Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

xtra 12 frss

This is a discussion on xtra 12 frss within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Last year I remember that xlt sp with the extra 12 on it spun the track like crazy in almost all snow conditions and dig ...

Thread: xtra 12 frss

This user has no status.

Member #
    Last year I remember that xlt sp with the extra 12 on it spun the track like crazy in almost all snow conditions and dig large trenches leaving large piles of snow. Im a little guy weighing in at 145 lbs. The sled liked to bottem out on larger bumps or dips. The rear shocks were just built so I set the torsion springs to high and had the front track shock with pretty high pretension. I dint really move much for ride height sag but dint bottem out nearly as much. When i did this i did not realize it did so much for weight distribution. limiter straps set pretty long. Now I learned that the limiter straps dont do much for weight distribution and pretension changed it so much. now i set ifs, front track spring,and rear torsion spring pretension low and will go from there and adjust it. my real question is when i was looking at the frss to adjust that there was no rectangle block on it. Im guessing its a black block that is offset. all mine has is a aluminum circle block on it. Did the adjustment blocks fall off? they look like they are wearing from the scissor hitting it. the parts fiche looks like i see my cricle block then a rectangle block that goes on it. but im not sure. Both sides are like this.

is Sled is back together and
    running good again :)

Member #
    What year/model sled?

If you could post a picture of what you are talking about, it would be helpful. I think you are talking about the spring perch and the black plastic "preload block". If you only have the aluminum sleeve, then yes, you are missing the blocks.

I had problems with my extra-12 at first, but with a little guidance from a few fellow members on here, it's taken care of. The extra-12 is kind of a give or take suspension. It takes a while of tuning to get you that happy-medium setting of what you like. I was adjusting on mine for a good part of a season to get the ride I'm happy with. You mentioned the rear shocks are rebuilt, how are the front ones?

This user has no status.

Member #
    well.... boy have i been busy. sorry im getting back so late. front shocks defiantly could use rebuilding most likely. i am not sure how to attach a image. so here is the link http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/Polaris_OEM/PolarisSnow.asp?Type=13&A=156&B=34 . It would be were part 22 and 23 is. all i have is a aluminum cylinder attached. So would this be plastic/rubber or aluminum.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Go to this thread - http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/102341-snowmobile-manuals-lots-them

Download the Polaris 96 to 98 service manual and read the xtra-12 setup section, because the settings you use on the other suspensions do not work on the xtra-12.

This user has no status.

Member #
    i see the set-up is different. i am just not sure if i am missing those pieces.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Well it's been awhile again but I'm getting excited for winter. I ended up replacing the frss adjuster blocks. So that should help with transfer. I also drilled new holes for the rss. It went from 10 mm to 30mm roughly of movement. I don't think it will hit idler wheels. I dint have much of a choice where to drill due to the track adjuster mount. But I also had the track slack at factory specs but I wanna loosen it to 1 inch. So It might be close. Does moving the rss have as much effect on a extra 12 as it does on a normal skid? I also maybe getting a used stock track from an edge with picks for free. May also buy the a/t camoplast skis mid winter too. Hopefully this all helps. Pretension on front track needs to be more or less? I swear I read it in the manual it says less for more transfer but I see people on online say more tension. I'm only 145lbs too.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I had an issue with traction on an xtra-12, and the previous owner had extended the front limiter straps (apparently thinking he could wheelie better like an xtra-10) so set your skid back to the stock settings and go from there. (I weigh 230)

This user has no status.

Member #
    I am not trying to do wheelies. It just seems all i get is track spin, buddies who ride behind me on trails say i just rip up the trail bad.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Set your skid back to the stock settings, from the manual you downloaded, and try that.

Links