Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

2003 Polaris Edge X 550.

This is a discussion on 2003 Polaris Edge X 550. within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I know a guy who has a 2003 edge x 550 that he is looking to sell. The engine was rebuilt last year and bored ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Polaris Edge X 550.

Once You Go Cat You'll Never Go Back
    is Hopefully getting a 1994
    polaris xcr sp 440

Member #
    I know a guy who has a 2003 edge x 550 that he is looking to sell. The engine was rebuilt last year and bored 10 over and it had a new chaincase and gears last year. no studs and it is in average condition. Is there any known problems with these sleds and things i should look for on it.He is looking to get $2400 but i thought it was a little high so i would talk him down. Thanks guys

is sold the Pro-x, what a mistake

Member #

This user has no status.

Member #
    The 550 fans are known for overheating in the Edge chassis at low speeds due to small vents in the hood. It is not much of an issue if you ride hard and fast to get enough airflow to the engine. I had a 2001 Supersport (with the 550 in the Edge chassis) for a couple seasons and did not have any problems, but it was not a quick sled.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ask as to why it was rebuilt (maybe he overheated it) we have one in our riding group, its a super sport 550. Starts and runs every single time, light weight, but as Polaris Parts said, by no means fast, fun to throw around though, easy sled to ride, can be quick in the twisty turns if you can ride it hard. This is what we have new riders use when they come with us.

This user has no status.

Member #
    there known to run to lean around 30 / 40mph ,and burn up a cylinder.you can adjust oil pump a little to eliminate this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    my buddy just picked one up this winter. its was super clean. but the poeple never drained the gas in it from last winter. so i had to clean the carbs, drain the tank. and it started up and ran awesome all winter. he picked it up for 800. which i thought was a super deal. but like others said its a fun lil sled to rip around.

This user has no status.

Member #
    My mom has a 340 fanner in the edge chassis that would overheat. i did the "hood" mod and it made all the difference. runs like it should now.

Once You Go Cat You'll Never Go Back
    is Hopefully getting a 1994
    polaris xcr sp 440

Member #
    i think im gonna pass on it and keep my 440 for one more year and sell it then and pick up a fusion 600 or a cheap iq. if i cant find anything ill get an edge with a 500 or 600 motor

This user has no status.

Member #
    I rode a 550f Shift last week in the UP (after a buddies sled tanked) it was smooth, but for how new it was I was surprised at how much faster my 97 500 was. It was a smooth engine, but the older 550 in our buddies edge seemed way faster. Could just be my imagination. What Im getting at is i was disappointed at how it seemed to lack in the power department (could this be because it was a rental?)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JEEPS101
    I rode a 550f Shift last week in the UP (after a buddies sled tanked) it was smooth, but for how new it was I was surprised at how much faster my 97 500 was. It was a smooth engine, but the older 550 in our buddies edge seemed way faster. Could just be my imagination. What Im getting at is i was disappointed at how it seemed to lack in the power department (could this be because it was a rental?)
    Rentals are always jetted pig rich so that newbies don't burn them down regardless of what conditions they ride in. My buddy rented a 550 fan when we went up north in 2004 or so and when my 1983 Indy Trail was on 1/2 tank, his rental would be below 1/4. My sled had a 9 gallon tank and his was at least 12, so that gives you an idea of how much more gas he was burning. Drag racing them resulted in a near tie, which would have never happened if that Supersport had been tuned properly. I wouldn't say rentals are a great benchmark unless they are EFI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links