Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

headlight, dash and tail lights not working

This is a discussion on headlight, dash and tail lights not working within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I have a 97 Polaris Indy 440 that I have lost my headlights, dash and tail lights. It may be my fault,here goes, The sled ...

Thread: headlight, dash and tail lights not working

This user has no status.

Member #

I have a 97 Polaris Indy 440 that I have lost my headlights, dash and tail lights. It may be my fault,here goes, The sled was exhibiting the signs of a voltage regulator failure. A wise once a freind of mine said unplug the voltage regulator. Mind you before this the only problem I had was the dash and headlight flickering. I did that and as my fault forgot to plug it back in so no I assume I hopefully simply blew a inline fuse some where. I did replace the voltage regulator with a part plus one. The odd this is my hand warmers still have power to them so thats why I am assuming a inline fuse popped, any help is always appreciated. SNOWS COMING IN MINNESOTA 15" Yippeeeeee

This user has no status.

Member #
    your lights are blown....if you ran longer than 5 seconds without a regulator your lights will melt down. Pull out your headlight and see. Your handwarmers wont blow like a lightbulb will with exess voltage thats why they work still...

This user has no status.

Member #
    So I assume from what your saying simply replace all the bulbs and I should be ok?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Replace the regulator first. Then install new bulbs.

This user has no status.

Member #
    If I do that and they still dont work, is there anything else I should be looking for. I did try a headlight out of another sled and it did not work after I replaced the voltage regulator also

This user has no status.

Member #
    well...there could be a fuse...you going to need to get a wiring diagram for yur sled and see. If there was a fuse, that most definatly would have went before the bulbs, but on a majority of sleds without fuses the bulbs burn out.....

This user has no status.

Member #
    Check the wiring at the engine for loose/broken terminals. Try replacing the taillight bulbs with new ones. They are cheaper than the headlight bulb and you may already have some. GE194. Many cars/trucks use them in turn signals and marker lights. When the sled is running apply the brake to check the stop lamp also.

Links