XCR 440 owners. - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

XCR 440 owners.

This is a discussion on XCR 440 owners. within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I just put in new spark plugs and I have noticed that the machine runs good when I start to drive it, but then after ...

Page 4 of 695 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast
Like Tree367Likes

Thread: XCR 440 owners.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I just put in new spark plugs and I have noticed that the machine runs good when I start to drive it, but then after a couple minutes it starts to run sluggish, it will idle very low, and will bog until the revs get high enough to where the clutch engages but will still run sluggish. I am wondering if it could possibly be the cdi or coil?

This user has no status.

Member #
    nope, sounds like a fuel problem for sure...coil or cdi you have no spark most likely...another thing i noticed on your sled was the air box foam, my 98 has the foam in the hood, and just a surround on the air box..pull your carbs off and clean them, check your jetting and work from there...

is Tryin to figure out this new
    formatt. Been awhile since he
    has signed into SF

Member #
    Make sure you use either Champ BR9ES or Ngk R2NC plugs.(Note, the codes might be switched around, I cannot correctly rememeber which is which) When you remove your airbox have a look to the fuel filter. You should see it once you remove the airbox, and see if its dirty. Also again I think I read another post that your VES valves you were concerned about them. There is a good chance thoes valves could be pluged. If you are unsure about how to check them and clean them just reply in this thread. Someone will be able to tell you what to doo. I know when I first got my sled and drove it there was a point where I couldn't break 7000rpm cause they were pluged that bad. That could be the probabal reason why you said your sled will only turn out low rpm's. I think you should check your VES first and pull them out. Just be careful not to tear the gasket. I bet you thats what your problem is, your valves.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for all of the help everyone. I probably don't sound too smart about this stuff but it is my first sled with more modern technology compared to my old xlt. I have been trying to find a website that has a how-to on cleaning VES valves with pictures, since I have never seen or done this before. Hopefully that is the problem since it is kind of annoying to just buy a sled and not have it run the way it should. If someone could possibly tell me how, or lead me to a good site that shows how to clean the VES valves that would be perfect! Thanks for all the help again.

has signed into SF

Member #
    Originally posted by moto-ski-man
    [br]Thanks for all of the help everyone. I probably don't sound too smart about this stuff but it is my first sled with more modern technology compared to my old xlt. I have been trying to find a website that has a how-to on cleaning VES valves with pictures, since I have never seen or done this before. Hopefully that is the problem since it is kind of annoying to just buy a sled and not have it run the way it should. If someone could possibly tell me how, or lead me to a good site that shows how to clean the VES valves that would be perfect! Thanks for all the help again.
    Hey bro, I was the same way when I bought mine. I learned from watching and that. To clean your VES valves you want to slide the metal clip down on the black caps. Be careful thoe, keep peassure on it with one hand and slowly let it come out, there is a spring in there. Once you take them out you will see on both sides of the bellows where you have to take and allen key. Unscrew the 2 bolts out. Once out the housing my seem tight/hard/stuck. So wiggle it untill it starts to loosing up and SLOWELY try to pull the housing out from the engine. This might be hard if the valves are gummed up. Once you pull them out you will see the valve, it will appear to be back form the carbon. Unscrew the valve from the housing, you will want to hold on to the bellow to do this. Thats the plastic cap, cause the valve screws into that. Once you unscrew it use carb cleaner/gas to clean the valve. The carbon will be hard to get off! Use real fine sandpaper (emmory cloth) to remove it. Also you can try a razor blade but be carful not to scrape the metal, or cut yourself. ONce they are clean look to where the valve sits in the engine. Just above you should see a small tiny hole, spray some carb cleaner or gas down into the hole and that say a paper clip and try to get all the carbon out of the hole. CHeck on the housing just above where the valve screws into the hole you will see a place where it looks kinda like a chamber. Clean that out. That should be it for them. Also check the bellows/rubber in the housing to see if it may by ripped, cause you said you seen exhuast comming from 1 of the valves. If they are good...screw the valve back into the housing and make it snug and turn it untill it is linned up paraelle with the housing. Place the VES back in the hole and screw to tow bolts back in with the allen keys.(Make them tight but dont tighten them as hard as you can!!!) Place the spring in the hole in the top of the valve houing, line it up with the grove in the black cap and pull the clamp back over it. YOu might find that abit tricky but it will come on. Gets easier everytime you do it. I know thats alot but thats how you do em. You sled will feel 10x as better once you have them cleaned. Anymore questions just ask...

