Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Rebuilding 92 Indy 650

This is a discussion on Rebuilding 92 Indy 650 within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Would appreciate some input as I am working on it right now. I have the Indy 650 that I plan on using for parts. I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding 92 Indy 650

is .

Member #
    Would appreciate some input as I am working on it right now. I have the Indy 650 that I plan on using for parts. I want to take the RXL and get it running as it has a 2-up and reverse. The sled was still running when it blew a piston, so I'm going to use that crank as I am not 100% sure what the condition is of the other crank. I have a rebuild kit and will use any cylinders that look okay. As far as I've seen the cylinders are all okay. The RXL had burnt a centre piston and the Indy burnt the MAG side piston. I am pulling the EFI out and running it with the carbs from the Indy, are there any problems that I may run into? I figure it's going to be easier then buying a new battery and I don't know enough about the efi to figure out why the sled blew up. I will have to completely reset the carbs since the setting on all the screws were messed with when it got stolen. Will add some pictures here as well. This is my first time rebuilding a sled by myself so I was looking to see if anyone had any pointers or advice for me.

Also thinking I'm better off running the carbs than the efi because then I can use the extra electrical parts for spares right? Heard that the electric parts from the RXL will work on the Indy But not the other way around, just wanted to confirm that.

So if anyone has some advice it would be great! also want to know if any of you have any ideas on how these things blew up? The Middle cylinder on the RXL is much cleaner than the rest. How can I make it more bulletproof than it was before?

Thanks!

- RXL
    Attachment 194729
    Attachment 194730
    Attachment 194731
    - Indy
    Attachment 194732
    Attachment 194733
    Attachment 194734
    Attachment 194735

is .

Member #
    Piston skirt is all gone on the RXL so I'm going to assume that crank is junk. Just starting to rip apart the other one. If I need to to a crank here it kind of makes the whole deal not worth my money. Anywhere i could get it done cheap or is it going to cost me? May just end up sending the rebuild kit back.

is getting ready for hillclimb
    season..

Member #
    im not sure about where your located but i can get a whole crank rebuilt for around 150 bucks, its not too bad as long as you can find a reputable crank shop

is .

Member #
    I'll have to look around. my local poo dealer charges around 500 to do a crank and they send it out.

is .

Member #
    If I split the cases on both, is there any way i can see if either crank is good? Like see if the bearings are noisy or something?

is getting ready for hillclimb
    season..

Member #
    yes. split the cases then clean and oil the bearings (i use breakleen to clean them) then oil them with 2 stroke oil and spin them. make sure there is no excessive noise than they spin smoothly with no rough spots and make sure theyre tight not loose or sloppy. that is rediculis what your dealer charges. you could buy a new crank for that cost. your best bet is finding a small engines repair shop that specialses in engine repair. some machine shops will do this also

is .

Member #
    Thanks a lot sir! will split them tomorrow and take a look.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I seem to remember the efi engines having bigger intake ports
    Something to check!

is .

Member #
    all cylinders are good! will just be sure to use one or the other.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by numnuts
    I seem to remember the efi engines having bigger intake ports
    Something to check!
    There are two types of 650 engines and the crankcases and cylinders are NOT interchangable between the two but the crank and the pistons are the same.
    The EC65PL-01 engine is the original 650 found in carbed Indies up until 1990.
    The EC65PL-02 engine is the later model, found in every RXL (but dubbed EC65PL-03/05 when it has EFI) and the carbed 650 in 1991 and 1992.
    The updated model has bigger cylinder castings, sporting bigger transfer and intake ports and I think the exhaust timing is slightly different. The magneto end of the crankcase is also bigger to make room for the updated magneto.
    You can identify the crankcases by the label in the casting on the top of the magneto housing, below the water pump it will say "EC65PL" followed by 01 or 02.
    The cylinders can be identified by the fact that the later cylinders have longer sleeves that extend past the bottom of the cylinder casting, protruding into the crankcase while the 01 cylinders have the bottom of the iron sleeve flush with the bottom of the alu casting.
    The bigger ports of the 02 engine make about 5-10 extra horsepower over the 01 engine at a couple hundred more revs in stock configuration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links