XCR 440 owners. - Page 689
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

XCR 440 owners.

This is a discussion on XCR 440 owners. within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Originally Posted by WMarshy $200? Wow! Why do you guys use a thread locker on those anyways? It's not like they are going to unthread. ...

Page 689 of 691 FirstFirst ... 189 589 639 679 687 688 689 690 691 LastLast
Results 6,881 to 6,890 of 6910
Like Tree363Likes

Thread: XCR 440 owners.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarshy View Post
    $200? Wow!
    Why do you guys use a thread locker on those anyways? It's not like they are going to unthread. All I do is snug them hand tight and I've never found them to loosen. Seems excessive to me, especially if you're using the red lock tight that needs heat to release it. What am I missing, an I doing it wrong?
    Personally I wouldn't buy a pair for that kind of money if they weren't a duplicate of the OEM ones with the threaded hole.

I suppose you could clip the spins to compensate for the added compression with the nuts.
    Actually the plastic pistons are a known problem on these sleds as they age and yes they do come loose and then you drop a valve and BANG, rest is history. You are supposed to use blue Loctite on the threads. Start cutting springs on your VES and see how your sled runs, you won't like it. $200 may seem a bit steep but you have to remember these are one off parts and you can't expect someone to do all this stuff for free. Of course if they made a run of 200 it would drive the cost down.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeker View Post
    Greeting, I have a couple question on my 97 RR.
    Cleaning my ves, I have one polaris and 1 skidoo. The oem bellow is ripped, should I get a new one or covert that one to the skidoo type? If I remember correctly, it's the late 90's 600 triple skidoo bellow and pistion.
    I know it's a sore subject for some, but I picked up a set of HSP x heavy hitters 50.5 gram. Has anyone tried these with good results or should I just put them on the surface grinder to 49.5 grams?. I'm currently using the s51red, HSP black , HSP 52/34 hypershift with HSP orange in 2nd hole.
    I appreciate all you help.
    I would try them first, can't go back after you grind them. Try them with the current setup you have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeker View Post
    When buying the new bellows windesta is making, where is everone getting there's from since you can't buy direct?
    I haven't seem them advertised anywhere other than Winderosas website.
    '98 XCR 440 "Red Rocket"

370 Mains W/TempaFlow Airbox Vented Under Shelf 1/8 Turn CCW
    17.5 Pilots W/UFO's & Torque Flows
    P-4 286 Needle Jet W/6DH7 Needles #2 Position W/1 .020 EGT Shim
    S53Red Weights, Polaris Almond/Gold W/911 Response Cover
    TEAM TSS98 66-44-.46, Red/Blue
    22/41 Gearing
    Camoplast Ice Ripper
    Kimpex Arrow Skis W/Woodys Carbides
    Koso EGT/H20/RPM Digital Gauge

'16 Switchback Pro-S 800 Snow Check

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianXCR View Post
    Actually the plastic pistons are a known problem on these sleds as they age and yes they do come loose and then you drop a valve and BANG, rest is history. You are supposed to use blue Loctite on the threads. Start cutting springs on your VES and see how your sled runs, you won't like it. $200 may seem a bit steep but you have to remember these are one off parts and you can't expect someone to do all this stuff for free. Of course if they made a run of 200 it would drive the cost down.
    I'll be sure to use some blue lock tight then. Just seems like a low probability for them to loosen, obviously it's not impossible though.

It might interest you to know that I have ran my sled with the ves springs shortened before. The previous owner clipped about 1/4" off each spring. I put OEM springs back in and didn't notice any difference. My suggestion to shorten them was because otherwise they will have a higher initial preload and will take more force to open the valve. You might even get coil bind but I don't know that for sure.

Regarding the $200, they look like a high school student turned them. I appreciate him going through the trouble to make some but it definetly seems like a premium for what your getting. Just my 2 cents, not trying to be rude.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hello guys, need some quick help. I need to replace the primary clutch on my '98. What other sled can I rob a clutch off of that fits? Would one from say a '98 xc 6-700 work? I do realize that I would need to change the springs and weights to the correct ones on the replacement. I am having trouble getting a solid answer. Anywhere else I asked this question it has turned into pissing match between guys debating wether or not this is a Fuli or Liberty motor and also alot of conversation on the taper size and conflicting answers that leaves me in a grey area. Thanks for the help guys

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by XCR440SPRR View Post
    Guys

Anybody need some aluminum pistons for your 1998 XCR 440! I can have them made!!!

Here is my 1st set!!!

