Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Is a Base gasket leak bad? (possible exhuast leak)

This is a discussion on Is a Base gasket leak bad? (possible exhuast leak) within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Hahaha. Dumb question I Know. I noticed on my 700 XcSp.On the right cylinder (chaincase side). There is a small damp spot (oil) on one ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is a Base gasket leak bad? (possible exhuast leak)

is Back after 7 months

Member #
    Hahaha. Dumb question I Know.

I noticed on my 700 XcSp.On the right cylinder (chaincase side). There is a small damp spot (oil) on one corner(actually under the exhuast).

There is no oil spraying anywhere.. I guess it might be starting to go???? I hope this isn't something I have to tear apart the engine immediatley for>>> i just picked this sled up.....

thoughts

is full bore in firewood mode!!!!

Member #
    Sounds like too much oil and it is leaking out when running. Try snugging up the exhaust bolts. A base gasket leak would make the sled run lean and laek coolant. Spray some carb cleaner while running and see if the rpm's go up.

is Back after 7 months

Member #
    will do... after I get them Valves back in.
    I guess it will be using alot of oil until it gets nice and cold outside??? Can it be pumping to much oil??? It's not adjustable is it?

and...That would be, spray the carb cleaner around the exhaust manifold and by the cylinder base?
    Thanks

is full bore in firewood mode!!!!

Member #
    ^^^^Yes the pump is adjustable, you will need a small mirror. I used to use the wifes cosmetic mirror till I left all of them in a garage full of oil and grease stains.

I now use a small mirror on a extenable rod. Anyways, see if the lines on the arm and the lines on the pump body line up after all of the slack is taken out of the throttle cable. If not adjust it. I have mine line up after there is 1/4" gap between the throttle and block up on the handlebars.

Spray the cleaner around the basegaskets. You can use it to clean up the oil by the exhaust manifolds.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Not to sound like an idiot but are you sure its not just the exhaust gaskets? When they go it looks like oil coming out who knows where but there and it gets nasty quick. You should see what my 700 looks like. Ecchh.

is Back after 7 months

Member #
    Originally posted by Zrxpilot
    [br]... are you sure its not just the exhaust gaskets? When they go it looks like oil coming out who knows where but there and it gets nasty quick. You should see what my 700 looks like.....
    I'll have to look at it again... But I could be the idiot for over-reacting [xx(]
    Common for the exhuast to leak oil I guess....
    ...I'll get a closer look at it...

Edit: Did more searching.. going to check oil pump, do some adjusting. Maybe clean up and seal up the pipes

Mod-Warrior - Moderator
    is im a nerdy geek attention
    whore wooohooo!!!

Member #
    if its under the exaust that is common. its not a leaky base gasket just an exaust gasket. typical on polaris sleds

JD
    This user has no status.

Member #
    If you do find out, however, that it is a base gasket leak, change it immediately. Base gasket leak can equal a burned down engine very fast.

This user has no status.

Member #
    My exhaust leaks bad...ever since the SLP pipes. But it runs and sounds good...It just looks like crap under the hood. I had it all apart before last season and I cleaned all that mess up. By half way through the season it was a mess again...nature of the beast I guess.

Cross Country Member
    This user has no status.

Member #
    I started using High Temp gasket sealer on all my exhaust gaskets because of the mess. Works pretty well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links