Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Will a crank bearing make a noise?

This is a discussion on Will a crank bearing make a noise? within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Almost a metal, rattling sound. Not on idle, but on rev up and when the engine backs down. But not all the time. Do crank ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will a crank bearing make a noise?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Almost a metal, rattling sound. Not on idle, but on rev up and when the engine backs down. But not all the time. Do crank bearings or rods make noise when they are going/damaged?

I have pulled the clutch, checked the chaincase, checked the recoil and stator. Pulled head and pistons look good and tight, 120 psi in each......................

Do I ride it and see what happens? Do I part it before it goes? Or pull the engine down to the crank?

This user has no status.

Member #
    My PTO side bearing went out and I had no idea it was going. I blew probably 4 or 5 belts before it went, but it never made any noise, everything just stopped all of a sudden.

is Sled is back together and
    running good again :)

Member #
    After going through what I just did, I'd pull it apart and check everything out. What would you be out, a set of gaskets? That's cheap compared to what could happen.

Took mine out for a spin on the lake and it just died. Burned the pto piston. Thought it was ice in the carb because I found water in it upon disassembly. Got cylinder honed and another piston in and low and behold, it did it again. Exactly the same. Tore it down again and found the crank was .010 out of true. The end pto bearing was spinning on the crank (it had worn a groove in the crank), at higher rpms it heated the crank up, melting the seal, taking out the piston. Who would've thunk??? It's costing approx. $500.00 to fix it now.[V]

Oh, and it never made a noise, but all the bearings were smooth.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Indeed, I am torn on what to do. I had plans to sell the sled for $1200 then all this happened. I am not intereseted in putting tons of dough into it. I have a few other sleds to maintain as well. I am leaning towards parting it, but it has been such an awesome sled.

This user has no status.

Member #
    my skidoo does the exact same thing, like a chatter from 4k to 3k on the way down. i ignore it lol

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevdog211
    Almost a metal, rattling sound. Not on idle, but on rev up and when the engine backs down. But not all the time. Do crank bearings or rods make noise when they are going/damaged?

I have pulled the clutch, checked the chaincase, checked the recoil and stator. Pulled head and pistons look good and tight, 120 psi in each......................

Do I ride it and see what happens? Do I part it before it goes? Or pull the engine down to the crank?

Crank bearings usually will make a noise or rattle at idle, they also give you a vibration that at certain rpm's can transmit to your handle bars. The only way to really tell is to pull off the head, cylinders then grab the connecting rod and piston looking for ANY play up or down on the crankshaft. Probably best to look into it or it could throw the rod and damage the engine beyond belief.....better yet let your rich friend drive it this weekend.

This user has no status.

Member #
    so you pulled the clutch, did you dissasmeble and check for worn components, and throurghly clean it?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for all the input. I did try to move the pistons when the head, carbs, and exhaust off. There was no play in the movement of the rods and pistons. Seemed to test out good in my mind.

I pulled the primary and inspect weights, rollers, etc................... but did not see anything unsual. I did not clean the primary or replace any parts. Although, the noise seems to generate from that side of the sled. But it still seems to be more in the motor than the primary.

Thanks for your help and input.................................

is Sledding since 1968

Member #
    Do you have electric start? If so, could it be the starter drive hanging up?

This user has no status.

Member #
    No electric start on the machine.............

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links