Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

99 indy 500XC carb adjustments?

This is a discussion on 99 indy 500XC carb adjustments? within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I was wondering if anyone out there has any info on stock carb adjustments on a 1999 indy 500XC? Like the E-clip position on the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 99 indy 500XC carb adjustments?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I was wondering if anyone out there has any info on stock carb adjustments on a 1999 indy 500XC? Like the E-clip position on the needle, air/fuel mixture screws on the right side of the carbs...I have pulled the carbs off and cleaned them and want to make sure I adjust them right! I don't have any manuals for this sled, and I haven't had much luck finding anyone around here with any info. As far as I can tell the proper main jets are installed for the area and temp i'm in(370)...I should have started out by saying i'm new to sledding, and wonder why I didn't get into it years ago! :P What a BLAST!!
    I was also wondering about reed valve replacement or what to look for to know if the reed valves are weak, bad, etc?? The sled I picked up has 1500 miles on it and appears to be in really nice shape! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Welcome to the site, good to hear you love the sport.

I have the owner's supplement with all the carb settings at the top of page two.
    Attachment 196423

Stock reed valves usually don't go bad, unless they have seen many many miles. If you feel like looking anyways, chipped or broken petals mean the reeds need to be replaced.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Parts_MN
    Welcome to the site, good to hear you love the sport.

I have the owner's supplement with all the carb settings at the top of page two.
    Attachment 196424

Stock reed valves usually don't go bad, unless they have seen many many miles. If you feel like looking anyways, chipped or broken petals mean the reeds need to be replaced.
    Thanks for the reply! When I had the carbs apart they looked super clean but the adjustment specs will come in handy, thanks! I went into the carbs because from idle to mid throttle the sled just doesn't sound right to me...It could be very normal tho because i'm not familiar with the sled...It just doesn't sound smooth to me until 3/4 throttle to full...Its hard to describe, almost like its boggy, but yet it doesn't seem to lack power?? I guess thats why I was wondering about the reed valves...Any suggestion you may have to check or look for i'd appreciate it!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Alright!! I was checking out the sled tonight and found the wiring harness loom holder, for the ignition coil, pinched between the reed cage and the engine block on the right carb side!! Someone before I purchased the sled must have been in a hurry and had their head up their ASS!! The sled sounds and runs like it should now!!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ndgoodwrench
    Alright!! I was checking out the sled tonight and found the wiring harness loom holder, for the ignition coil, pinched between the reed cage and the engine block on the right carb side!! Someone before I purchased the sled must have been in a hurry and had their head up their ASS!! The sled sounds and runs like it should now!!
    Hmmmm... I am going to have to check those wires on mine, now. I've had two 2000 500xc's and both of them have had the symptoms that you describe... It has a slight hesitation and rough sound below 5-6000rpm, but jetting changes had little to no effect. I had just resorted to saying that's the way they are... Maybe not?

This user has no status.

Member #
    The non-VES liberty 500's tend to have that little hesitation down low its just the nature of the port design compared to the exhaust valved 500's.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Well I got alittle ahead of myself in my last post...Took the sled out tonight, and seems to act the same [Disappointed]...Frustrating!! Maybe seems rich?? Pulled the plugs and they look fine... Does anyone think playing around with the e-clip on the needle would help...??

This user has no status.

Member #
    I adjusted the e-clip up and down a few positions, removed the carbs again and rechecked for plugged ports (none found), removed the reeds and inspected them (they look good), still doesn't seem right...pulled the plugs and they seem to be more wet with fuel...Does anyone know if these sleds have problems with CDI ignition systems??

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have had a 99 500xc for approx 8 yrs. and it has done the same thing as you are talking about. Just a little boggy at the bottom. Once it gets going it's very quick. I've dropped the needle jet and the clip is on the the top but still no change will be moving it back. I'm running a 350 main at 2000 ft above sea level. I've always threatened to drop it down a couple sizes maybe to a 320 main. Would be nice to know what others are running for mains and altitude.

is Waiting for snow, as always.

Member #
    The symptoms you describe sound like it could be a bit rich in the idle circuit. If you changed the mains for elevation, you may need to change the pilot jets as well accordingly. Basically, you're running on pilot jets until 1/4 throttle, pilots and mains from 1/4 to 3/4, then fully on the mains from 3/4 to WOT. Since your symptoms include a little bog / lag until you hit 3/4 throttle, you could be a little rich in the lower end because of pilots that are just a tad too large.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links