Sled is jerky when riding
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Sled is jerky when riding within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; So my 04 Polaris 600 edge touring started riding really jerky the other day. It doesn't want to pick up speed and if I try ...

Thread: Sled is jerky when riding

This user has no status.

Member #

So my 04 Polaris 600 edge touring started riding really jerky the other day. It doesn't want to pick up speed and if I try to go faster the engine bogs a little. I can also smell a bit of belt burning. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the problem have something to do with something in the chaincase? It's like there's too much resistance from the track/chaincase/jackshaft. Need help where to look first. Thanks

This user has no status.

Member #
    By the way, it started doing this after I was stuck one day and went in forward and reverse a bunch of times trying to get out

This user has no status.

Member #
    Could be a few things. I'd start with removing the belt and inspecting it for flat spots or glazing. Then while the belt is off lift the rear of the sled and turn the track to check for resistance. That should get you started in the right direction.

is waiting for the cure to my
    summertime blues...

Member #
    I would definitely start by looking at the belt. Then continue with on with the case if you feel it requires attention. Couldn't hurt to inspect the drive gears n chain

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning

This user has no status.

Member #
    I put a new belt on it and also have rotated the track. It seems to be fine. I partially took apart my primary clutch and cleaned the weights and pins because they were a bit sticky. They aren't worn and they move freely now. When I ride slow, I can feel a definite jerk every few seconds. When I go faster, it turns into an extra vibration. What would cause that? Just looking for answers without tearing apart the whole sled. Would a bad bogie wheel bearing cause that?

is suffering from a sore butt

Member #
    You didn't do your drivetrain any favors when you were spinning it while you were buried in a hole. If your belt is burning and your motor bogs on acceleration, probably your clutches aren't shifting right. You might have broken or jammed something up in the secondary when you were shifting back and forth between reverse and forward.

With the sled on a track stand, can you spin the track by hand reasonably easily? What do the clutches and belt do when you run the sled on a stand? If your belt and clutches aren't the problem, I'd say look at your driveshaft and track. If the plastic drivers on your driveshaft are broken, or you burned a bunch of the drive nubbins off the inside of your track, it could cause the problems you are experiencing.
    2006 Stihl Chainsaw
    1980's Vintage Lawnboy Lawnmower
    2005 Husqvarna Weed Whacker (It sucks to rewind the string, but that 31cc motor sure is torquey!)
    2000 Polaris XCSP Edge 600 (1.5" Track, 22x40 gearing, Aaen exhaust, Student Driver pivot riser package)

This user has no status.

Member #
    The track will rotate by hand and doesn't feel like it binds at all. I checked the driveshaft drivers and they all look fine as to the nubs on the inside of the track. I did have my secondary apart a few weeks ago and I noticed that the large washer (not sure right terms) that the tensioner bolt pushes on had worn a bit into the sheave where it contacts it. Could that cause a jerky feeling when going slow and vibration when fast?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links