Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

High Idle (3500) on Indy 400

This is a discussion on High Idle (3500) on Indy 400 within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I just bought a 1989 Indy 400 and it seems to have a really high idle. It idles at almost 3500. This seems way too ...

Thread: High Idle (3500) on Indy 400

This user has no status.

Member #
    I just bought a 1989 Indy 400 and it seems to have a really high idle. It idles at almost 3500. This seems way too fast to me, and it is just below were the clutch engages at 4000. How can I get the idle any lower? I have screwed the idle screws almost all the way out so it should be as low as it will go. Is there any other way that I can get the idle lower? The sled seems to run well otherwise, besides being a little boggy on the takeoff.

is getting ready for hillclimb
    season..

Member #
    make sure your throttle cable isent getting pinched any where mine is too small so it idles high

This user has no status.

Member #
    Check throttle cable to make sure its not binded up. If the cable checked out ok - you might have other issues such as air leaks that causes your motor to run lean at high idle and if I were you, take to someone that knows snowmobiles to give you their 2 cents. You could have cracked carb boots, crank seals are going bad, and the list can go on. Get it fix before you blow a hole in the piston which could cost you more for repairs. WL
    My neighbor used to say, " The speed that thrills, the speed that kills "

is Itching to ride

Member #
    my indy idles high as well around the same mark. has a bog but then is fine. also boggs right down in depper snow i think i have a backshifting problem.

is Is waiting for parts and
    bummin that when he moves to
    wisconsin there wont be any
    riding. Sleds gonna be lonely
    in the shed

Member #
    Choke it for a sec and should ile down. They idle high when firtst started or if you stop when riding. I should fall down after a while. I always blip the choke on and then off and mine idles down

This user has no status.

Member #
    Could be too lean..

What jetsize you running in it?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Your carb slides may be adjusted too high. Loosen the 10mm nut on top of the carbs and turn the cable in a few turns.
    Or turn your air screw in 1/2 turn and see if it comes down.
    D

is Is waiting for parts and
    bummin that when he moves to
    wisconsin there wont be any
    riding. Sleds gonna be lonely
    in the shed

Member #
    Dont mess with all the jetting unless your shure thats the problem which it probably isnt.
    Look at your piston wash and plugs to see how your mixture is. You might want to drive it a little fist as idling will screw up your readings.
    If its lean on both then jetting is probably in order. If its lean on one then check crank seals and carb boots. Set your airscrews back to factory recomendations and tune lightly

Links