylinders honed, (Yes, honed nicisal cylinders) and put in the new SPI pistons and rings. I dont have a ton of miles on the motor, prolly only around 2-300 so far, but its running AWESOME and having zero problems with the pistons. I have looked at them through the ports and they look good. SPI are good pistons, especially for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinksno
    The SPI are just Kimpex pistons, brittle with cheap rings. Hyperdyne are better quality made by Namura for SPI and about same price as Wiesco.
    O ya, they are complete JUNK. Thats why so many people will say the same thing as me, that they are damn good pistons for the money. Thats why i bought them and put them in my motor, cuz alot of people said they were great pistons for the money. And you know, so far they have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by xc600rmk
    best pistons to use in a polaris.....are oem polaris. I wont use anything else and if the sled lasted tht long with oem pistons then it will last just as long again
    He didnt ask whats the best to use in a polaris. He specifically said "LOOKING FOR SPI PISTONS" if its that hard to comprehend..

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by oneski
    Micron pistons are good they are cheap at royal distributing. They are teflon coated and look identical to the SPI pistons. wiesco are great pistons but I think they are way over priced and they are looser in the bore during warm up than the cast factory or spi, Micron pistons. I found that its the cylinders condition that makes the differnce. if a cylinder is not great condition dont expect a high end quality pistion to make the differnce.
    (a cheap piston + a new cylinder = good relible result)
    (an expensive piston + a less than perfect cylinder = poor unrelible result)

spis are a decent piston for the price, I sell a good pile of them each year and so far havent had one complaint of the piston. oem are the most overpriced of all pistons, wiseco's run a tighter clearance than any piston, cold on some sleds the wiscoes are down to .002" of an inch clearance, thats why they are sensitive to warm ups.

no guts no glory
    This user has no status.

Member #
    O ya, they are complete JUNK. Thats why so many people will say the same thing as me, that they are damn good pistons for the money. Thats why i bought them and put them in my motor, cuz alot of people said they were great pistons for the money. And you know, so far they have been great.
    SPI's are just KIMPEX pistons, good price and I would only install them in a low hp sled or one that was being sold. They are brittle and rings do not last. I rebuild engines all the time and I see these things others have rebuilt with these pistons.

heres form another post
    There are actually only three snowmobile piston manufacturers (mass sales)

1. OEM
    2. Wiesco
    3. Namura

Namura make Kimpex, SPI, and SPX for sleds. The different names are for their wholesale distributors ( Gamma, Motovan, Kimpex, Sportsparts etc). Moly coated SPI, SPX are just regular Kimpex pistons with a skirt coating-same piston, same rings. SPI now have Hyperdryve pistons and SPX have exact same premium pistons called Quantum Series.

My beef with Namura standard pistons-SPI, SPX or Kimpex is ring quality and brittleness of skirt.

I have a 600 SDI Doo engine in the shop to rebuild and we went with the new Quantum series (Hyperdyne) that are suppose to be stronger, have a coated skirt and an anodized crown. Packaging is slick and hope the premium $$ wasn't just for that. The piston came with a new wrist pin but I did order wrist pin bearings from Wiesco for piece of mind.
    The Hyperdyne pistons seem good, on par for pricing with Wiesco.

Attachment 170936

Attachment 170933

My original post was to recommend the premium SPX if you were looking for that brand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links