Snowmobile Fanatics banner

What belt to use?

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  1fastxc 
#1 ·
When I Was looking under the hood of my sled, I saw a chunk missing out of the belt, I bought a $50 one at the store and was told to bring it back because the 800 will tear it apart. I was told to get the most expensive one at the store which went from $50 to $92. After being told that, it makes sense, but I came across a genuine Polaris belt on eBay. Are there different types of Polaris belts or are they all the same? Would this one work for my sled? Thanks again!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170780654143?item=170780654143&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I should probably also add that I have a Team clutch, don't know if that would make the belt size different but probably not.

#2 ·
I am not 100% sure on the 3211065 listing from Polaris, but in most cases, each machine in the the higher HP range has 2-4 belts listed for it, the compound (and corresponding price tag) are different. For your sled (the one in your "current sled") the best belt to use is a 3211115 from OEM, which is the better/stronger version of the 3211080, otherwise a Ultimax XS809 will work well.

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=269775&category=Snowmobiles&make=Polaris&year=2002&fveh=6518 #6

#4 ·
The belt in your eBay add will not fit your sled, the 065 is longer then the stock belt for your sled which is the 080. The 065 is designed for the Gen II and I think some of the later Wedge chassis sleds also had them. The reason it is longer is the distance between the crank and the jack shaft are different because of where the engine was placed in the chassis.

I would never spend the big dollars for the 115 belt to run it on the BB 800. The 115 was originally designed for the 900 and 755 motors which were notorious for shredding belts like tissue paper, and the 080's just couldn't handle it, so they needed a stronger belt, the 115 is made of kevlar. The BB 800s don't have as much belt trouble so I see no reason to spend the extra money when the 080 does the job for about half the price (or at least that is what they were going for when I last bought one).

If your going to be racing or doing some serious performance mods, then maybe the 115 is needed, but for a relatively stock sled used moderately there is no real need.

#5 ·
here in Canada, a 115 belt is $180, a 080 is $100. So I'd imagine your prices, would reflect, but just less. It's worth it in my opinion with an 800 spinning a 156" track at high RPM most of the time.

#6 ·
An 800 unless it's really modded, should be fine with an 1080 belt. Don't go to a 1115 belt unless you really need to, they will actually cause excess clutch wear because they are so stiff.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the input! It's pretty much stock and staying stock!

So the 5020 is the cheapie that I bought and returned, this one is also 5020 but a more expensive one ans my sled is on the list, would this one work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-RMK-600-700-800-Snowmobile-Drive-Belt-XTX5020-/270930187255?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f14b293f7&vxp=mtr. Thanks.

#9 ·
RMKguy18 said:
The person with the 065 emailed me back and said that was the belt that came stock on my sled and is a good one to use.
Check out the Ebay add and look at the list of machines that it will fit. It is the same list as the Polaris site. Do you see your machine listed??

I am assuming this is for the 02 you have listed in your forum info?
If you go to a Polaris website, the belt to use is a 3211080. That would be the best option considering $$, fit, longevity.

The 3111115 is NOT a perfect match to the 080. Width and circumference are "close" and the side angle is out by 2 degrees. Sure it will work, but not perfect. Plus double the cost.

Get the 080

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.