Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

gen II and edge

This is a discussion on gen II and edge within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Originally Posted by dtmmil look at your pics mister know it all, you labeled the F**KERS wrong!!!!!!! Classic! Ha ha. Polaris_Parts_MN is correct on everything ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: gen II and edge

JD
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dtmmil
    look at your pics mister know it all, you labeled the F**KERS wrong!!!!!!!
    Classic! Ha ha.

Polaris_Parts_MN is correct on everything else though. Not sure if the tongue lashing was necessary, though.

The EDGE has no rider-forward qualities about it. The later ones had higher seats, but my '02 EDGE sits more like a couch than most old Wedges.

Like previous posters have said, there's more similarities between the Wedge and the Gen II than there is between the Gen II and the EDGE.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Parts_MN
    wrong wrong wrong wrong. Every single post above is wrong. If you have no idea what the hell you are talking about, don't open your mouth.

Gen II was introduced in 1999. most common were 1999-2000. BUT, some models, such as the 800 XCR and some RMK's/SKS's/Touring's continued from 2001-2003. 2003-2011, the only models in the Gen II chassis were the utility snowmobiles like the Widetrack.

Edge was first introduced in 1999 as a 1999 Edge XCR 440- it was a race sled, limited build. In 2000, there was the xcr 440 edge again, as well as an Edge XC 600. still, both limited sleds. these first two years of the edge chassis involved lots of prototype parts. Widely consumer available Edge chassis sleds were introduced in the 2001 model year.

Similarties: Almost none. The 600 is a big block nonVES in the Gen II, and a small block VES in the edge. Same plastic skis for some models.

Differences: Tunnel, bulkhead, front AND rear suspension, seat/gastank, all plastics.

Edge:
    Attachment 166266

Gen II:
    Attachment 171550

Notice the headlights, the shape of the hood/bellypan, the placement of the vents in the hood.
    The edge suspension makes the sled sit MUCH higher than the XC-10 (front) and Xtra-10 (rear) suspensions do on the Gen II.

Quote Originally Posted by smit-trailfire
    can someone list the different models in this time frame? did the 800 still have problems in the edge?
    Here:http://polarisman.com/
    I'm not listing all the models.

Quote Originally Posted by quick
    gen 2 was made in 01 i call em the cheese wedge. look at the hood and it looks like a cheese wedge. the edge is lighter motor is ves and rear end is a lil different never ridden a gen 2 theyer close but different.
    NO, they aren't close at all. The edge rides much nicer. Don't even look similar. And for everyone's sake, just call them a Gen II so people know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by tdgbigfoot
    Gen two i think was 98 to 01. Could be wrong. Before that was the wedge and agressive chassis. After was the edge, which is based towards newer technology/rider forward.
    There was no Gen 2 in 1998. Before the Gen 2 was also the evolved chassis. Edge is not even remotely "rider-forward"
    Your pictures are backwards, and the 2000 XCSP 600 had VES, the 2000 XCSP and most RMK's fuel tank and seat comb are almost identical to the Edge chassis one with the only difference being the edge is an inch high over all, I know this from doing the seat cover on my '00 XCSP 700. The edge one looks exactly the same, but when you but the edge cover over a gen II seat you end up with an inch to high on the back above the cubby hole and an inch extra hanging at the bottom and a wrinkle along the side where the seat doesn't allow the cover to move down far enough.

As for beeing similar, there are a few very small things that are the same like handle bars and controls, ski type, but other then those the sled are completely different.

is I have a 99 Indy trail 600
    miles for sale.. Hull IA

Member #
    im interested in 600's and 700's, how do these compare
    what the price different between a GEN II and edge roughly?

This user has no status.

Member #
    ^^^^In an RMK the 600 and 700 are pretty compareable, but the 700 does have more power then the 600.

Price wise the Gen 2 with be a few hundred dollars cheaper to a thousand cheaper, depending on condition.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Also depends on if you're looking at the early edge's or the later ones. the '01-'02s are really only worth $2000-2500. If are looking at the '05s then you're talking up to $3500

is is drunk

Member #
    Your teal '97 SKS 700?? That is a wedge chassis.