This user has no status.

Member #
    [br]I just put in new spark plugs and I have noticed that the machine runs good when I start to drive it, but then after a couple minutes it starts to run sluggish, it will idle very low, and will bog until the revs get high enough to where the clutch engages but will still run sluggish. I am wondering if it could possibly be the cdi or coil?
    Go ahead and clean the carbs but I am not so sure thats the issue. I went thru my carbs twice and they are clean as new and I have a similar problem with my sled. Goes like a raped ape for a little while and after I come to a stop the idle drops down and the sled wants to pull itself. I think its a secondary clutch issue. How high is the top of your belt sitting on the secondary? I am going to post this in the general polaris post and hopefully get some feedback. Got a couple other issues as well.

BTW all, I also would be greatfull for a xcr 440 forum.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks XCR4403X, I will give it a shot at cleaning the valves, but is there anything you replace each time they get cleaned like a gasket or something, just so I am prepared. Zrxpilot my belt sits a little below or even with the secondary and the adjuster is all the way to 5, but I am picking up a new belt soon since this one is clearly worn, and then I think I am supposed to turn the adjuster back to 3 or when the belt sits 1/8" above the secondary, thats how I did it on my xlt anyways.

This user has no status.

Member #
    You have the same situation I have. My belt is sitting maybe 1/16" above the top of the secondary when cold and it drops a bit when it gets warm. My thinking is that for some reason the sheaves arent closing together tight enough to keep the belt on top causing the motor to drag and drop down the idle. (note, this is all theory) I think it should be higher than that like an 1/8 to 3/16" but what do I know. I got a new belt and the adjuster is cranked as far tight as it can go. I went into my secondary for the first time in my life. Had no idea what I was looking at. Didnt pay attention to what hole the spring was in (didnt know there were several choices). Spent some time here and decided to put it in the second hole. Maybe thats the problem, the spring is sprung or in the wrong hole. There are also rubber buttons in there that evidently wear out but I have no idea of what a good one is supposed to look like. Wasnt a big job. Monday I am going to tear it apart again, put new rubber buttons and spring in it and confirm which hole the spring is supposed to be in. Its my guess that this will fix the problem.If not, I will have some piece of mind that my secondary is in good shape. Maybe try a different belt like the fella from Canada reccomends. I would have to search for the belt part number.

Anyways, if you figure this out before I do, please post your findings.

has signed into SF

Member #
    [br]Thanks XCR4403X, I will give it a shot at cleaning the valves, but is there anything you replace each time they get cleaned like a gasket or something, just so I am prepared. Zrxpilot my belt sits a little below or even with the secondary and the adjuster is all the way to 5, but I am picking up a new belt soon since this one is clearly worn.
    If you can remove the valves without tearing the gasket that would be good so you can put them back in and try the sled out to see what effect it had. But I would recomend if you did buy new gaskets for next time you have to clean them. By the looks of the pic I seen of your engine, looks like theres a good amount of oil that came out over time and probably weakened the VES gaskets. Also if you are going to get a new belt make sure you get the 074 and not the 067.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The previous owner was just at my house to show me a few things about the machine and we figured out that the spark plug wire had came loose from the plug cap, which explains the way it ran, I'm just glad it was that because I thought it was going to be the coil. When I buy a belt how come you recommend the 074 over the 067? What is the differance between the two? Thanks.

Page 4 of 695 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links