Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

93 500 Efi Indy clutch engages hard

This is a discussion on 93 500 Efi Indy clutch engages hard within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; The new to me Polaris clutches engage really hard..... At first it looked like the rollers were stuck but I compressed the clutch and the ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 93 500 Efi Indy clutch engages hard

This user has no status.

Member #
    The new to me Polaris clutches engage really hard..... At first it looked like the rollers were stuck but I compressed the clutch and the rollers are fine.

My research tells me a weak spring can cause this... But since the sled is new to me, I have no clue what spring is on it, all I know is it's black and I couldn't find any colors.

Anyone know of this model having a history of doing this from the factory? It's all stock elsewhere so I'm assuming the clutches are stock.

Little descriptiong- The clutches engage at a pretty high rpm, I can't remember exactly what rpm off the top of my head but if it's important I can go get it figured out.

So once the clutch does engage it's a sudden engagement and feels hard. It doesn't shimmy or shutter or anything, it engages like right now and takes off. Where with my Mountain Max it's a much more fluid engagement and is more controllable.

Any suggestions?

This user has no status.

Member #
    i have the same ski doo and mine revs to 4500 rpm before engaging which i think is normal for that machine... i am sure ugly can help u out more

This user has no status.

Member #
    The 93 500 EFI primary clutch factory setup was a gold spring and 10/m weights . The black spring is a much heavier spring than the stock one and will raise engagement RPM dramatically. I have no Idea what weights are on your clutch but the black spring would normally be too much. This may be your issue.

About 4500 is correct for engagement RPM.

A weak or broken spring will normally result in a low engagement RPM and bogging. Your symptom sounds more like worn and or sticking clutch components or improper setup. I would check it more thoroughly. Remove the cover and check for worn bushings, freedom of movement etc and then install stock spring and weights.

This user has no status.

Member #
    What RPM does it engage at? What weights are in it and what color spring? The sled might be geared lower also.

This user has no status.

Member #
    mrholm i have a question for you ..what if the clutch is making a noise while idling and driving it???

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have all the tools and experience to disassemble and repair if the roller,buttons, etc need attention.
    PM me if you want details.

If there is noise, rattle, etc, usually the clutch buttons are worn out causing the buttons to hit the towers and rattle.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzn1974
    mrholm i have a question for you ..what if the clutch is making a noise while idling and driving it???
    what kind of noise ? rattle ....look for worn or binding parts. The weights will wear on the pins so bad they will eventually contact the spider. The rollers have a bushing inside which will wear out. The buttons will wear and cause excessive clearance between the spider and the towers.
    The movable sheave and the cover bushing can wear and also cause noise or binding.

Mark the cover in relation to the spyder and remove the 6 outer bolts as well as the spring. With the belt off check the movable sheave will move in and out smoothly and it is not excessively loose on the hub. Check to see if it will move up and down and or twist sideways. try to turn it back and forth to get an idea if you have a lot of clearance in the button area. Use two small screwdrivers one on either side swing the weights out one at a time and check to see how much they will rock from side to side. Use a small pick and try to shake the rollers the weights ride on, check to see if the internal bushing is not worn. If you find anything I have mentioned excessively worn or loose you will have to remove the clutch and repair it. It will require several special tools to repair these clutches.

Squealing noises are normally caused by belt slippage which can be caused by many different things. Worn belt, misaligned clutches etc.

This user has no status.

Member #
    my sled engages at 2500 3000 my own litle set up engageges fine people say its bad but no probs with it at all and it flys

This user has no status.

Member #
    don't know what model your sled is but that engagement is way too low for most . Most two stroke engines make very little torque in those rpm ranges. A new primary spring at the very least and you should be able to really wake it up. If you think it comes out of the hole fine now you would be tickled with your holeshot after setting it up

This user has no status.

Member #
    taking my buddys 800 off the line

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links