But yes I do partially agree with you that a Gen II '99 XC is just a wedge '98 XC with different plastics...
    The 1998 XC's used old style idler wheels (Gen II uses the swirl pattern). The '99 XC's used the Position sensitive Fox shock in the rear skid. Also, the '98 wedge used an "Xtra-10" rear skid, while the '99 gen 2 uses an "Xtra-10 Race" skid
    my 97 is no longer teal, had a face lift done.. 99 rmk tub (direct rivit on no problems) and has the blue gen2 hood from my 00' rmk. and it has the 99 136 xtra-10 under it that was used on my 00' rmk. [thumb]

The white fox shocks IMO are far better then the position sensitive shocks.

Also dont forget, starting in 99' the coolent pump cover, hoses, cylinder head, coolent/oil tanks ect. were changed.

is Waiting...

Member #
    The 600 small block or VES was introduced in 2000...in the GENII chasis, half way through 2000 Poo intorduced the edge with the 600ves in it, 2000.5 . Common mistake from everyone thinking that the 600 with VES was introduced in an edge body in 01. What really throughs people for a loop that in 2000 you could also get the big block 600 in an GENII...XC 600 Aniversery eddition. So if your looking for the faster of the 600s, get the 2000 XC 600 SP, still beats all the 600s in an edge chasis due to the xtra10 vs. the edge suspension. The edge suspension was made for more jumps and more travel, taking away from top speed...xtra 10 in the GENII was more for oval track, drag setup flat out speed. Cant have both.

is fixing the 900 this weekend.
    Might actually be able to ride
    this season!

Member #
    You need to seriously calm it down a little bud, and make sure if you start criticizing people you dont screw up yourself.

wrong wrong wrong wrong. Every single post above is wrong. If you have no idea what the hell you are talking about, don't open your mouth.

Gen II was introduced in 1999. most common were 1999-2000. BUT, some models, such as the 800 XCR and some RMK's/SKS's/Touring's continued from 2001-2003. 2003-2011, the only models in the Gen II chassis were the utility snowmobiles like the Widetrack.

Edge was first introduced in 1999 as a 1999 Edge XCR 440- it was a race sled, limited build. In 2000, there was the xcr 440 edge again, as well as an Edge XC 600. still, both limited sleds. these first two years of the edge chassis involved lots of prototype parts. Widely consumer available Edge chassis sleds were introduced in the 2001 model year.

Similarties: Almost none. The 600 is a big block nonVES in the Gen II, and a small block VES in the edge. Same plastic skis for some models.

Differences: Tunnel, bulkhead, front AND rear suspension, seat/gastank, all plastics.

Edge:
    Attachment 166267

Gen II:
    Attachment 171551

Notice the headlights, the shape of the hood/bellypan, the placement of the vents in the hood.
    The edge suspension makes the sled sit MUCH higher than the XC-10 (front) and Xtra-10 (rear) suspensions do on the Gen II.

Quote Originally Posted by smit-trailfire
    can someone list the different models in this time frame? did the 800 still have problems in the edge?
    Here:http://polarisman.com/
    I'm not listing all the models.

Quote Originally Posted by quick
    gen 2 was made in 01 i call em the cheese wedge. look at the hood and it looks like a cheese wedge. the edge is lighter motor is ves and rear end is a lil different never ridden a gen 2 theyer close but different.
    NO, they aren't close at all. The edge rides much nicer. Don't even look similar. And for everyone's sake, just call them a Gen II so people know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by tdgbigfoot
    Gen two i think was 98 to 01. Could be wrong. Before that was the wedge and agressive chassis. After was the edge, which is based towards newer technology/rider forward.
    There was no Gen 2 in 1998. Before the Gen 2 was also the evolved chassis. Edge is not even remotely "rider-forward"

is waiting for the white gold
    now!

Member #
    ok well I got the image numbers Mixed up, honest mistake. And I didn't call you out because I do also believe all the 800's had their problems. To me they do look night and day difference,[color=yellow] [color=red]but that may be because I have owned 20 polaris's over the last 3 years.[/[/color=red] But to the beginner snowmobiler they can be told apart by the headlight. Edge=oval with 2 bulbs, gen2=rectangle with 3 bulbs and orange side reflectors
    are you related to sledcrusher here?????

This user has no status.

Member #
    Haha no. I haven't owned 20 sleds because I break all them. My screen-name can give you an idea to what I have being doing with them since I was 15.

I have an eye for the details when it comes to buying sleds which is why a Gen 2 and the EDGE looks completely different to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links