Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

750 turbo 4 stoke going away!?!?!?

This is a discussion on 750 turbo 4 stoke going away!?!?!? within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I've noticed the last few years polaris is making fewer and fewer sleds with their 750cc turbo 4 stroke engine. Why do you think they ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 750 turbo 4 stoke going away!?!?!?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I've noticed the last few years polaris is making fewer and fewer sleds with their 750cc turbo 4 stroke engine. Why do you think they are doing this? It seemed like a great concept a 750cc turbo putting out 130hp, so why are they getting rid of it? Do you think they will come out with a new four stoke motor?

I love Polaris but if I were to ever buy a new sled I'd buy a four stroke sled, and Polaris seems to be going all 2 stroke... Four strokes just last so much longer than 2 strokes...

This user has no status.

Member #
    Polaris seems pretty focused on the mountain segment first and foremost as of the last 2-3 seasons. They have mostly dominated this segment, all while the mountain class sleds have seen huge gains in sales. I guess from a business standpoint it makes sense to focus on profits, and in this segment there isn't really a place for a fourstroke (yet) since there is still enough of a weight penalty to keep two strokes alive for a while yet. Biggest problem with the 750 turbo was weight and I don't know how well it would have adapted to the Rush front end. I think thats why its been left on the backburner for a while now. I thought the 750 turbo was a good start for Polaris and they should have kept developing it to gain a better foothold in the 4 stroke segment. Now they are in dead last place and will have to work really hard to put out any new product that can really snap up sales. With a bit of cost effective tuning, the 750 could be turned into a real powerhouse that was still decent on fuel and had good reliability.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the response CanadianXCR, that makes a little more sense. Unfortunately i think you have a good point that now that Polaris has put their 4 stroke "on the back burner" they are basically back at step 1 in four strokes.

I know this is the Polaris segment of the forum, but have you heard anything bad about ski doo's 1200 4 tec? How about yamaha's four strokes? They have switched over to all four strokes now.

is suffering from a sore butt

Member #
    They didn't make as many of them because customers didn't buy them.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 01polarisxcsp500
    Thanks for the response CanadianXCR, that makes a little more sense. Unfortunately i think you have a good point that now that Polaris has put their 4 stroke "on the back burner" they are basically back at step 1 in four strokes.

I know this is the Polaris segment of the forum, but have you heard anything bad about ski doo's 1200 4 tec? How about yamaha's four strokes? They have switched over to all four strokes now.
    Yamaha made a commitment to run an all four stroke lineup since around 2006 I believe. Their motors are bullet proof and widely recognized as the benchmark in 4 stroke sleds. I had an 03 RX1, the engine was superb, handling wasn't anything to cry home about though, and it was very heavy. Problem with Yamaha now is their lineup is very dated and both Cat and Doo have had 4 strokes on the snow now for several seasons and they both seem to be holding up well. The Cat and Doo have way better handling and suspension too, and their weight is somewhat better. The Cat can be a real monster with minor tuning and bolt ons.

Polaris seemed to have some bad luck out of the gate with the early FST's in 06 and 07, i think this contributed to poor overall sales, even in later years. Most of the bugs were cleared up in 08, with the later models (09-12) being the most reliable. There is a pretty good following over on Polaris Files, the guys running them over on that site seem to know the tuning tricks that make them go fast and stay reliable.

This user has no status.

Member #
    They never fitted the current FST motor to the pro-r chassis, so it will die with the IQ..

I saw something about polaris buying a european engine company to build lightweight 4 strokes a couple years ago, but I haven't seen anything about it since then. Maybe they're working the bugs out on the new setup in the pro-r?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Polaris actually purchased Swiss Auto which is the mfg. of the Weber 750 turbo they used. The company has built some impressive powerplants used in various powersport applications. Hopefully these guys will bring something impressive to the 4 stroke sled segment soon for Polaris, they have a big gap to fill in their product lineup.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I can see a newer version of the 750 turbo in the pro ride in the next few years. I can also see Polaris offering a few different four stroke engines in varying power classes. Something to compete with cat's 1100 turbo sales especially if it is much lighter and more reliable, and a smaller version for those not as interested in the big horse power.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks guys for the responses, lots of good info and points!

If i had to pick a sled power plant right now (which i don't because i don't have the money to buy a new sled and i love my xcsp 500)I'd go with the ski doo 1200 4 tec, sounds like a reliable, reasonable light, powerful power plant and i like the way ski doo's look and with their new r-motion suspension they are almost as good (if not maybe better) than the Polaris pro-r progressive rate suspention...
    The only thing i don't like about the newer sleds is that trying to do maintenance on them is a Bi**h!!! With only two little side panels that come off for access to the engine vs the older sleds where the whole hood opened they are really making maintaining theses sleds difficult!

It will be interesting to see if Polaris jumps back into four stokes, i sure hope they do! I love the way Polaris sleds look and if they came out with a 100-130+hp reliable four stroke motor for a reasonable price in the future, if i have the money, I'M SOLD!!!

Vdub & 907 For life
    This user has no status.

Member #
    The 2 panels and hood come off on the pro so it makes it a little easier but like you said not as easy as the older sleds. Polaris will bring back the 4-stroke but probably will take some time to put in into the pro.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links