$200 a pair...Paypal me and I will send them out once he makes them...Figure one to two weeks to get.
    They sure look like they could get the job done. Have you compared weight vs. stock plastic? When I was thinking about this to address the nut clearance issue, I would have tried to leave material where the current molded "nut" is present on the stock cap. I would have threaded that from the inside and made sure the clearance for the springs was stock. You could easily spin these on by hand and use blue Loctite and be fine, nut not totally needed IMO. Hindsight is always 20/20 though, thanks for posting this up and doing the legwork

Quote Originally Posted by WMarshy View Post
    I'll be sure to use some blue lock tight then. Just seems like a low probability for them to loosen, obviously it's not impossible though.

It might interest you to know that I have ran my sled with the ves springs shortened before. The previous owner clipped about 1/4" off each spring. I put OEM springs back in and didn't notice any difference. My suggestion to shorten them was because otherwise they will have a higher initial preload and will take more force to open the valve. You might even get coil bind but I don't know that for sure.

Regarding the $200, they look like a high school student turned them. I appreciate him going through the trouble to make some but it definetly seems like a premium for what your getting. Just my 2 cents, not trying to be rude.
    They don't need to be pretty to work. As long as the weight is close, it threads onto the valve and stays put and holds the bellow in place, then you are golden. You have to pay a premium for parts that are now obsolete. Way of the road bubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom-Stick View Post
    Hello guys, need some quick help. I need to replace the primary clutch on my '98. What other sled can I rob a clutch off of that fits? Would one from say a '98 xc 6-700 work? I do realize that I would need to change the springs and weights to the correct ones on the replacement. I am having trouble getting a solid answer. Anywhere else I asked this question it has turned into pissing match between guys debating wether or not this is a Fuli or Liberty motor and also alot of conversation on the taper size and conflicting answers that leaves me in a grey area. Thanks for the help guys
    This is no guarantee, but to the best of my knowledge same era 6/700 Liberty twin uses the same crank as the 440 VES (liberty) so you shouldn't have a problem. Of course you will need to swap spring and weights over as mentioned. I just looked on the Polaris fiche, crank p/n is 2201234 for the 440/6/700 liberty so you should be good.
    '98 XCR 440 "Red Rocket"

22/41 Gearing
    Camoplast Ice Ripper

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks CanadianXCR that was the most solid answer I have gotten! I was thinking I should be ok if I could hunt down a clutch from a xc 6-700. Thats the next task...finding one of those close to me.

This user has no status.

Member #
    You should be able to find one without too much trouble, even nearly 20 years later the trails are still polluted with those old girls, lol. What's wrong with yours that it needs complete replacement?
    '98 XCR 440 "Red Rocket"

22/41 Gearing
    Camoplast Ice Ripper

This user has no status.

Member #
    Where are you located Boom-Stick?
    Rip Nasty '98 XCR 440 with 136" SLP Extension 1.25" Ripsaw
    Carbs: 340 Mains, 40 Pilot, 6DH7 Needle, 159-P4 Needle Jet, Screws 1.25 turns
    Driven: 21:41 Gears, 52-36 Helix, spring in 2nd hole

This user has no status.

Member #
    What do you mean by no Air Snorkel?? is the 98 a better machine?? What difference is there between the 97 and 98 hood?? are the Valves and bellows the same too as the 98??

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    Its a 97' xcr 440 ves. Pretty much the same as a 98. Only real differences are is the non red head, no air intake snorkel, a few small part updates on the 98. A good machine, most claim it to have 93ish hp. Read this thread. ALot of info to be found!

I see you have a 98 hood on it.
    What do you mean by no Air Snorkel?? is the 98 a better machine?? What difference is there between the 97 and 98 hood?? are the Valves and bellows the same too as the 98??

is time to make the firewood!!!

Member #
    Look at your hood. By the gauges. You have a black snorkel. The true 97's just have the black plate that covers the hole to the air box. 98's only have a sealing foam from hood to air box, there is no lid over the foam. The 97's have foam that seals the air box lid. Neather is better as they are fundamentaly the same.
    2003 Pro x 700
    almond/blue,10-66, black/red,team 719, T-flow, 440 mains

1997 XCF 440

1997 XCR440
    HSP Black,S51HR,HSP Orange,52/34,19/39,380 main,17.5 PAJ's,ufo's,T-flow below shelf,159 P-4 nozzles, stock 6DH7 needle #2 pos.

1998 Indy 500

1987 Sport 340

Past toys;
    1998 Explorer|1999 F-250 SD V10 | 1997 F-150 SC 5.4L | 1995 F-150 RC 5.0L | 1980 F-150 RC 5.0L | 1980 Chevy CK 1500 350ci 3.4 ton lifted springs |

1998 XC 700 | 1996 ULTRA SP | 1995 XCR 600 | 1991 RXL | 1992 XCR 440 | 1990 INDY 400 | 1987 INDY 400 | 1987 INDY TRAIL |

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links