Snowmobile Fanatics banner

2001 Indy 500 Modifications, looking for some tech help

8K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  TheBiologist 
#1 ·
Good Morning All, I'm modding a 01 edge indy 500 that I have had for about 9 years. Its a good sled, I havent used it much so it doesnt have many miles, but my needs have changed and I dont trail ride anymore. I need something that has a longer track, and is geared much lower for pulling dogsleds while icefishing. So one thing at a time,

I bought a 144 rear skid from a 06, or maybe 07 switchback, came with a 1.25" track. The guy i bought it from wasnt sure, any way to tell, or does it matter? Does anyone have one of those and can give me the distance between front and rear mounting bolts? and the distance it should be down from the tunnel in the back. Or is there a website where that information would be published? Thanks.

Second, I fully realize that with my little 500 engine, this thing will need to be geared down significantly. It came factory with 21/40 gears and a 9 tooth driver. I ordered 19/42's for it and a 8 tooth driver for the reduction and the clearance so I can run pics. I figured this out to be a 2.2 gear ratio on the gears alone, down from a 1.9, plus the smaller driver. Does anyone have experience with going from 121 to 144 tracks, is that enough? I want it low, like old ski doo tundra low. I havent driven over 50 mph in years, most of what I do is breaking trails through the woods and ice fishing.

I havent looked into the clutch yet, any advice on that?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Check out jbshocks.com He has a bunch of great tech info on various suspension swaps. You will likely need to make or purchase drop brackets for the rear to hang from. As for the clutching, there will be others that can help better or maybe call SLP and let them know your plan and see what they say. Good luck and keep us posted.

#11 ·
Okay, so i have my measurements, but ran into another problem. My indy has mechanical reverse. I am starting to think that this might have been an aftermarket option. The bottom gear is completely different, has a roller bearing center. The 42 tooth gear that I bought wont fit. I havent been able to find any other options to replace the lower gear with the roller bearing inside. If anyone knows of a manufacturer let me know. At this point, I have a couple of options, I can use the 19 tooth top and the 40 tooth bottom, and get a 2.1 ratio, but my calculator tells me thats 72.2 chain links. Cant find a 73 link chain, would a 72 stretch that far? Could use an 18 top and get the ratio I want, and the chain length under 72, but I have heard to stay away from going that small on the top as it will bind the chain. I cant imagine with my little 488 I would be in danger of breaking anything. Or i can just rip the reverse out and use the gears I want. Also not a good option. Any advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.