Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Going to go look at a 2004 Polaris Proxr 440

9K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  xcsp_rider 
#1 ·
On monday im going to go look at a 2004 polaris proxr 440 has trail heads but everything else is stock, only 3 flaws broken windsheild,front bumper is bent and few nicks in the hood (dealer already said they can get me a new front bumper and windshield) still pre mix wondering if i will like this sled? I will get a Tempa flo installed so i dont have to worry about jetting,and oil injection and trail tank. How are these motors for reliabilty? i heard that the 440 motors are good and its the finiky carbs that fuck them up would a tempflo fix these problems? Other wise everything else is good dealer said it had low hours, Good track,Good suspension,no rips in the seat. They also so they would do a straight up trade for my 2002 Polaris xcsp 500 What do you guys think? And monday im just going to go look at the proxr and not bring my sled [thumb]

#3 ·
you've had previous threads about Pro-XR 440's, and there are a million threads about them. No need for this thread.

and what is your question? if your going to like a 2004 Pro-XR 440 or if the 440 motors are any good? Both topics are overly, overly addressed, a 5 second search, and you will find a ton of threads.v

#4 ·
The Pro-XR was the last year Polaris used the Pro-X chassis before they went to the IQR in 05, Many people have the opinion that it was the best year of the Pro-X myself included. Also the Pro-XR more rider forward than previous non Pro-XR sleds due to the over the engine steering post system.

#8 ·
littlemel said:
xcsp_rider said:
IS that you on the sled..................explains everyting
its my 9 year old sister... and im taking off the seat probally

Attachments

#15 ·
As cool as that sled is, it's not practical at all. For the riding most of us do your xc is a better idea. If you really want a different ride look for used 600 fusion or rev. That prox is all race in it's current state and you'd prolly have to give up your next 5 bdays and christmass to convert it lol

#16 ·
sledneck1978 said:
As cool as that sled is, it's not practical at all. For the riding most of us do your xc is a better idea. If you really want a different ride look for used 600 fusion or rev. That prox is all race in it's current state and you'd prolly have to give up your next 5 bdays and christmass to convert it lol
Agreed. You wouldn't want it.

#18 ·
Mad-Boondocker said:
If you plan on trail riding I would get rid of that race tank, and replace it with a trail tank.
On the 04, you can't without switching steering hoop and console, then the hood doesn't fit right around the console, and the rider position gets moved back to the 03 position. IMHO throw a 2.5 gallon jug on the back and plan for 75 miles range. I have read that a rev tank and seat actually works ok though? I forget now.

If you are looking to get an 04 440, DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST!

Like said previously, I (among others) have made many posts regarding this sled as a previous owner and racer.

They are one of the best looking sleds Polaris ever made though.

#19 ·
ripperd said:
Mad-Boondocker said:
If you plan on trail riding I would get rid of that race tank, and replace it with a trail tank.
On the 04, you can't without switching steering hoop and console, then the hood doesn't fit right around the console, and the rider position gets moved back to the 03 position. IMHO throw a 2.5 gallon jug on the back and plan for 75 miles range. I have read that a rev tank and seat actually works ok though? I forget now.

If you are looking to get an 04 440, DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST!

Like said previously, I (among others) have made many posts regarding this sled as a previous owner and racer.

They are one of the best looking sleds Polaris ever made though.
I have seen rev tanks on a XR before and it looks pretty good actually.

I have also seen trail tanks on the XR's does not look that great but works I guess. it appears like it can be done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRjMiwn56cU

#20 ·
Mad-Boondocker said:

I have also seen trail tanks on the XR's does not look that great but works I guess. it appears like it can be done
I have too. And if you ride that sled like it was meant to be ridden you are not going to be having children ever again with a tank mounted like that.

Plus it moves the seat waay to far back.

#21 ·
ripperd said:
Mad-Boondocker said:

I have too. And if you ride that sled like it was meant to be ridden you are not going to be having children ever again with a tank mounted like that.

If you knew how to plastic weld you could cut the tank where it pokes out on the top and sides to fit between the bars leading up to the steering. Then flip the cut out pieces or take some other black plastic to seal it. Should work.

#22 ·
ripperd said:
Mad-Boondocker said:

Oh I agree with u I just posted that to show that it can be done if push comes to shove.

#25 ·
xcsp_rider said:
i would probally go with the rev seat option but, i do like the look of the small gas tank and shorty seat combo i have seen those tour buddys maybe get one for teh clutch gaurd? then have a 2 gallon tank on the back?
You're an idiot.

Off topic, I saw a sweet ass Lamborghini on a movie. What kind of brakes should I get for it? Lol

#26 ·
ripperd said:
Mad-Boondocker said:

If you're just in for ditchbanging without doing any big drops and you've got long legs it's not too bad to have a tank like that. Getting sack-tapped by the back of the seat has done more damage than the tank...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.