Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

92 Indy 500 SP EFI Bogs and Backfires

This is a discussion on 92 Indy 500 SP EFI Bogs and Backfires within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Need some sane help. Bought a 92 Indy SP EFI last year and it ran great the end of the season. Ran stabilizer through before ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 92 Indy 500 SP EFI Bogs and Backfires

is trying to find out who won the
    IQ Shift

Member #
    Need some sane help. Bought a 92 Indy SP EFI last year and it ran great the end of the season. Ran stabilizer through before storing. Cleaned tank out and ran new gas / plugs (BR9ES) this year and she just bogs after about 5 minutes of idling or riding. Have to feather the heck out of it to keep running, then a good punch or kick and she'll take off for about 20 yards before bogging again.

Changed the fuel filter before the pump, checked the pump with direct power and it pumps steady. Both carbs move free (looked with air box off).

I can't think of anything else for the life of me.

My 89 Indy Classic, hell i've flipped that bad boy and other than a touchy clutch that doesn't like to idle has never given me this much trouble. [V]

This user has no status.

Member #
    take the y pipe off the exhaust side of the engine. and look to see if there is any damage to the pistons or cylinders. the efi models sometimes like to run lean and burn down the pistons. the damage wont show up on a compression tester.

is Rush is in

Member #
    I had one and ran br8es as that was what is reccomended and mine bogged sometimes because of a worn out clutch but it sounds like yours might be for other reasons.
    2010 Rush Snowchecked

09 600 Dragon Sp traded on rush

07 600 IQ LX Sold for dragon

This user has no status.

Member #
    Interesting problem.... I just purchased a RXL 650 1992 from a local dealer and am having a similar problem. It is fuel injected, but has similar symptoms after 10 minutes of steady running at about 5K rpms, when I want to hit the throttle it bogs, when I let go of the throttle and let it recover it is fine for another 100 yards. I replaced the plugs about 10 miles ago. If I let it sit for 5 minutes or so it will resume normal running for about the first few miles than run into the same problems. It is a beautiful sled, but I am about ready to take a hammer to it. I am hoping it is something fixable. Please give me any feedback you might have.

is Anyone know how to install or
    know where I can get
    instructions to install a
    Manik Brush Guard for an 03
    silverado? PM please if anyone
    knows. I'd like to get it on
    today!

Member #
    i have a 91 indy 500 abnd i had just about the same problem. I took it to a dealer and they cleaned carbs, airbox, new fuel filter new plugs everything. they couldnt find a problem with it. When i took it home i drove it around a bit and then noticed that my lights werent very bright. I took it back to the dealer and got a new CDI box for it and i havent had the problem since.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Was that an EFI model? This one is fuel injected. I am researching everything from clutch to the fuel injection unit. I will add your suggestion to my list... thank you. When I was running it today, I couldn't get it over 5k rpms. I'm puzzled.

is is just checking in. :)

Member #
    One thing you need to rule out first is the battery, when the batteries went below 12.2 they suck. Test the voltage when the sled is off and key is off, when the sled is off and key is on, and when the sled is idling. Also, these sleds don't start charging the battery until 6,000 RPM. So if you idle for a while it can take the battery down below that 12.2. Also, check the LED on the mag side to see if it is blinking, this indicates a trouble code. Maybe the TPS needs adjustment.

Next you want to rule out ignition. Check for easy stuff first, like grounded out wires and stuff down on the coils. Also look for plug wires that have rubed on the water mainfold and are grounded out there. If you can't find anything, test the ohms on the coils. From the orange to the black that connects up to the CDI it should be .4 ohms. And black to plug wire should be 7.7k ohms to 10.3k ohms. If this is all good come back and post as such, also do as mentioned above and test for compression.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Just a thought, but check for water in the gas. The water will cause the sled to run lean, lack power, and backfire. My 2000 500 XC had serious backfiring issues after I got it this winter and I found that draining the gas and changing it took care of it. It would bog off the line, get a strong second wind, and then bog again repeatedly.

is is slowly getting the hang of
    the new format

Member #
    You forgot to add Indy that you have to run Resistor plugs in the older EFI's!!!

is is just checking in. :)

Member #
    Yes, you do, the resistor will reduce RF interference in the ECU electronics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links