Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

CHASING THE IDLE

This is a discussion on CHASING THE IDLE within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I'm doing a bit of work to a buddy's sled for him, and I'm having a hell of a time setting the idle up on ...

Thread: CHASING THE IDLE

This user has no status.

Member #

I'm doing a bit of work to a buddy's sled for him, and I'm having a hell of a time setting the idle up on this thing! It's a '98 XCR 600. I have owned triples since 1993 and have set up the carbs on countless sleds. I have the Uni-Sync tool to balance air flow and I'm chasing my tail?
    I set the cables up and set the idle. It wants to sit around 1100 to 1250, I'd like it higher but that seems to be a fine line between that and too high. 2200-2400..no in-between.
    So I re-adjust and we're back the 1200 mark. Give the throttle a couple burps and it's up to 3000 and won't come back down.
    Hit the kill switch, lift the kill switch, pull the GO cord and it idles back at 1200? Burp the throttle and back to 3000, and it won't settle back down! And this dog and pony show is repeatable time and time again!
    I'm thinking it's something in the cable, but why it doesn't go right to the high idle after shutting it off has me miffed.

I have rechecked the set up for the slides and all is the way it should be there. My buddy cleaned the bowls and jets, so I didn't see in there, but he did watch me do a 440 sled the night before. What could he have screwed up down there that would make it act like this?

Any thoughts, before I pull the carbs completely off again?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Bad crankseals? Possibly dirty pilot jets?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Newer liberty twins are like that. Kick the throttle at idle, and it sits higher for a while then drops back down. I think that's a response thing, if you're riding, you're more likely to get back on the gas and the higher idle will have a faster response.

Let it sit a bit at idle and see if it drops back down.

is Waiting...

Member #
    ^thats all I do with my XCR, let it idle high for a few and then hit the choke really quick to drop it down and than she purs like a kitten. Stays right at 1900-2000rpms just how I like it. If I dont kill it down from the high idle it will take it a little to come down but it does come down on its own.

This user has no status.

Member #
    How many minutes are we talking about, for it too drop back down? Yeah I was wondering if something is wrong in the bowl, or bad carb boots, crank seals? The sled runs really good though. Starts fine, sounds right. Just this idle thing. I'm going to look at it again tonight. I'll let you's know if I find anything obvious.

This user has no status.

Member #
    If its doing that when its cold it's normal. Let it get up to normal operating temp and it shouldn't do it as much, it should come back down on its own after less than 30 secs. My 650 Indy used to do this, everything was setup correctly.

is Waiting...

Member #
    Im not talking minutes here...30 seconds max. I know a few guys with the big twins that do the same thing.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnhardtNorth

I'm doing a bit of work to a buddy's sled for him, and I'm having a hell of a time setting the idle up on this thing! It's a '98 XCR 600. I have owned triples since 1993 and have set up the carbs on countless sleds. I have the Uni-Sync tool to balance air flow and I'm chasing my tail?
    I set the cables up and set the idle. It wants to sit around 1100 to 1250, I'd like it higher but that seems to be a fine line between that and too high. 2200-2400..no in-between.
    So I re-adjust and we're back the 1200 mark. Give the throttle a couple burps and it's up to 3000 and won't come back down.
    Hit the kill switch, lift the kill switch, pull the GO cord and it idles back at 1200? Burp the throttle and back to 3000, and it won't settle back down! And this dog and pony show is repeatable time and time again!
    I'm thinking it's something in the cable, but why it doesn't go right to the high idle after shutting it off has me miffed.

I have rechecked the set up for the slides and all is the way it should be there. My buddy cleaned the bowls and jets, so I didn't see in there, but he did watch me do a 440 sled the night before. What could he have screwed up down there that would make it act like this?

Any thoughts, before I pull the carbs completely off again?
    Check to see that the choke cables are adjusted properly and also make sure the choke cable is free and not clamped down or clamped together with zip ties. It will bind the cable and open the plungers. Also make sure the throttle cable routing is the same way, free/loose with no zip ties that are tied tight! Also pay attention to the throttle cable/choke cable when the hood closes. If the cables are not routed properly, the hood can press on the cables when you close it and it will mess up your carb sync and can start to open the choke plungers! Also do a compression check on all 3 cylinders to be sure you don't have one cylinder down or a stuck ring. Lower compression on one cylinder can really mess up the idle and play with your mind. I'm speaking from experience!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for all the info guys. I've been tied up with work and what not but hope to get back to it on Tuesday. I'll report back.

Links