Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

just bought a 95 XLT indy special...Q's

This is a discussion on just bought a 95 XLT indy special...Q's within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; hello, this past week i just bought a 1995 polaris XLT indy special with 4500 miles on it for $400. i thought i got a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: just bought a 95 XLT indy special...Q's

This user has no status.

Member #
    hello,
    this past week i just bought a 1995 polaris XLT indy special with 4500 miles on it for $400. i thought i got a great deal as the sled is in great cosmetic condition. runs good also. i have read about the cranks giving out but i did not find other info about the sled. i have a few questions about maintenance and some add on goodies...

1. what type of oil should i be running?

2. what type of plugs? stock?

3. i already have some plastic ski skins picked out

4. im going to be contacting madcow about clutching

5. do i need to run 93 or may i run 87?

This user has no status.

Member #
    where you from? do i see a crolli inc sticker on the windshield? had to run outside to make sure mine was still there!
    very nice sled for 400 specially running. cranks are a known problem for them but at 4500 miles should be outta the woods. doesnt mean your crank wont fail. cranks fail on brand new sleds.
    run polaris blue in all my polaris fujis and never had a problem. wouldnt waste your time on the ski skins, find yourself a set of plastic skis. itll lose a few pounds for ya. plugs should be br9es ngk. as for fuel 89 should be fine, unless someone has installed aftermarket heads for higher compression. do a test.
    for the price you got it for, even if you blow a motor half way through the season you could part it out and make a profit.

is 4:30 am i became a father!!!!

Member #
    Polaris blue oil
    i run NGK BR9ES
    i always run premium in my sled that way i don't have ethanol in my gas. ethanol likes to gel up and will gum up everything. been there done that. if you run ethanol gas you can get ethanol treatment for your sled in any sled shop.

my father in law has a xlt and he runs 87 in his but i like the premium no ethanol.

This user has no status.

Member #
    i bought it from a guy in warren PA. thanks for the heads up what oil and plugs to use...

any certain plastic skis in mind? i was looking in dennis kirk the other day and only found the skins and OEM (like) steelies?
    good point on the ethanol michaman, never gave that a thought. at a few cents more per gallon, to me its worth the piece of mind also.

bigwedgies, is it usually lower miles when they give out? i was concerned because i thought i read 5000 miles was the norm for them to go? but you are right, i have a 2008 kawasaki wheeler that threw the crank bearings at 1100 miles!

the track isnt in the greatest shape but it is picked. when he fired it up for me, at first he had to choke it. he ran it for MAYBE 5 minutes, shut it off then a half a pull later it was purring. i did not get a chance to do a compression check or anything, i figured for the price it was worth the risk...

although i did PM madcow, is there any recommendations for the clutch?

This user has no status.

Member #
    not sure about wisc. but in PA all fuel contains ethanol up to 10% i know in new york lots of fuel contains 15% and can be damaging to many engines. ethanol doesnt gel up, it wipes oils from internals and also breaks down rubber components. i run ethanol treatment in almost all my engines, sleds atv, even lawn equipment.

is in need of a pro x master
    cylinder

Member #
    my brother used to run Blue Marble mineral oil in his XLT, burned clean and ran good! i also believe that he had the oil pump turned up to try to get more flow to the pto bearing, which is the one that is known the fail.

is Anyone watching the
    filibuster?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwedgies
    not sure about wisc. but in PA all fuel contains ethanol up to 10% i know in new york lots of fuel contains 15% and can be damaging to many engines. ethanol doesnt gel up, it wipes oils from internals and also breaks down rubber components. i run ethanol treatment in almost all my engines, sleds atv, even lawn equipment.
    Yep, higher octane does not mean that it has no ethanol....I go to gas stations that sell straight gas, more expensive and few of them but they are out there.

is just moved to a house thats 5x
    bigger with a 2 bay garage.

Member #
    ya dont worry much about crank failer. most of them that fail are piped. i have a 95 right now with over 9,000 miles and dont look like its ever been apart. the biggest ive seen blow the bearings is fouling a plug and still running it. creating bearing to get washed clean then running it hard afterwards. seen 2 people lose cranks that way.gas is whatever your sled likes. the last 95 i had wouldnt run anything over 87. otherwise it would run like crap.

is is at full shift-out.

Member #
    Here in the upper mid-west (MN and WI) we are fortunate that most of the Premium fuel is still non-oxygenated or ethanol free. Out east you probably wont find it. Look at the under-hood decal for fuel and plug requirements- I thought the 95 XLT's ran a BR8ES plug.

This user has no status.

Member #
    [quote=88rxna]
    i bought it from a guy in warren PA. thanks for the heads up what oil and plugs to use...

any certain plastic skis in mind? i was looking in dennis kirk the other day and only found the skins and OEM (like) steelies?
    good point on the ethanol michaman, never gave that a thought. at a few cents more per gallon, to me its worth the piece of mind also.

bigwedgies, is it usually lower miles when they give out? i was concerned because i thought i read 5000 miles was the norm for them to go? but you are right, i have a 2008 kawasaki wheeler that threw the crank bearings at 1100 miles!

the track isnt in the greatest shape but it is picked. when he fired it up for me, at first he had to choke it. he ran it for MAYBE 5 minutes, shut it off then a half a pull later it was purring. i did not get a chance to do a compression check or anything, i figured for the price it was worth the risk...

although i did PM madcow, is there any recommendations for the clutch?
    [/quote

I put a set of Simmons flexiskis on my 1996 Polaris xlt touring sled 3 years ago and I really like them. It took at least 15-20Lbs of weight off the front end and they have much better floatation than the stock skis do and they do not collect snow and ice on the tops like the stock skies and the dual runners do not dart on the groomed trails like the old single runner skies did. Last season I put on a Genuine Polaris SKS 133.5 0.875 full paddle designed track and I was running this heavy sled through mid thigh deep snow in the ditches last year without any problems. The old track was well worn and was terrible in the deep snow while the new SKS track is so much better. As to clutching you may want to put in the next higher rated spring to improve your holeshot since it will increase your engagement rpm's and would help to lauch that sled. Since I have a touring I don't want a high engagement Rpm so I put a fresh Polaris brand belt on it and clean the clutch with a scotch brite pad to remove any oil residue and to take the shine off the sheaves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links