Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Speedo Key Extraction

This is a discussion on Speedo Key Extraction within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; The speedo on my 90 Trail Deluxe stopped working and, after checking out various topics, I decided that I needed to pull the speedo drive ...

Thread: Speedo Key Extraction

This user has no status.

Member #
    The speedo on my 90 Trail Deluxe stopped working and, after checking out various topics, I decided that I needed to pull the speedo drive and check out the bearing at the clutch end of the track drive shaft.

The key was defintely broken - although the bearing doesn't appear to be damaged. It looks like the whole thing might have been caused by the speedo drive freezing up completely due to lack of lubrication. It will not break free and I'm ready to get a new one. The new speedo drive has a zerk fitting which will also provide a method of lubing that bearing at that end of the shaft.

But, about half of the old key is inside the shaft and won't let me insert the new one. I'm guessing if I had the whole shaft on the bench that I could hold it vertical, tap on the side and (hopefully) let gravity remove it. I really don't want to take the time to disassemble half the sled to regain the use of my speedo, but don't know if there is any other way.

[color=darkred]Does anyone know of a way to remove the broken key without completely removing the drive shaft?[/color=darkred]

If I put on the new speedo adapter and grease the area well, I can certainly ride the rest of this season without worrying about the bearing - but I'll have no speedo.

Anyone help? Thanks.

is is pondering this crazy year

Member #
    I had half of the speedo key stuck in my drive shaft. I had to drill out the old key, to be able to put the new one in. It'd be a whole lot easier to remove the drive shaft, but you'd have to pull the suspension, and yank the drive shaft out. You could wait until the end of the season if you really didn't want to do the work now. Hope this at least points you in a direction that helps you.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I had the same thing happen to a sled, I drilled a really small hole in the key and screwed in a small screw and pulled it right out. Sometimes you get lucky

is waiting for snow

Member #
    you can tip the sled on its side nd tap on the drive shaft with a hammer, closest to the bearing
    or if you have a pick set the long pointy one with a 90* on it may pull it out

the screw trick with out drilling take a small screw with a good pointy tip ans screw it in a few turns and pull on it

the key isn't solid its a spring like material its wound together to keep it flexible

This user has no status.

Member #
    The easiest way to remove it is to get a small chisel and a hammer then jack the back of the sled up so you can spin the track. Then at the end of the drive shaft you should be able to see a smaller diameter round insert that sticks out of the shaft. Take the chisel and hit the small insert at the base of where it meets the drive shaft. Be careful and tap while every few hits spin the shaft to hit all around the insert. It should start to come out. If it comes out ok you should be able to remove the speedo key and replace it with a new one. You can buy the insert if you do screw it up They are cheap.

is is pondering this crazy year

Member #
    I should mention that the broken end was seized into the shaft, that's why I had to drill it out. I used a small enough drill bit to drill the remainder of the key out, without damaging the square part of the shaft where the key fits in.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_500_Classic
    I should mention that the broken end was seized into the shaft, that's why I had to drill it out. I used a small enough drill bit to drill the remainder of the key out, without damaging the square part of the shaft where the key fits in.
    Thanks guys! All of your suggestions would probably work in some cases, but not in this one. I could get a screw to bite in to the key, but could not get it to budge when I went to pull/tap; the screw just popped out.

Drilling out the old key would probably work if I hadn't broke off a drill bit in the process!

[color=green]It looks like my only hope is to shorten the key a bit and only use the about 1" depth I have available - maybe assisting the fit with some expoxy that can be drilled out with the broken stub if this happens again.[/color=green]

Although I've only used it for about 100 miles (until all the snow went away!), I find that this old sled is really pretty nice for the wife and I to go out and explore our area. Thanks for all your help!

dubman
    is is waiting for more snow!

Member #
    they are suck a pain in the a$$ when they break off even me and my buddy just went through this on his 99 zl we wound up pulling everything and replacing the cog shaft just for a speedo who looks at it that often anyway?definatly an end of the season fixer

Links