Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Polaris XLT won't stay running

This is a discussion on Polaris XLT won't stay running within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; My 95 Polaris XLT 600 triple is running like crap. I am having a hard time to get it to start, once I doI tried ...

Thread: Polaris XLT won't stay running

This user has no status.

Member #
    My 95 Polaris XLT 600 triple is running like crap. I am having a hard time to get it to start, once I doI tried to drive it around my yard and it didn't always have power, at low power it would pop and backfire, the headlights, dash lights, and heater lights would all flash on and off. After about 5 minutes it finally just stopped and would not start. I pulled it back in the garage, went and ate dinner, pulled the plugs and had good spark. Put the plugs back in and it started right up. Still did not have all of its power.

A little background, 3 weeks ago I was out ice fishing and hit a soft spot, sled went down, had to get divers to get it out. Got it home and pulled the plugs, drained it out and got it to run that night. Changed out all of the gas, oil, chain case oil, pulled the seat and dried it out. After putting the seat back on I realized I was not getting gas and the gas line had come off inside the tank. I replaced that and changed the fuel line with a clear line so I could see fuel flow.

I am stumped on where to go now, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

This user has no status.

Member #
    80 reads and no replies, do I have the plague? I am just looking for some direction, I am going to check every electrical conection tonight, Do you think that the lights flashing is a stator problem, possibly still have some water in it? I am stumped and very mechanically inclined just need a little direction.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I am not a sled expert by any means, I come from an automotive background. Have you tried cleaning the grounds? There is a ground right at the voltage regulator. Or, maybe the voltage regulator is going away. Just some thoughts.

I'd be smearing dielectric grease on every connector probe also.

is for sale 98 XC600 near MINT
    cond!

Member #
    From sinking it its obviously an electrical prob. Stator,cdi,coil,throttle safty,ignition switch,kill switch, etc. I'd unplug all the connections check for water and as said fill um die-electric grease. Worse case is the water damaged the stator and or flywheel with rust.

is full bore in firewood mode!!!!

Member #
    You sunk it! who knows, time to check all wires for corrosion, rust. clean carbs again, check all hoses for ice/blockages.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have the same automotive background and checked the grounds, I have been putting dielectric grease in all of the connections, I will do more tonight. I agree it is electrical, most of this troubleshooting is to swap it out and see if it fixed it. Kind of a pain in the A when you don't have another sled to swap it out with.

Thanks for the replies, kind of was hoping somebody would throw out something I had not thought of.

is starting to get the itch to
    ride

Member #
    Check it for spark when the problem happens. If it has strong spark and is still hard to start then you can look for fuel issues (ice, etc.). Try dumping some iso-heet in the tank and see if that helps. Its worth a try!

This user has no status.

Member #
    So 99% of the time all I use this site for is the search function and I hate when I go to a thread and the outcome is not posted.
    turns out I had three problems, 1. the lights were flashing because the ground post that grounds the chassis was stripped and loose. I replaced that, lights dont flash anymore. 2. the magnets inside the flywheel free and dragging on the magneto, replaced the flywheel.... what a pain to get that off, then I mashed the threads on the end of the crank, had to borrow a die from a friend, 16 mm x 1.5 incase anyone ever needs to know. 3. the last problem is rather obvious if you read the thread, but did not make sense at the time with all of the other electrical problems, the bowls were about 1/2 way full of water, I had cleaned them before and thought that I got all of the gas out. May siphon it out again and try again. Still not running perfect but it is out of my garage.

Links